“Decent property close to beach & pier”

Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront
Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Greenacres,Fl
“Decent property close to beach & pier”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Holiday Inn Seafront in Brighton is a normal Holiday Inn with decent rooms, seaside views of the Brighton beach and close to both the pier & Brighton Centre (about 3 blocks from the venue), where I recently saw the mighty Status Quo..it's not the Grand, which is probably the most famous & nicest hotel in Brighton ( and $$), but for one night, it was fine. Staff was very helpful, and in fact, one gal directed us to a pub called the Lion & Lobster, which I have just reviewed, and it was outstanding...we got the buffet at the hotal for 9 pounds, which in the UK is a steal ( most are 13-18 pounds), and it was hot, with plenty of choices including yummy British sausages, eggs, potatoes, ham, bacon, all the greasy typical British breakfast which I love, I must admit ( hey, for ONE morning, its's OK,lol..) ..there is a bar with several draft beers, and I used my Holiday Inn points + cash to stay...would recommend this place, as long as you realize it's a 3 star hotel ( maybe 3.5), not 5 or even 4...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Statusone,
Thankyou for taking the time to review the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us.
I hope you come and visit us again when you are in Brighton.
Wayne Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Gran Canaria
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The standard of the rooms have improved every time we visited. The breakfast which we love is now even tastier thanks to a quicker replenishment of the food and thanks to the attentive staff and is now the best around. The welcome is one of the best anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ChrisTim,
Thank you for posting your comments and I am please that you enjoyed your stay here.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed here end of November with 3 friends. Arrived on a Saturday afternoon and were booked in quickly with no trouble. We were also given complimentary wifi which was quite a nice touch!

The room was very clean and tidy, as was the bathroom. Everything worked well, the shower the tv etc and I can't see why so many people moan about the hotel on here, you're not going for a night at The Ritz and at £98 for a double room I don't think you can really complain...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveljjb8
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Joecull1
Thankyou for taking the to review the hotel and I am glad you were able to check in quickly and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,
Regards,
Morden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is not one I will stay in again. The "executive suite" I paid for with King size bed, was certainly not King size!! My bedding and pillows were awful, the lighting in the room is awful. My nites sleep was awful due to noisy guests in corridors, and if I didn't say before really god awful rubbish bed!!!!! The space of the room is good. The shower was good. The customer service of the desk was good but when we needed help with directions we were told "i only live down the road so get a bus from the front - just so you know there are NO buses that run along the front, they run from the town!! Not even a Bus stop on the front!!
I have stayed other Holiday inns and this by far is the worst and I def won't be returning.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julie n
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Julie n,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I am sorry some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and i will be talking to the team to make sure that they are able to give better directional advice,
we are in the process of making many enhancements to the hotel so i do hope if you re vist Brighton you choose to give us another try,
regards
Wayne Mansfield

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Last weekend I took 148 people to a Ball that we held at the Holiday Inn and it was absolutely brilliant! The food was lovely, the room was decorated beautifully and the staff were fantastic - we really couldn't ask for more. We held our event in aid of a local charity and the Holiday Inn offered us a lot more for our money than other venues/hotels.
I will definitely be booking the Holiday Inn on Brighton Seafront again for our Ball next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Chazeroo,
thank you for taking the time to post your comments it was our pleasure to hold your party here at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back next year or sooner.
Have a very Merry Christmas
Birmingham
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Despite some poor reviews i took the plunge and booked a reward night here for myself an my partner, i have visted Brighton on many occasions and love the city, this was the first time i have stayed at the HI Brighton seafront, i wont be staying again.

Things started ok, the hotel is easy to find on the seafront, car parking is limted but i was fortunate enough to find a space, as an IHG Rewards Gold Member i received a discount on the advertised rate.

Check in was quick and pleasant, the receptionist acknowledged i was an IHG Gold member and as a thank you gave me a voucher for a free drink from the hotel bar, as well as complimentary wifi access, along with the discounted parking these were nice touches.

Onto the room, 134, on the first floor on the side of the hotel, whilst overlooking some bins (more about those later) we also had a partial seaview, the room was ok, nothing special and as other reviews have mentioned it was rather dated, its certainly not worth the advertised rate of £100+, the complimentary free wifi did not work, it appeared the room was out of range of the wifi, this was disappointing but as we were not planning on spending too much time in the room this was not a major issue.

So far so good (ish), after a lovely day and evening out and about around Brighton we returned back to the hotel at around 11.00pm, the reception area and outside area were busy and there were a clearly a couple of weddings being celebrated in the hotel, after enjoying our complimentary drinks we returned to room at around 11.30pm to settle donw for the evening.

Unfortunately a relaxing nights sleep wasnt going to be possible, room 134 is situated on the first floor and directly above one of the function rooms, there was a party in full swing with a DJ playing extremely loud music, forlornly we hoped that the music would finish at midnight, unfortunately it didnt, in fact it seemed to become louder, we spoke to the duty manager (named BK) who was next to useless, he apologised but said nothing could be done, we couldnt be moved he could not get the music to be turned down, he seemed surprised we had complained.. had nobody had a similar experience in that room? I fail to believe that, we actually invited him to come up to the room to hear just how bad the noise was, he declined our offer but said he would note our complaint, thanks for all your help BK!

Eventually the music stopped at 1am, but our hopes of a good nights sleep were further dashed throughout the night by noisy revellers returning to their rooms (shouting, singing, running up and down the coridoors) , i realise some of this may be beyond the hotels control, its still extremely annoying, from around 4am we had relative quiet and a chance to finally get some sleep... our respite was short lived, those bins under our room we very noisely emptied at 7am, again maybe not in the hotels control, but surely the hotel have recived similar complaints in the past?

We didnt have breakfast so cant comment on the food in the hotel.

On checking out it seems that BK hadnt made any note of our complaints from the earlier in the morning, or if he had the receptionist checking us out decided to ignore them, i had to ask to speak to the duty manager about our stay.

The duty manager was a man called Adrian Chapple, he listened to our complaints and agreed they were unacceptable, but it appears functions take precendence over guests, amazingly we were one of the first to complain about the noise from the function room below? Maybe people usually get back to the hotel after 1am? I dont know. In the first instance Adrian dealt with the complaint superbly, he immediately offered a refund, waived the charge for car parking and gave me his details asking me to email later in the week to arrange a refund of the 30000 priority club points that had been used on the stay..it all seemed so simple, we were happy (but very tired) and i thought this was a happy ending of sorts.....

If only things were that easy! Maybe it was "out of sight, out of mind" but extracting my 30000 points back out of the grasp of the hotel was a long and excrutiating process that took nearly 7 weeks, numerous emails (which Adrian and the hotel continually ignored) and eventually having to take to Twitter and contacting the @IHGCare account to get the complaint resolved.

In every instance where i contacted the hotel my initial email would not illicit a response, it would take a second email asking why i had received no response from my initial query for the hotel to bother to reply, every time i was promised either a phone call or an email from the hotel with an update, none was forthcoming, as mentioned earlier, i had to resort to contacting @IHGCare via Twitter to get any repsonse from the hotel, our stay was on the 5th October, we were promised a FULL refund of our 30000 points on checkout on 6th October, after a month of being ignored by the hotel we were finally told via @ IHGCare that the hotel has "offered" a 20000 point refund on 10.11.13, why not the full refund? I have absolutely no idea, no one at the hotel got in touch with me to explain why, i was even assured the hotel owner would contact me... again, silence.

Full praise to @IHGCare for resolving this, i explained to them that i was told i would receive 30000 points, they immediatley credited my account with the 10000 points shortfall....i thought that would be the end of the matter....sadly not!

As of 27.11.13 i had still not received the 20000 points the hotel had promised on 10.11.13 would be credited with 10 days, so alas further emails to @IHGCare ensued, again full marks to them as my missing 20000 points were immediately credited to my account.

So a happy ending of sorts, Brighton is still a great place to visit, just a shame the same cant be said for the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColinBirmingham
BHTSF_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear ColinBirmingham,
Thankyou for taking the time to review the hotel.I can only apologise for the confusion that occured after your stay and this is for sure not the norm.
I have shared all your comments with the staff here at the hotel and they will be used as a training tool.
You mentioned that you enjoyed Brighton and if you do decide to come and stay here again I would ask that you contact me directly.
Wayne Manasfield.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Located at sea front and walking distance to centre hotel is reasonable if you get a good price. Rooms could do with a refurb' as looking tired and worn.Buffet breakfast reasonable but not somewhere I would take my partner! business trip hotel only!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Johnny W,
thank you for the review I am pleased over all you had a good stay,I have noted your comments and am pleased to say that we are in the process of several enhancements to the hotel and in the New year have plans for several more.
I do hope you come back and visit us as you won't be dissapointed,
regards