“Consistently Excellent”

Plateau Brighton
Ranked #55 of 1,196 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$10 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Independent bar à vin, restaurant & cocktail bar based in The Lanes, Brighton. We are a unique bar à vin & restaurant with a passion for great food & wine. We have put a great deal of time & love into selecting our wines. At Plateau you can discover interesting & affordable wines that you are unlikely to see on other local wine lists. Our selection is mostly natural with some biodynamic & organic examples. We have sourced wines from local Sussex producers to renowned names & newcomers. To soak up the wine we serve ‘bites’, small dishes perfect to share or great as a starter. Follow your ‘bites’ with a ‘plateau’ to share or a 'plat' & that’s our dinner experience… although don’t forget dessert! Our chefs source organic, fresh, local produce as much as possible.Did we mention the cocktails?
Reviewed 28 December 2013

When my French in-laws are visiting, my husband and I always take them to Plateau. It's the only restaurant in Brighton where I know we're guaranteed fantastic food and impeccable service. We've tried other places in the same price bracket and they just don't compare.
We visited last night and started with a round of cocktails. Three of us had the sea bream fillet with lobster beignet and pommes anna while my mother-in-law had the halibut. All four dishes were outstanding, and we're a really hard to please bunch. Portion size is perfect; we've been to restaurants where the food is excellent but the portions so small we've had to eat something at home afterwards.
I should have gone for the pear charlotte with Earl Grey ice-cream for dessert; my husband ordered that and had to keep moving the plate away from my spoon; it was delicious. I had the banana cheesecake which was a little on the sweet side for me, but the peanut ice-cream made me gasp (in a good way). The in-laws had the chocolate and mandarin choux buns with hazelnut pastry; the buns were so light, the parfait absolutely spot on.
We ordered coffee; I'm typically English with how I like mine - weak and pale, like my men - and when I asked our waitress for more milk, rather than just go off and get some, she asked if it was too strong for me. I said it was, but that it was my fault, and not to worry, but she took it away and made me another with a small shot of espresso and separate jugs of milk and hot water so I could make it exactly to my taste. That was typical of the service at Plateau - she went out of her way to make it right, even though it was me being an idiot rather than them getting it wrong.
All in all another faultless, thoroughly enjoyable evening. If we could afford to, we'd eat here every week. If we win Euro Millions, we'll eat here every flipping day. So there.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I felt like drinking some wine and watching the world go by. We walked through the lanes and stumbled upon this place. Had a lovely time - the wine selection is impressive with many organic options. The service was excellent. Next time we go we'll stay and try out the food - the menu looked wonderful.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Hugely welcoming staff, cool bar and and clearly popular. We where seated down stairs, its not a big space but importantly its not over crowded, it was being really well managed, with customers waiting at the bar, there was a buzz of excitement with every plate that was carried from the lift rubber necked by all, waiting in anticipation for their dinner. The four of us decided to share the meat and fish platter.. Excellent.. every element of the platters were really thought out, the chef had mixed up a lot of flavors but it just worked, really generous portions as well, we all then had a main.. the waitress did warn us, she chuckled and advised us that we had ordered too much, we choice not to take her advice she was right, next time we would order half the amount, and probably finish of at the bar with a cool cocktail. Exciting wine list, just make sure you are really clear what you are ordering ask advice.. the staff and management are on hand to do just that, clearly they wanted everyone to a have a great experience. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I arranged for 28 of us to come to Plateau for lunch for our Christmas party. We are a lively bunch and the staff were fantastic. The food was amazing and the service top notch. We had a private dining area which was also very handy. We preordered food and drink and Lou was most helpful arranging this. Very reasonably priced as well considering we all had 3 courses and plenty on alcohol. Thank you for your hospitality!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We went on Saturday with our son and his partner and had a really enjoyable evening. The four of us had a different starter and were all happy with our choice, I had the skate which was delicious. The main meals were equally tasty and we all cleared our plates! We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful with our choices and I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Great food - great atmosphere!