“Is this really a Holiday Inn???????”

Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
“Is this really a Holiday Inn???????”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Note to Holiday Inn (IHG) - please show a more representive room quality on your own website of this Hotel, maybe worth a secret audit visit?

I was amazed, booked after looking on the Holiday Inn iPhone app, which provides a rather modern apprearance. If i had known the pictures were from the day after any historic repaint and decoration then I would have stayed somewhere else.

Once your away from recpetion the hotel and my room was like stepping back in time! It's so tired and worn without a regular maintenance programme in place

My room had damage the the window cladding which caused a draft past the double section glazing... the curtain would move with the draft.

The bathroom was very dated, it would appear a refurb may have been started but definatly not finished, the tiling was outside of the bath, it smelt damp, there were no normal HI luxuries like soap bar in the room.

Maybe i was lucky to have the HI pen to use?

The flatscreen LCD tv looked so out of place in the room which was a step back to the 80's at best.

The parking charge was comical, £18.00 to park your car for the night - this is more than parking in HI in London, say Greenwich. Looks too much like a £margin for the hotel and the cheek is the hotel shares the carpark with other companies.

Ok, now here the good bits. Lady on reception was great, very welcoming and warm. Secondly the breakfast was really good. Up to HI standards in that respect.

If this hotel had a major refurbishment then it could charge its £90+ per night, otherwise its simply looking to its location as its advantage. But considering the number of hotel choices next door and up the seafront it most probably is not willing tos pend the required £££ to be better.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before check in
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Zorrosmart
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Zorrosmart,
I am pleased that you found the reception staff welcoming and that you enjoyed the breakfast here at the hotel.
With regards to your comments pertaining to the decor,we are in the process of making many enhancements to the hotel and the flats screen TVs were the 1st of many.
The car park layout is also something we are looking into but the price for Brighton is comparable to the other car parks in the area.
I do hope in the future you decide to give us another try,
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a friend. When booking online I booked a twin room with two beds on arrival i find there is only ONE 4'6" double bed. I went to reception to ask to be moved to the room I had booked and was told there was none available and it was subject to availability !!! Nothing about that when I booked?! They said dont worry we will put another bed in the room turned out to be a camp bed. At 129 pounds a night a camp bed is NOT acceptable. The second night the fire alarm went off THREE times in the middle of the night and the hotel was evacuated. the hotel guests were left standing outside for approximately an hour in our nightclothes. there were elderly guests and not one member of the staff came out to see how we were or to offer blankets to their elderly guests. they all stayed inside in the warm. This was the early hours of November 14th 2013. On checking out we asked if there was any form of compensation being offered and were told NO. If it had been a real fire that was understandable but turned out of bed three times in one night for a FAULT !! Thats the hotels fault never slept a wink that night. I will NEVER stay there again or recommend anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tracey B,
I have read your review and I am sorry if you feel the fire evacuation was not handled correctly, all our staff do receive regular training pertaining to fire evacuation and are advised to treat all alarms as real emergencies until it has been investigated and we have been given the all clear.
I do understand on this particular night that the alarm was sounded twice and that the fire response teams called to investigate.
I do apologize that this interrupted your stay.
Safety in the Hotel is our number one priority however I will use these comments for future trainings as its only through Guest feedback we can continuously enhance our procedure’s,
regards
Wayne Mansfield

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I have just spent a night at the Holiday Inn on the seafront at Brighton. The hotel has a great location , right on the promenade and with a seafront view the rooms must be lovely. Im afraid we didnt get such a room. The room on the fifth floor was clean and servicable that I must stress. However every door , every wall and every carpet needs some decoration. The entire hotel is cold and uninviting, the reception foyer is dreadful, so much space, but cold and dreary. The bathroom whilst everything worked well and the water was piping hot at all times, needs ripping out and replacing. Chipped enamel to the bath, stained woodwork and attempts to use bathroom filler beyond belief. The grouting was also dirty. Let me say the staff were fine at all times, pleasant and polite, no arguments here. Finally after paying £99 room only for a fourth division Premier Inn, I was charged £18 for a nights parking in the underground car park, that looked like somewhere in the Bronx. Unbelievable, the cost can only be called scandalous.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear STEVE P,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am very pleased that you found the staff friendly.
you mention in your comments about areas of the hotel such as the rooms which need attention and we are aware of this and have huge plans for the New year to make several changes to all our public areas and guest bedrooms.
parking was also mentioned and we are too looking at the car park by way of how it can be enhanced however the price is comparable to other car parks in this area.
I do hope you will come and give us another chance in the future.
Wayne Mansfield,
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This is an average hotel at best, it is tired and needing some TLC. The rooms are distinctly well worn with frayed carpets, lights that don't work and bathrooms that are grubby in appearance. The walls seem paper thin as noise from other guests was clearly audible. There is free wi-fi and the location is good, but the bar is expensive.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear George_The_pig,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the Wi-Fi.
I have mentioned in other reviews we are in the process of making several enhancements to the hotel and I am sure if you do decide to come and stay with us in the future you will not be disappointed,
General manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Redeemed for one night and the room has no sea view and no balcony. The room was for 100 quits but there was nothing special. It was clean and the decoration is very out dated. Very expensive parking fees. Close to the sea fronts and shops, walking distant to major attractions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear K N,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I am glad that you found the room clean.
you mention the parking in your review but the parking at the hotel is comparable to the other car parks in Brighton.
I do hope you come and stay with us again as we are in the process of making several enhancements to the hotel,
Reading
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend. It is very easy to find as right on the seafront with parking underneath v secure.The building itself is probably from the 1970's, but was v clean. The staff were friendly.

Our room was perfect, large and a sea view with a balcony.

From the hotel it was 10-15 mins to Palace Pier and a great location for exploring Brighton.

We ate in the restaurant and it was a nice large restaurant.

Would stay again for location and the parking.

Nice place for a break in brighton.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Stumpy12345,
I was very happy to read your review and I am pleased you had a great stay with us here at the hotel.
I do look forward to welcoming you back again soon,
General manager
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I got enticed by this hotel by looking at the photos on their web site. The first thing I noticed was the terrible smell when entering the lobby. I got registered and moved on to my room which looked really terrible. All furniture looked 20 year old, worned out. The mattress and pillows are thin as you can get them.

I just arrived from an oversea fligth and needed to eat/drink and went to the 'no-service' bar. The bar table was dirty and stinky. I sat there and waited 10 minutes, to find out that you need to go to the barman and place your drink/food order. Good thing that he delivered the goods a few minutes later.

After lunch, I went back to the room to give it a second look and decided it was time for me to ask for a room upgrade (ready to pay some extra). The lady at the counter told me that they had no more rooms left. I decided to get out of there and find another hotel room somewhere else.

Travellers beware! This hotel requires a serious renovation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Design2013,
I am sorry you decided not to stay with us here at the hotel.
I have taken onboard your comments and they have been discussed with the departments here at the hotel.
Wayne mansfield