“Sleepless in Brighton”

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Houston Tx
“Sleepless in Brighton”
Reviewed 14 June 2009

The Brunswick Suite was great at first impression. Unfortunately, unless you are at least 6'3", don't expect to close the window, close the blind, or work the tv in the bedroom (mounted high, no remote). The breakfast was great and the people nice, but we didn't get to sleep until 3am. The bedroom window was open, and there is a pub behind the hotel. When the drunks come out every 15 minutes to smoke, you will find yourself swearing and planning your revenge for half the night. Being on the first floor, you can hear every scrape of every chair and banging of every door in the restaurant/pub underneath you also. Upon checkout there was absolutely no sympathy, just a "gee, they're not supposed to be in the alley". Stay at the Holiday Inn in the next block, its MUCH cheaper, air conditioned, clean, and very responsive to problems.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My partner and I stayed at The Granville Hotel over the second May Bank Holiday weekend. I booked it after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed.
We stayed in The Regency room overlooking the seafront and it was wonderful. I'd forgotten I'd booked a room with a four poster bed and my partner was delighted! The staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. The 'Brighton' brekkie was huge and very good but the egg benedict with ham was devine.
We've stayed in several hotels in Brighton, usually 4* and this was better than The Grand or Metropole by a long way. We were both surprised it only had a 3* rating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Cambridge
Reviewed 25 May 2009

So many hotels, once you get into the rooms, you could be anywhere. This one, all the rooms are different, and you can choose which one you like the look of, or what sort of view you fancy.

Booked in for a romantic weekend over Easter, and I arrived early - my partner couldn't get away on time. I'd arranged a bottle of champagne to be in the room when we arrived, but once I explained he was running late, the hotel staff volunteered to bring it up just before he was expected, so that it didn't get warm. We had a lovely stay, in quiet room at the back of the hotel - I booked at quite short notice and most of the rooms I really liked were at the back rather than the remaining sea view ones.

The room was comfortable and spacious, and very imaginative (a bed built on glowing glass blocks!), and both it and the bathroom were nicely decorated and clean. The staff were lovely and friendly. We liked the DVD library too. Although we couldn't see the sea from our window, as soon as you step out of the front door, you're right on the sea front. Beakfasts were great. My partner had the full breakfast each day, I decided to try a variety - although the full breakfast is really nice, and uses good quality local food, the scrambled egg and smoked salmon was absolutely perfect. The kipper was rather good too - served as a fillet, so no bones to pick over. We also went into the bar for drinks in the evening. It was quiet by the time we went in - we were the only customers, but the barman was friendly and they have some nice whisky on.

I think it's a bit of a waste to stay here with anyone other than a partner, to be honest, because it's such a romantic hotel, but we did see families there too. The hotel doesn't have a car park, but there's a public NCP one less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We stayed at the Granville for one week while visiting from Canada. Myself, my husband and our 2 grown sons all agreed that it was fabulous!! The staff were friendly and helpful... but not intrusive. Breakfast was excellent every morning....cereal and fresh fruit on the buffet, plus they cooked your eggs, bacon, etc to your order. The Granville has one room with twin beds, which was greatly appreciated by my sons (age 19 and 25) as they do not like to share a bed. I was able to select this room (from their web site) plus one across the hall, when I made the reservations. Our room faced the beach, which was beautiful. The cost for the 2 rooms was reasonable (less than I expected). All the beds were very comfortable. I usually cannot sleep when I am not at home... no problem here. Fresh towels were provided every day and the rooms cleaned. Each room also had a hair dryer, iron and ironing board, television (limited stations) and alarm clock.
The hotel also provided a few computers in the common room, at no extra charge. So we were able to check emails and keep in touch with family at home.
The hotel is linked to the Fisherman's Rest , a bar/restaraunt that has great food, good conversation and the best chocolate cake in the world, as voted by the four of us.
The hotel is old, so it can be a bit drafty. Bring your warm p.j.s, if you go in winter as we did. In spite of that, we felt more 'warmed' by the atmosphere in the Granville, than we did in the other 2 'common' hotels that we stayed in... thanks to Stephen and staff.
Warning to light sleepers... consider a room at the back or keep the ear plugs offered on the plane. There is a major road between the beach and all the hotels on the water, so I imagine that it would be noisier in the summer.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
SouthEast
Reviewed 15 February 2009

As Fatboy Slim was playing another beach party in Sept of 08 we decided it would be really cool to go and have a romantic weekend away in brighton.
Looking at this hotels website it looked like the place for us and booked the 'Pavillion Room' for 2 nights.
What a rip-off.... the room was shockingly bad. Not only was the room tiny.. it was falling apart, the curtian was hanging on by a thread and the door looked liked it had gone 10 rounds with Ricky Hatton, the paper was peeling off the walls and the bathroom finish was horrid. Not to mention the stains that were all over the curtians/walls/chair and sheets. It was really disgusting.
And the lift broke down on our second day too....!!!!
And right outside is a small market/ trading post for local crafts people, so expect bongo's and all kinda weird music from 6am till 11pm.
Brighton is a great place........ just find somewhere to stay.

• Liked — The day we left
  • Disliked — Paying for it
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DayTripperSi
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Fantastic. Everyone is so friendly. The room was great! The breakfasts wonderful. And as for The Fisherman's bar downstairs. We haven't had so much fun in ages. Stefan you are the funniest barman we have met in ages and we work in the trade. Wish we could stay for the cabaret. Thanks all very much

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I do like to have sea views, which is a massive reason why I choose the Granville, plus it’s well ranked on here, so I thought it was worth a try.

Overall it was pretty good, nice clean and welcoming reception area, hotel in a brilliant sea front location and the staff were friendly and helpful, check in was easy and they took our bags up to our room for us.

The room was quite nice, but as seems to be the case quite often, the room is never quite as nice as you expect it to be from looking at the website photos. Don't get me wrong, the room was nice and clean, with great views, but the bed was so wobbly, and the frame was peeling and rusty. When you pay a lot of money for a room you'd expect not to have stuff like that, but on the whole it was good and the Jacuzzi was a lovely touch. As I said, the view/location was brilliant....just a shame the windows were double glazed and condensated!!!

Overall, an enjoyable stay in a clean hotel, with friendly staff (minus one rude bar man) in a great location, quite pricey, but that’s what you got to expect to pay for a good view and location so not really bothered! Would recommend!

• Liked — View/Location & Jacuzzi
  • Disliked — Condensation on the windows and rude bar man
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple