“Weekend shopping trip”

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Weekend shopping trip”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights staff very helpful and the hotel was very clean nice and quiet. We paid for breakfast extra and it was very good and the staff very helpful and friendly we would go back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Angela S,
Thank you for sending us your comments, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and your shopping trip,
we hope to welcome you back again soon,
Wayne Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Booked a last minute trip using reward points, carpark was full and £18, although that seems to be par for the course for that area. That bathroom was skanky, the toilet was very hard to flush, the wire tray had come away from the tiling and the soap dispenser fell apart sending a chunky piece of metal into the bath. The carpet in the room did not appear to have been vacuumed, all in all the room fell far short of what should be expected at any Holiday Inn. Let's hope hope room 224 has all the these points, mentioned at checkout, rectified.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Bruce G,
Thank you for your comments pertaining to your stay here at the Holiday Inn Brighton Sea front.
We, here at the Holiday Inn pride ourselves on a high standard of service so it was very concerning to learn of your dissatisfaction and I would like to reassure you that your comments have been taken very seriously.
One of my key focuses is ensuring we achieve the high standards of customer satisfaction that the Holiday Inn brand is known for.
regards
Wayne Mansfield

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I've stayed in this hotel a few years back when it was the Hilton Brighton West Pier. Back then it was a tatty grotty old place - a disgrace to the hilton name. It is now a holiday inn and has had some improvements but frankly nothing like enough. Its less mouldy smelling but is still a bit tatty and basic. It might be ok if it was a Holiday Inn Express but this is the premium Holiday Inn brand. Bed very soft and worn, gave me a bad back, cracked tiles, generally a bit poor and a loud party downstairs. To be fair, brighton is littered with terrible hotels so this doesn't stand out but really holiday inn could do better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ian T,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am sorry you did not find it stood up to your expectations.
I have mentioned in other reviews we are in the process of several enhancements to the hotel the 1st one of which was to upgrade the TVs in the rooms.
I do hope you might come and visit us again in the future, I am sure you will notice many improvements.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My partner book a last minute night away for us as a treat. Our heating was not working, we booked a double bed but on arrival had twin beds. We paid on line & twice on our stay they tried to bill us!! We got a fan heater & the oldest blankets to make up for an ice cold room without heating!! So much for romance!!
We had loud 'neighbours' that we had to call down to reception twice, to complain, first time 1am then again after 2am. Management came up to ask them to keep it down... We could smell they were smoking drugs next door (as our bathroom stank of it) at 5.30am I went down to reception myself to complain, I was so upset. After management said he could smell they had been smoking, that should have been reason to ask them to leave being illegal to smoke ANY thing in a public building... but no!!
Instead we had them (the neighbours ) shouting & cursing us till they finally left at 8am. The others (neighbours friends) in another room, were asked to leave, as they were found with the drugs. The hotel offered no apologies when we went down to reception to check out, after 2-3 hours of stressful cold night 'sleep' I had to ask what was done about it, the manager over heard me at the reception desk, came to tell us that they found drugs on the others and fined them. So we got = a sleepless cold night!! The hotel got £250 (from the fined neighbours + all the rooms paid for, the rude 'neighbours' got to party all night!! Only been asked to leave at 8am after we heard 4 different people/ rooms had complained about them. What am I missing here? We got offered a up grade next time stayed!! I would rather pay £40 more and stay at the Grand ... A real 4* hotel...well so I hear.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RosJag
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear RosJag,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Note to Holiday Inn (IHG) - please show a more representive room quality on your own website of this Hotel, maybe worth a secret audit visit?

I was amazed, booked after looking on the Holiday Inn iPhone app, which provides a rather modern apprearance. If i had known the pictures were from the day after any historic repaint and decoration then I would have stayed somewhere else.

Once your away from recpetion the hotel and my room was like stepping back in time! It's so tired and worn without a regular maintenance programme in place

My room had damage the the window cladding which caused a draft past the double section glazing... the curtain would move with the draft.

The bathroom was very dated, it would appear a refurb may have been started but definatly not finished, the tiling was outside of the bath, it smelt damp, there were no normal HI luxuries like soap bar in the room.

Maybe i was lucky to have the HI pen to use?

The flatscreen LCD tv looked so out of place in the room which was a step back to the 80's at best.

The parking charge was comical, £18.00 to park your car for the night - this is more than parking in HI in London, say Greenwich. Looks too much like a £margin for the hotel and the cheek is the hotel shares the carpark with other companies.

Ok, now here the good bits. Lady on reception was great, very welcoming and warm. Secondly the breakfast was really good. Up to HI standards in that respect.

If this hotel had a major refurbishment then it could charge its £90+ per night, otherwise its simply looking to its location as its advantage. But considering the number of hotel choices next door and up the seafront it most probably is not willing tos pend the required £££ to be better.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before check in
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Zorrosmart
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Zorrosmart,
I am pleased that you found the reception staff welcoming and that you enjoyed the breakfast here at the hotel.
With regards to your comments pertaining to the decor,we are in the process of making many enhancements to the hotel and the flats screen TVs were the 1st of many.
The car park layout is also something we are looking into but the price for Brighton is comparable to the other car parks in the area.
I do hope in the future you decide to give us another try,
General Manager.
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I stayed here for two nights with a friend. When booking online I booked a twin room with two beds on arrival i find there is only ONE 4'6" double bed. I went to reception to ask to be moved to the room I had booked and was told there was none available and it was subject to availability !!! Nothing about that when I booked?! They said dont worry we will put another bed in the room turned out to be a camp bed. At 129 pounds a night a camp bed is NOT acceptable. The second night the fire alarm went off THREE times in the middle of the night and the hotel was evacuated. the hotel guests were left standing outside for approximately an hour in our nightclothes. there were elderly guests and not one member of the staff came out to see how we were or to offer blankets to their elderly guests. they all stayed inside in the warm. This was the early hours of November 14th 2013. On checking out we asked if there was any form of compensation being offered and were told NO. If it had been a real fire that was understandable but turned out of bed three times in one night for a FAULT !! Thats the hotels fault never slept a wink that night. I will NEVER stay there again or recommend anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tracey B,
I have read your review and I am sorry if you feel the fire evacuation was not handled correctly, all our staff do receive regular training pertaining to fire evacuation and are advised to treat all alarms as real emergencies until it has been investigated and we have been given the all clear.
I do understand on this particular night that the alarm was sounded twice and that the fire response teams called to investigate.
I do apologize that this interrupted your stay.
Safety in the Hotel is our number one priority however I will use these comments for future trainings as its only through Guest feedback we can continuously enhance our procedure’s,
regards
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I have just spent a night at the Holiday Inn on the seafront at Brighton. The hotel has a great location , right on the promenade and with a seafront view the rooms must be lovely. Im afraid we didnt get such a room. The room on the fifth floor was clean and servicable that I must stress. However every door , every wall and every carpet needs some decoration. The entire hotel is cold and uninviting, the reception foyer is dreadful, so much space, but cold and dreary. The bathroom whilst everything worked well and the water was piping hot at all times, needs ripping out and replacing. Chipped enamel to the bath, stained woodwork and attempts to use bathroom filler beyond belief. The grouting was also dirty. Let me say the staff were fine at all times, pleasant and polite, no arguments here. Finally after paying £99 room only for a fourth division Premier Inn, I was charged £18 for a nights parking in the underground car park, that looked like somewhere in the Bronx. Unbelievable, the cost can only be called scandalous.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear STEVE P,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am very pleased that you found the staff friendly.
you mention in your comments about areas of the hotel such as the rooms which need attention and we are aware of this and have huge plans for the New year to make several changes to all our public areas and guest bedrooms.
parking was also mentioned and we are too looking at the car park by way of how it can be enhanced however the price is comparable to other car parks in this area.
I do hope you will come and give us another chance in the future.
Wayne Mansfield,