“Best hotel in Brighton”

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Surrey
“Best hotel in Brighton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We have always had excellent service at this hotel. The reception staff are helpful and friendly, and informative. The rooms we have had have been lovely (although I do agree that a little more light would be nice). The beds are clean and comfortable with crisp linen, and the decor is modern. We did struggle with the heating this time (as we arrived on Boxing Day as opposed to the summertime) but after a little working out it was fine. However, we could have rung reception for help if we had needed to. We did have a superior room with a balcony and sea view, which was perfectly quiet (room 124) with no noise from the road or sea, even though the weather was atrocious. We pre booked a meal on Boxing Day evening, which was really nice - with crackers and hats provided - and we also pre booked breakfast for the next day, which was delicious. We have always had beautiful, clean, bathrooms including toiletries and towels. We have stayed in several hotels in Brighton, and been disappointed with every one until we stayed here at the Holiday Inn, and would never stay anywhere else in Brighton now. Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Brighton seafront.

I have passed these comments onto the team here at the Hotel, and we look forward to your next visit to the Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront.

Wayne Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed here on the 28th and 29th December in a kings sized bedroom. The bathroom was small but servicable (it looked like it was new) - had a funny smell which we worked out it was coming from the sink - kept the plug in and the smell went away. We stayed in room 201 which was to the side of building - wasn't the best situated room - crap view of air ducts but I think would have been quiet apart from the window catch was loose so the wind whistled through the crack. We thought the room was noisy when we went to bed and I worked out a 2am that the window had been left open (or so I thought) by the cleaner. I closed it and then it popped open again an hour later - didn't make for a good nights sleep first night. (It was extremely windy though). Second night I managed to wedge it shut. Good air con system. Overall room was a bit dated - TV could definately do with updating and the control to turn it off did not work. Lighting is a bit poor thoroughput the room (expect bathroom).

For what we paid it was OK, nice and cental to places we wanted to go - we have paid far more in other places. Staff were friendly enough. Drinks were a bit expensive but then it's a hotel so that's to be expected. Wetherspoons is a five min walk though so good for brekkie in the mornings. Would stay here again. I have said the sleep quality is "average" and the only reason is because of the window catch. Beds and pillows are comfy so I think we were just unlucky with the room they gave us.

We came up via train and it was about £6.00 from the train station to hotel. Station is approx 20 mins walk from hotel (up a hill though). We nearly always come to Brighton between Xmas and New Year and have driven before - parking is around £20 per day.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Jonca84,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Brighton.

Thank you for raising the issue regarding the window in your room, this has been passed onto maintenance and dealt with.

Regarding the tv's in the room and the dated appearence, this is something the Hotel is fully aware of and will be looking to freshen up and update bedrooms in the very near future.

Once again thank you for your comments, it is with such comments Holiday Inn can continue with quality service and quality standards throughout the Hotel.

Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

Because the price was reasonable we did not expect luxury but were satisfied with the comfort we got. The room (215) was not on the front but was quiet. It was adequately furnished with cheap and nasty furniture. As others have noticed the television belonged to a different era and there the lighting was poor. The plumbing was OK but there were no toiletries in the bathroom which had cracked tiles that needed replacing and re grouting. The lavatory seat was cheap plastic you might expect in a hostel. It was however beautifully clean.
The staff were pleasant and helpful and fairly knowledgeable.
It is worth mentioning the parking and the breakfast. The parking is £18 which I though out of all proportion to the cost of the hotel. I have no idea if the fault is the hotel or the city but next time I come to Brighton for an event I may be more inclined to drive home after. It is important to note you cannot get into the car park without a token obtained from reception so what ever your SatNav says drive into the slip road in front of the hotel first and not up a side road. Train is an option but although the hotel is in an excellent location the station isn't and it seems some Victorian clown decided to stop the railway before it reached into the town.
Breakfast is quite expensive and £5 more if you do not book this in advance so you are put in a quandary. It is adequate but not good enough to look forward to.

1 Thank gmm83
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront.

I have passed on your positive comments regarding staff friendliness and service to the team here at the Hotel.

The Hotel will be undertaking a bedroom refurbishment during the next couple of years, as you and many other guests have mentioned the rooms are in need of modernising, so this will be a priority.

Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Brighton seafront in the near future.

kind regards,

Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

Booked this hotel for the three day Christmas break.

We booked an excuctive room which was ok, nothing special. The rooms are in need of refurbishment, more than a lick of paint! The lighting is poor, 2 bedside lights 1 dressing table lamp and 1 by the wardrobe (right by the entrance door), could have done with a light in the main part of the bedroom, I should add the lights were not very bright. The tv was not an up to date flat screen one which I was surprised and the remote control didn't work, not very convenient.

Bathroom could do with upgrading the sealant was in some parts black. there was a notice in the bathroom to keep the door closed when bathing/showering as the steam may set of the fire alarm!! Why could they not put in an extractor fan in, this may solve the mildew problem plus it means you don't have to wait for the mirror to clear from the steam.

Reception and the dining room where fine. All meals taken over the Christmas period were very good. There was plenty of choice, and I have to add the beef on Christmas day was lovely, cooked medium rare, as it should be (IMO) Staff were very attentive.

We stayed here 6 years ago on the same 3 day Christmas package and I would say there were not so many guests staying this time. All in all for what we payed the price was good, would we stay here again not realy sure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront.

I have shared these comments with the team here, in particular the positive comments regarding staff service and food quality.

I agree with your comments regarding the bedroom and the need for updating. The Hotel will be undertaking a bedroom refurbishment over the next couple of years, which will improve the appearence and quality of the bedrooms.

Once again thank you for your comments, and will hopefully see you in December 2013.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Unfortunately, as a couple whose work takes them to hotels all over the world, we have to say that this hotel is probably the worst we have stayed in. Starting with the positives, the location is good, Wifi is inclusive, the lobby updated and the view from anywhere in the hotel is also reasonable. Customer service on our second night from the Front Office Manager was good - but previous had been terrible.

However, the room was freezing cold, with a significant draft coming through the bathroom. The room had a significant portion of door frame missing and the bathroom itself was both dated and dirty. When this was raised only on the second occasion was a supplementary heater provided which did improve things but was still exceedingly cold. We had to put this between the bathroom and the main room to make it even livable.

The first night weather outside was poor so we decided to dine in the restaurant. First of all, in what must be a circa 45 seat restaurant with 11 people sat at the time, we were first frowned at when we said we did not have a reservation and then informed that they did not have enough menus and we would have to wait until the table party of 11 had done ordering. Once this had happened, it took 35 minutes to prepare our order (a simple burger). Whilst the food was definitely reasonable the service in the restaurant was appalling.

Overall a dirty, dated experience with (with the exception of the Front Office Manager on the second evening) exceedingly poor customer service.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. If you do stay closer to the bottom where it is likely to be warmer.
2 Thank PhilAndrews77
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear PhilAndrews77,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. We have taken note of your comments regarding the condition of your room and the level of service you received at our restaurant. These will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us, and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

The Positives
Every member of staff I interacted with provided excellent service with friendly check in & room service and attentiveness in the dining room for breakfast.

The range of items available a breakfast was excellent with everything seeming to be fresh and well presented. The Dining room itself is also well laid out and a really nice environment.

The Negatives
I was upgraded to an "Executive" room as I'm a platinum Priority Club member but the standard of the room just about reached what might be acceptable as a standard room elsewhere. The lack of lighting means the room look quite gloomy or maybe that's a deliberate ploy so you can't see the state of the furniture!

Chipped edges to the desk revealing the chipboard underneath, wardrobe doors which were just about falling apart and the entrance door with evidence of having been forced from the split wood at the lock.

Turning on the shower at 7am the next morning I found that the button to adjust the temperature had been forced in and couldn't be adjusted resulting in scalding hot water and an unusable bath and shower. Washing hair in the sink is not the best way to start the morning. I could have asked for a new room but realistically at that point of the morning I just didn't have the time for it before heading into work.

The room service meal arrived quickly and the staff who served it were friendly and helpful but having chosen fish and chips (it's the seaside after all!) I found the fish to be of very poor quality and the batter dark and greasy on the outside and undercooked with raw batter on the inside.

I'll be honest, I chose the hotel to earn the priority club points but I'm not sure that would be enough to persuade me to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank soph-taylor
Dear Guest,

I have passed on your positive comments regarding the staff friedliness and service too all departments within the Hotel.

The Hotel will be undertaking a bedroom refurbishment over the next couple of years, as you and many others have stated the rooms are looking very tired and in need of some attention.

Once again thank you for your comments, and I look forward to you staying at the Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront in the near future.

Cambridgeshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stay in Holiday inns quite regularly so always know what to expect. The location of this one was good, on seafront and a short walk to everything you need. The foyer is bright an airy. We did not have breakfast here so cannot comment (in my experience breakfast is good, £9.95 but you do get a lot).

We had a deluxe room - for two nights.

I will start with the positive - the night staff (in particular Alan) were most helpful and attentive. He made our stay.. Thank you

The room itself was dated, I must concur with some of the other comments. The televisions were poor quality and picture quality was not so good. Not what I expect from a holiday inn in such a prominent position and competing with a range of chain hotel nearby.

Our wardrobe doors were broken and could not open properly, the bathroom was dated as well.

None of this spoiled our stay as the room was clean and comfortable. However I do think that for the price you pay (esp in a deluxe room) you expect the room to have things that work.

I think the hotel needs a little TLC but otherwise is a great location, staff are brill and I would stay again despite the faults.

2 Thank mmmmcupcake
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Guest,

I have passed your comments onto the team here, in particular Alan from our night team who you had mentioned had been very helpful.

The Hotel will be undertaking a bedroom refurbishment over the next 24 months, as you and many othetrs have mentioned the rooms are dated and this is at the top of our agenda.

Once again thank you for your comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Brighton Seafront very soon.