“Birthday cake disappointment”

Ranked #261 of 1,176 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

They didnt have any of my first 3 choices of cake so eventually I chose a slice of choc cake which I then realised was the next to last slice which may have had an effect on the taste - and it was awful Dense and dry with no choc filling in the middle I wish I'd had the cream tea which did look nice but this was a big disappointment I was also there 15 mins before closing and they started to pack everything up ! Hardly a relaxing time

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This cafe is shocking!!

We went as a group of four, 2 of us had the all day breakfast, small portion for £7.95. The breakfast even included lettuce and cucumber - I imagine just to make the portion look bigger. The sausage was inedible and a hard poached egg.

I had Welsh Rarebit, 1 and a half slices of bread!! How mean. Why would you only give half a slice? The other diner had the cream tea, a stale microwaved scone arrived with squirty cream, not even clotted cream.

We were ignored by passing waitresses as we tried to pay the bill, they looked at us and then walked past. The place was very busy, but I could see many people were unhappy with their meals and the atmosphere was chaotic.

Very unhappy, would never return.

1  Thank dancerz
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I personally loved the decor- my mother had Blue English Willow plates when I was a child, and I enjoyed being surrounded by their collection. It was a windy, rainy day, and the cafe provided a welcome respite, to pass the time while I was waiting for my bus to London, which was departing from just around the corner. I had a lovely elderflower drink (another trip to the past for me!) and a lemon drizzle cake, which was perhaps not as good as mine, but then, whose is?!

1  Thank Dawn1One
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Really excited with their breakfast(price is good too)! It's probably one of the most tasty english breakfasts I had. Can't say that the atmosphere is that nice but the food is! You should definately give it a try!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were passing by and all the cakes displayed by the windows looked amazing. So we went in and the moment we did, we were greeted by a very dull, unfriendly face. After being seated, we ordered 2 cakes to try with a cup of tea. I swear I can't bake to save my life but even I could bake a better cake than what they were selling. Absolute overpriced, dry, and bland taste. Small portion as well. We had a few bites and wanted to
cancel the tea and leave. There was a waitress cleaning the tables that were literally a meter away from ours. When we were calling her to ask for cancellation, it was obvious she was ignoring us because we were loud enough for everyone else in the room to hear. After several attempts to get her attention, people across our table told her we were waiting for her. She looked at us, rolled her eyes as she stopped cleaning the table and came to us. Unfortunately, tea was already served so we had some of it and left as soon as we can. Not only did we wasted money, we wasted time and tastebuds as well. Never going back there again.

1  Thank ceeweepee