“Pub with great food ”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

There are a few eateries in the Ginger family and this was our first visit to the Dog. It looks like a traditional pub when you enter with tables and a few people standing around the bar. Then round the corner is a larger room set out for more formal dining. Menu was more compact than expected and there was a blackboard promoting a few seasonal specials. There’s a comprehensive drinks menu I enjoyed a g&t with local Brighton gin (fab, 10/10) and husband had a dark star beer. Some reviewers have mentioned that their food was not as hot as they would have liked - this was not our experience- in fact things were very hot indeed!! Starters were leek and potato soup for me and rabbit terrine for husband, then mushroom risotto for me ribeye steak & chips for husband. The dessert choices were disappointing - we shared some ice cream. Food lovely. Staff attentive and friendly. Prices above average. Also want to point out that parking was a challenge - no obvious near by car parks just street parking with meters.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Brighton has never been the culinary centre of the universe, but over the 20 years that I’ve lived here on and off, things have improved dramatically, especially in terms of cooking, if the service has always lagged behind somewhat. The Gingerman restaurant has always been solid, so was excited to take my girlfriend, her mother visiting from the US, and our 16 month old daughter to a late Sunday lunch at its gastro-pub offshoot. Things started well enough, the cocktails were delicious, and the waitress explained that one of the specials was out, but everything else was available. Our order was taken with minimal fuss. After a lengthy wait, our starters were frankly excellent. We then waited another long stretch for our mains. I’d ordered the pigeon, which was the only special, but was presented with venison. When I pointed out the mistake, the waitress seemed nonplussed, and asked me if there was anything I’d prefer. She explained that in fact pigeon had never been available and the supplier hadn’t turned up with any, but that the menu board was too difficult to reach, so they hadn’t bothered to change it. When I suggested that maybe they take off the incorrect item from the menu, or mention it when taking orders, she looked at me blankly. When I said that for expedience I’d accept the venison but asked that they remove the cost of my main from our bill, she seemed taken aback, and wandered off to see if that was possible(!)

The mains (fish pie, beef, the venison) were solid, if a little small, not exceptional for the price. The fish pie in particular was a tiny starter size. Our child was tired, but we thought we’d chance a quick dessert before heading off. We ordered two desserts and a cheese plate. At this point the place was nearly empty, and our waitress had settled in with the other staff for a drink at a nearby table, and the order was taken by a colleague. We waited the best part of 30 minutes for our desserts to arrive, our daughter getting more agitated by the minute. Eventually the waiter arrived to tell us our desserts would be here ‘soon’. Another 10 minutes passed and I asked them to cancel the desserts and give us the bill. We left, just over 2 hours after we’d arrived, after 2 courses, frustrated, tired and embarrassed that my girlfriend’s mother (who was paying) has such a bad experience. Not a word of apology, although they did remove my main and a bottle of wine from the bill. This place could be fine, but they really don’t care at all about service, are not attentive to the needs of customers (with a young child it should have been obvious that we wanted to get in and out fairly swiftly), and for high-ish restaurant prices it’s simply unacceptable. Such a pity, but you have better options than this in Brighton now.

1  Thank TravelPhilosopher
Reviewed 7 October 2017

I regularly eat here and am always impressed with the food. Whether dating, dining alone or with family or friends, the restaurant is charming and the service is great. They have amazing vege and fish dishes too!

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Reserved our table on Friday lunchtime 1pm no need really as there was only 2 other tables occupied. Service was efficient, but! The waiter was un clean in uniform and the general environment looks like it needs a good clean and some LTC. The food was average and took far to long to arrive for what we ordered.

Maybe midweek lunchtimes are not very busy and weekend is different, however they is no excuse for poor standards and slow food service.

This was such a good venue for lunch previously no so now.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We ate here on saturday night - a cold evening in mid September and on arrival as we were shaking off the rain, we happened to say that the weather 5 years earlier at our wedding was million times better - had the usual natter about the british weather and went to have our meal. It was just great as always - the marrow mash an absolute must - and at the end of the meal out came a plate with 2 very yummy chocs on it and decorated in piped chocolate around the edge was 'Happy Anniversary'!! Now thats good! So attentive and thanks guys for making it a special evening.