The Granville Hotel
Topps(Brighton)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Beachfront
All reviewswest pierjacuzzi bathbalcony roomblack rocknoel cowardbrighton rockprince regent roomsea viewfour poster bedrestaurant downstairssea frontold westquirky hotelthemed roomsmy partnerbrighton seafrontcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We initially chose the Japanese room and phoned up to book that and asked about which other rooms were available and which one they recommended, we were offered a discount on a bigger, supposedly better room, the Balcony Room. Upon arrival, we were very disappointed in this room. It was dark, awful carpet, four poster bed with carvings on it and everything was in need of a good dusting.The telly had poor reception, although we were told someone would see to it the next day. The potpourri and dried flower arrangements were dusty and it wouldn't have took much to change them. The "Roman" style bathroom had a Jacuzzi bath, but the decor wasn't that nice really. The taps wobbled and the loo seat wouldn't stay up. It was all quite depressing.

We couldn't face a night there, so asked if we could change. We were lucky in that we were given a guided tour of the available rooms and could pick which one we liked. We chose the Japanese Room. This was quite nice, if a bit tired in places. There is nowhere to put your suitcases, so we moved the table for drinks and used that. The bed was stylish, but a bit cramped around the edges. The jacuzzi bath with powerful shower attachment was great. Nice fluffy white towels, fresh every day. There was a kettle and tea/coffee supplies, a hairdryer and even an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The room had brilliant sea views.

The 3 public computers were impossible to use, but we were offered the use of an alternative faster computer behind reception if we needed it.
Shame the general feeling of the hotel is that it needs a makeover, but at 3 stars, it's about right.

The breakfast was terrific. Brilliant location near the old West Pier. Not too far from shops and amenities. We found the hotel staff to be pleasant and helpful.
All in all, a nice few days.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sun234
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I stayed here last month while attending a conference at the Brighton Centre. It's a pleasant homely-feel no smoking hotel well run by its two owners. My room on the ground floor (as requested) was very comfortable and spotlessly clean with items such as a DVD player. Some have jacuzzi baths though mine had a normal bath and seperate walk-in rain shower. Very good cooked breakfast. The crowning glory was its superb location on the sea front, right next to the Metropole (and therefore a few yards from the Grand and the Bright Centre).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2009

The Brunswick Suite was great at first impression. Unfortunately, unless you are at least 6'3", don't expect to close the window, close the blind, or work the tv in the bedroom (mounted high, no remote). The breakfast was great and the people nice, but we didn't get to sleep until 3am. The bedroom window was open, and there is a pub behind the hotel. When the drunks come out every 15 minutes to smoke, you will find yourself swearing and planning your revenge for half the night. Being on the first floor, you can hear every scrape of every chair and banging of every door in the restaurant/pub underneath you also. Upon checkout there was absolutely no sympathy, just a "gee, they're not supposed to be in the alley". Stay at the Holiday Inn in the next block, its MUCH cheaper, air conditioned, clean, and very responsive to problems.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My partner and I stayed at The Granville Hotel over the second May Bank Holiday weekend. I booked it after reading good reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed.
We stayed in The Regency room overlooking the seafront and it was wonderful. I'd forgotten I'd booked a room with a four poster bed and my partner was delighted! The staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. The 'Brighton' brekkie was huge and very good but the egg benedict with ham was devine.
We've stayed in several hotels in Brighton, usually 4* and this was better than The Grand or Metropole by a long way. We were both surprised it only had a 3* rating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

So many hotels, once you get into the rooms, you could be anywhere. This one, all the rooms are different, and you can choose which one you like the look of, or what sort of view you fancy.

Booked in for a romantic weekend over Easter, and I arrived early - my partner couldn't get away on time. I'd arranged a bottle of champagne to be in the room when we arrived, but once I explained he was running late, the hotel staff volunteered to bring it up just before he was expected, so that it didn't get warm. We had a lovely stay, in quiet room at the back of the hotel - I booked at quite short notice and most of the rooms I really liked were at the back rather than the remaining sea view ones.

The room was comfortable and spacious, and very imaginative (a bed built on glowing glass blocks!), and both it and the bathroom were nicely decorated and clean. The staff were lovely and friendly. We liked the DVD library too. Although we couldn't see the sea from our window, as soon as you step out of the front door, you're right on the sea front. Beakfasts were great. My partner had the full breakfast each day, I decided to try a variety - although the full breakfast is really nice, and uses good quality local food, the scrambled egg and smoked salmon was absolutely perfect. The kipper was rather good too - served as a fillet, so no bones to pick over. We also went into the bar for drinks in the evening. It was quiet by the time we went in - we were the only customers, but the barman was friendly and they have some nice whisky on.

I think it's a bit of a waste to stay here with anyone other than a partner, to be honest, because it's such a romantic hotel, but we did see families there too. The hotel doesn't have a car park, but there's a public NCP one less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple