“WONDERFUL !!!! WONDERFUL !!!! WONDERFUL !!!!”
Review of The Townhouse Restaurant - CLOSED

The Townhouse Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the vibrant Kemp Town area of Brighton, The Townhouse provides a welcome change from stuffy restaurant dining, offering relaxed service and wonderful food. Utterly chilled out, The Townhouse not only has a dining room and bar in which to enjoy the company of friends, but a piano room where guests gather around the baby grand to sip wine and enjoy the tinkling of the ivories.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL !!!! WONDERFUL !!!! WONDERFUL !!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

After visiting Brighton for many years we always looked in The Townhouse restaurant but never went in, well this year we did and the food was out of this world !!!!!..we booked the next 3 nights and evey night was wonderful, great menu and every mouthful was sheer heaven, to top it all if that was possible the staff were the very best we have ever come accross in any restaurant, i cant praise them enough, charming, warm, helpful and extremely kind....Brigette, Nick, the Geordie, the big lad with the beard and of course the bloody marvellous chef, THANK YOU !!!! for our 3 wonderful evenings with you.......GO AND VISIT THIS RESTAURANT GREAT VALUE...FOOD IS FABULOUS AND SERVED UP BY SIMPLY LOVELY STAFF ...THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

London, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Conveniently sited for most of Brighton's attractions, with a relaxed atmosphere and nice food. The decor may not suit all tastes but is not obtrusive.

Visited October 2013
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
“Wish we had discovered The Townhouse sooner!”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We came here for Sunday lunch, and were very pleasantly surprised at how good this place is. My roast lamb was great, decent roast spuds, loads of veg, yorkie pud, and an extra jug of gravy. My boyfriend had a whopping big burger with chunky chips, which he thoroughly enjoyed. My dessert of blackberry cheesecake was beautifully presented, and tasted very good too! The service was very friendly and efficient, so all in all a very enjoyable experience. We vowed to return, which we did, a couple of days later for dinner. Once again couldn't fault it. Our food was presented beautifully and was delicious. Our compliments to the chef and all the staff!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The atmosphere was great and the food superb! I would recommend this to everyone who wants to taste excellent food at decent prices.

brighton
“Jury's out”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Ate here last week for the first time since the new chef Malcolm Campbell arrived. The food is definitely much better than it used to be, with some really interesting and innovative touches. But the meal was let down by poor service which directly led to me spending less money on my meal (by deciding not to have a dessert) - something the owners need to think about and address.

We arrived on time for a 7pm reservation. Seeing some people enjoying a cocktail put me in the mood for one too, but we were shown to a table and given menus by a French lady, who then left without asking if we wanted a drink. Someone else came and started pouring water into glasses without us saying anything, so I asked if it was tap or filtered water, and on being told tap, I ordered some sparkling mineral water instead. When it came I asked the waitress about the fixed price dinner menu advertised on their website, but she told us in a gruff manner that that was only available up to 7pm. Their website doesn't say that at all, and my reservation was for 7pm, but hey ho, we stuck with the a la carte without question or fuss. We both had some questions about the menu and as soon as the waitress answered them we placed our order. But as that decision was taken there and then, I hadn't been able to choose which wines we wanted, so the waitress left us to decide. At this stage there were roughly 5 covers in the restuarant, so the waitress and waiter were not busy, yet she didn't notice my waving, or hear me call her several times. A full 10 minutes later she came over and rather bluntly asked if I had made my mind up yet! So it was that 30 minutes had passed from my thirsty arrival that I was served a drink.

The food was pretty good and portions were generous. I started with an unusual but tasty ham hock and black pudding terrine, deep fried in breadcrumbs. It came with some nice apple balls and a deliciously mild sauerkraut which worked a treat. Some sort of rough powder on the side though was like eating gravel.
My main was pork belly served with a really good deep fried ball of pig's cheek, an outstanding smoked cheese risotto, and a lovely jus. The belly itself lacked flavour, but the rest of the dish was excellent. That's why my overall opinion is that this chef is skilled and innovative, but as with all innovators, a little bit more practice is needed here and there to make the dishes truly shine.
Unfortunately, because of the poor service, we decided not to bother with dessert or coffees.