“Great Teamwork”

Glasgow
“Great Teamwork”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Hi

I have just attended a conferene in this hotel. Lovely room, great view, but the best thing about it was the excellent teamwork i witnessed throughout my stay. Friendly polite welcomming staff and believe it or not i actually saw the general manager out of his office, a first for a long time!!!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 7 July 2008
What more can I say but thank you for your kind words

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 11 June 2008

We have just returned from 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Brighton to celebrate my wife's 40th. I pre booked directly with the hotel and was given a double room with a sea view which was turned into a family room by the addition of a sofa bed. We arrived a couple of hours before check in time and were let into the room early which was appreciated after a long drive. The room was a nice size with a huge double bed for my wife and I but unfortunately the kids were not to have it so good. The sofa bed in the room was meant to sleep my 2 kids (aged 6 & 10) but it was barely bigger than a single. It was also very old (I'm guessing 20 years) and to be honest I wouldn’t expect a dog to sleep on it. The mattress was about an inch thick with the springs sticking through and sagged badly in the middle - not what you expect for 300 pounds for 2 nights.
The first night was spent 3 in the big bed with the 10 year old on a newly added single sofa bed (also not comfy at all, old and dusty).
When we tried to shower before dinner we found that the shower hose was split and squirted water all over the bathroom floor.
The first night was very noisy - we were on the 2nd floor - a few yards away from a club that blasted loud music till 4am!
The following morning after informing reception of our woes we were promptly moved to a different room with 2 single slightly more comfortable sofa beds which made our second night much more bearable.
Now on to the good bits.............The staff were all very very helpful and apologetic. We were on the 'Dinner Experience Package' which gave us inclusive dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings. I have to say the food/restaurant/waiters in this hotel were excellent! I couldn’t have asked for better. We ate in the hotel the second night as well and it was to die for!
To sum things up – I would stay here again as I believe it’s quite rare to encounter hotel staff who seem to genuinely care. I would definitely ask about the condition of any extra beds in the room though.
I hope this review is helpful.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ipas
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 19 June 2008
Thank you your feedback following your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Brighton-Seafront

All the Seaview Rooms have 4’6” sofa beds so are the same size as a standard double bed but with your comments in mind have arranged for my head housekeeper to look at all mattress’s within the hotel sofa beds. The shower hose has now been replaced.

Your feedback regarding the food and staff was great and will ensure the team here are made aware of this.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Nottingham
Reviewed 10 June 2008

My wife and I spent a Sunday night at the hotel which was booked directly on the Holiday Inn web. The rate of £137 included a sea view and full breakfast and a free bottle of wine.I am one of those I am afraid that cannot see the point of staying at the seasiside and not having a sea view room - pardon the pun!.

Sadly, due to its past life the exterior of the hotel is not too pleasing on the eye apart from the ground floor. This has a nice decking area outside where a jazz band were playing and has a nice view of the the old wrecked West pier and the beach.The reception is very large and clean and has a marble floor and a modern look. Check in was very efficient and quick.

We were allocated room 311 which was on the end of the building and had a lovely view and was very large and a comfortable king size bed. The balcony was also very large and as it was a lovely sunny day we were able to sit on it and watch the world go by. Be warned though that the road in front of the hotel gets very very busy and it won't be quiet. I would add though that when the windows were closed the road noise was minimal. The room has air conditioning which was put to good use at night for sleeping with the windows shut to keep out the road noise.All the hotels on the front must have the same issue.
The windows were a little dirty but I suspect that unless you cleaned them every day the sea salt and spray is always going to be a problem. It didn't worry us though as we were outside and didn't need to look through them!

The bathroom was quite modern and clean even if a litle sparse of toiletries. In fact there were no shower caps but one was promptly brought to the room when my wife asked for one. The room had tea and cofee making faciliteis and some biscuits and an empty fridge (ideal for a quick visit to the local supermarket.)

The free white wine was delivered to the room very promptly when asked for and deliverd in a nice bucket of ice.

The breakfast the following morning was excellent with a good choice of hot and cold food.

Check out was quick and easy and the bags were looked after while we had another wander round Brighton and in particular The Lanes..All in all if I ended up in the same room then I would have no problems in staying again for perhaps one or two nights. The view and location are superb, but rememebr you are on Brighton sea front and it does get busy in the summer. We like to enjoy all the hustle and busle that goes with Brighton on a sunny afternoon as it goes with the teritory so it didn't worry us. Sat in the sun people watching can be very therapeutic!!.

An effort had been made to make the rooms more modern even though the remnants of the its last life as The Bedford Hotel were still to be seen here and there. Think THF/Thislte in the 60's. However, please don't let this put you off as in the main they are doing all they can to make that visual aspect of its past life less and less. Staff were very pleasant and efficient.

Give it a try but make sure you get a sea view room and that will ensure you get off to a good start..

• Liked — Room view and large balcony big enough to sit on
  • Disliked — The external appearance on the outside of the upper floors - pity but not a lot can be done about that
    • Check-in / front desk
Good location - fine for a couple of nights

What fantastic feedback and thank you for posting this on here.

The Seaview rooms, whilst charge a premium, do offer a lot more in terms of space and of course the obvious sea view. All our bedrooms here are fully air-conditioned and in the last 18 months have undergone refurbishment works.

Brighton is a lively resort and being on the seafront some guests will prefer to be towards the back of the hotel where the outlook is not so lively which we are happy to accommodate.
Datchworth, England
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We have just returned from a stay at the hotel.

The check in was swift and efficient with smiling staff. We were give a free upgrade to an executive room that was very much appreciated. The room was a good size, clean with comfortable beds.

We had requested a taxi to Brighton race track which duly arrived as requested.

Breakfast was wonderful with a buffet style that catered for all tastes.

We used the express check out that was hassle free and very easy.

The hotel foyer is clean ,modern with a nice bar and restaurant both with great views of the sea.

Overall a wonderful stay with friendly staff, I would recommend this hotal to all.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing to add.
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for your excellent feedback which is no more than I can ask from anyone and is all that we here are about.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2008

I stay regularly at the Holiday Inn in MK and so have seen many of the rooms there, and think I know what to expect from a Holiday Inn.

The hotel from the outside is very very ugly, but I think this is due to the age of the building.

The reception is clean, marble and welcoming very different to the outside.

First of all we were given room 514, we went in, and I wasnt that impressed. It was not to the usual HI standard that I am used to, we were told at reception that for £50 we could upgrade to a sea view, which I felt was a little steep.
We didnt, but did have a side on sea view, however you could not see this at all because the windows were absolutely filthy!! The room was ok, not very modern, felt a bit tired and worn! The toilet wouldnt flush either. My other half wasnt happy, so we went downstairs, they changed us no problems to 224, this room was of a better standard, felt brighter and cleaner.

I am used to the HI MK which has a mini bar, free toiletries etc - in a standard room! This didnt have it.

However, I had a pleasant stay. Breakfast the next day was fab, hot, plentiful and lots of choice which I am used to with HI. We had breakfast at 9.30am, when it closed at 10am and we did not feel we were missing out.

One niggle, which my OH needs to sort out is, we had to pay £50 on arrival for any charges to the room. We were told this wouldnt be taken from the card, was 'just in case'. However, the £50 was taken, and we did not charge anything to the room. My OH is looking into sorting this out, but is slightly inconvenient - just as well he had that money in the bank!!!!

Would I return - not sure, if it was very cheap I would, but the location was not what I am used to - we normally stay in Kemp Town, this did feel a bit far in the other direction but I dont mind a walk.

However, the room did put me off as did the £50 charge!

Plus this trip was for my birthday, and the room itself, did not have that special feel I was hoping for on my birthday!

• Check-in / front desk
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 9 June 2008
Thank you for placing your comments on here.

Whilst the exterior of the hotel is not great I am pleased that you found the interior welcoming.

As with most seafront hotels we battle against the elements. The windows are cleaned monthly inside and out but if we have an extreme weather this can cause the windows to become dirtier that you would expect and apologise that you found this.

Mini Bars and additional toiletries are only standard in Executive Rooms. Here in Brighton we have 23 Executive rooms which can be booked at additional cost of £25 per night. I assure you it is not standard to have these facilities within any HI hotel in a standard bedroom. Being the only HI on the seafront in the UK we are able to offer guests the opportunity to upgrade to full sea facing room. These rooms are larger and offer the added benefit of a private balcony.

Being the last meal guests have we have carried out a major review of breakfast in the last 6 months and am very pleased to read you positive comments.

Any guest checking in to the hotel is required to give a credit card authorisation on arrival of £50 per night. This is an authorisation only and not a charge to your card/account though it will reduce your spending limit by this amount for a short period. I assure you the funds are not removed from your account but held. We do this so guests can charge onto their room account.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Taunton, Somerset
Reviewed 2 June 2008

The check in was very helpful, infact all the staff were. Unfortunatley the room hadn't been properly serviced, so I was upgraded. I had to send back my Steak in the evening as it didn't smell very good, and so didn't bother with breakfast - maybe a one off but if this puts you off there are plenty of places around, including one that looked very good right across the road. The rooms are okay, but to be honest the whole place looks a little shabby - I'd only stay there on business, wouldn't use it for a weekend break.

• Liked — Staff were helpful.
  • Disliked — Food was dire - hotel a little shabby, I'm sure there's better around for your money!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your feedback following your stay. I apologise that you found your 1st room un-serviced but pleased to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade and staff were helpful.

As I stated in the email I sent to you on the morning of your departure a full investigation would be carried out on the food you ordered. I am pleased to confirm that no issues were found with the food.

Having undergone a £3.5m refurbishment of the hotel it is disappointing to read that you found the hotel shabby.

Thank you for your feedback and assure you that where possible action is always taken.
bucks
Reviewed 31 May 2008

i have to say that im surprised by the amount of negative reviews i have read about this hotel because out of all the places ive stayed in at brighton (and thats a lot) this is the best one,in fact i loved it so much ive booked my wedding reception there, I found the staff great and helpful,the reception staff were warm and welcoming and whenever i have come into contact with the management staff they have been fantastic! the foods great,breakfast especially! and as for the decor its anything but shabby i think its lovely. We had a seaview room and while the balcony could do with some attention i was too busy admiring the views and sipping my wine to be bothered by it. I would definatly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice break. And also a lovely venue for a party. I love the public areas ladies toilets the old powder room thing is fab i love it. theres a childrens play area with a t.v and toys and things.
All in all i love this hotel and i love brighton!

• Liked — the breakfast!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your very kind words and glad to see that because of the team here you have booked your wedding.

We are in the final stages of our refurbishment programme here and though I see you like the powder room as it currently stands this will be very shortly undergoing a refurbishment to improve the public toilets. I hope you prefer the new scheme and am pleased to say the powder facility will remain.

Thank you once again.