“The only place to stay!”

The Granville Hotel
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“The only place to stay!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Another excellent stay. Conveniently located and very well run as always. Many thanks to all the attentive and helpful employees. Always our hotel of choice when visiting Brighton. If you're looking for a place to stay right on the seafront, close to the Brighton centre this is an excellent choice. Breakfast is one of the best we've experienced at any hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Me and my finance recently stayed at the Granville for 2 nights mid July for my Birthday. We stayed in the Black Rock Room. The pictures do not do the room justice one bit! The room is great. It's very large, with a great bed, excellent sea view and a fantastic jacuzzi bath in the bathroom. It looks like the room has just been recently refurbished. We took advantage of the room service quite a bit with drinks and especially the breakfast it is worth paying the service charge to have it delivered to your room in the morning! The breakfast was great. The staff were very friendly. I couldn't fault not one thing with this hotel. I look forward to staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Fordy2001
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed here early July for two nights, easy to find, we parked at Regency Square car park which was less than a five minute walk from the hotel. We stayed in the Brighton Belle room and we found it to be clean and fairly spacious; the bathroom had a large walk in shower which was a bonus. We ate breakfast in Smokeys the restaurant beneath the hotel and they were really good, decent sized portions with fruit juice and tea/coffee. Definitely enjoyed our stay and would return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 nights in July and I chose this hotel because it was so highly rated here on TripAdvisor. I would have liked to have seen what some of the other hotels were like that were rated worse than this one as I didn't think this one was anything special really. It wasn't bad by any means but it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting considering the reviews it had gotten.

The hotel itself is not huge, certainly not as big as the usual chain hotels like Hilton or Marriott etc. The first thing that was slightly annoying was the lift being broken for the duration of our stay. Not a huge issue but a bit annoying nonetheless.

The check-in was quick and pain free and off to our room we went up some meandering stairway. It was a struggle to find our room as there were corridors off the main staircase with other stairs going everywhere seemingly!

Once we had gotten to our room we opened the door (slightly difficult as it was the old style ket and not the usual swipe card) we were left wondering where the rest of our room was. Small would have been a slight understatement. For reference our room was calld the Preston room and, yes, it was the cheapest of the 3 options available when booking a room but I would still have expected a slightly larger room than this one!

There was a giant flat screen TV on the wall which we couldn't get to work and when we did get it fixed there was a constant, fairly loud, buzzing coming from it all the time it was on so we gave that a miss.

Waiting for us when we got there was a tray of tea/coffee sachets and such which was nice, though there was no mini fridge to keep items such as milk cool which I find hugely important, especially in the hot summer heat.

Our booking also advertised climate control but besides there being a window and a radiator there really wasn't anything in terms of air conditioning and climate control which was a bit frustrating in the 25+ degree heat.

Now, the positives were the breakfast. It was included in the price and was plentiful each morning. The bar/breakfast area really was quite nice, arguably nicer than the actual hotel in terms of decor. There was plenty of choice for breakfast; traditional English, lighter bites, tea/coffee and orange juice was all available. This would have easily cost £10 a head if it were to be had at any nearby café so it made the price of the hotel seem quite good value.

Overall I'd say it was reasonable. If I came to Brighton again I would try a different hotel as I don't think this one was so good that it warranted not looking elsewhere and if I ever did stay here again I would certainly want to stay in a nicer room than the Preston room.

Room Tip: Be sure to stay in a superior room. Avoid Preston room!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We chose based on the reviews and images on web site and we were a little disappointed. The room was a little shabby and the bathroom poor. There are good views from the sea view rooms which are temporally spoilt by the building work on the sea front. Would be worth the reviews if more attention was spent to decor and furnishing. What didn't help our opinion was that the couple checking in before us were offered a free upgraded to a sea view when we paid extra for a sea view.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I would say three and a half stars. I was in Brighton with my spouse for a conference. Hotels in the area are a bit pricey but the Granville offered a good rate. We stayed in the Palace Pier rooms for two nights. Bed was comfortable and room was clean. Hotel does need a bit of sprucing up - the mirror and curtains in the room needed repair and the carpet needed to be replaced. Staff were kind and attentive. The real highlight was breakfast - many options and good quality. It was quiet warm when we stayed so sleeping was a bit tricky as there is no air conditioning. The bathroom was beautiful but a little awkward as there was just a bath option. Location is very central. I would suggest booking directly with the hotel vs via a generic hotel website as you can specify which themed room you prefer.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean are obviously preferable but try to get an upper floor as the street nois...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather S
Essex
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

So my boyfriend and I ended up at the Granville unexpectedly. We were all packed and setting off for our holiday in Norfolk when our original cottage accommodation rang and cancelled on us. With two dogs in tow I thought damn that's it; our holiday is over. I quickly thought up some dog friendly places that would be good for holidaying and Brighton came up for first. Having been before I remembered that I had seen loads of dogs but wasn't sure how easy it would be to find anywhere to stay. With "dog friendly Brighton hotel" entered into google the Granville came up straight away. We were really surprised when the receptionist said there was a pet friendly room available all weekend and as our dogs were so small he only charged us for one! (Think it's something like £15 a night for your dog)

The room was so much more than I imagined, we stayed in the "Lace" room which is beautifully decorated with a vintage style which I loved. Usually when I imagine pet friendly accommodation I think of the most unkept and outdated room possible. The furniture and soft furnishings were really lovely and a great wooden floor for our pooches. We had a Spacious wardrobe with mirrored doors and hanging space for clothes and some drawer space which was ample for our weekend stay. The one draw back for us was the windows, as amazing as they were they opened from the bottom upwards and opened out on to a small balcony area with railings, really nice but not ideal for our dogs who might have found themselves dropping a great height. I must add it was absolutely boiling in the room but we had a fan which made a big difference and was much appreciated.

The bathroom was amazing! It was neatly tucked away behind white wooden doors which I had assumed was a cupboard. Imagine my surprise on opening it to find an en suite with a huge corner bath.

The room was bright airy and comfortable with a great view and also cosy at night time with the curtains drawn and the night lights on. The tv was a handy extra with a great signal. And great wifi signal too and for free!
While I'm at it the hair dryer was brilliant as well.

Considering the hotel is on the sea front we had a great nights sleep and it was really quiet. The room is opposite the lift but we didn't hear anyone coming or going or have any loud noises from anywhere else in the hotel.

Breakfast was included in the price and there was a great selection to choose from. This hotel is excellent for those with a vegan/ vegetarian diet. We are both vegetarian and this was a great surprise for us also to be well catered for. Dogs can sit with you in the bar area or outside while you eat which is handy. I think dogs are allowed to stay in the room as long as they are happy to be left and behave themselves/ don't bark but I'm not sure as we didn't leave ours.

The only negative thing I can say is that the wooden floor was quite dirty. I spilt a drink and wiped it up with toilet roll that quickly turned black. I also found after I had taken a bath and walked around the room a few times by the time I got into bed my feet were black. But this really would not affect my decision to ever stay again.

Overall a brilliant place for dog owners to take their pooches on holiday with them. And probably One of the only hotels to accept dogs on the seafront! (If you do bring dogs here there is a short walk to the dog friendly beach which is clearly signposted) The hotel is also only about a 5minute walk into the town centre.

I also recommend this blog to anyone who is visiting Brighton with their furry friend(s) as it has an extensive list of dog friendly pubs, cafés, hotels and restaurants:

Stayed July 2014