“The Ship Brighton - Wrong booking and mould” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“The Ship Brighton - Wrong booking and mould”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

DISGUSTING HOTEL! I booked a twin through a web agent for one night as it was my birthday a month in advance. I confirmed with the hotel Central Reservations dept a twin with no feather bedding as I'm allergic. On arriving at 4-30pm on Saturday 13th October, we were given the keys to what turned out to be a double room. My friend and I went back to reception and told them of their error so we were given keys to a twin room. After gaining access to the twin room, we noticed that the room had someone else’s possessions, so once again we made our way to reception.
After a couple of hours, we were told by the Duty Manager that all the twin rooms had gone and that the only room available was a double room. This was not acceptable as my friend and I are not a couple. The duty manager then suggested that he would find a room at another hotel as long as one of us took the room at the Ship. This was a preposterous suggestion as I knew full well that all the 4 star hotels were fully booked and I was not prepared to pay for 2 taxis to our evening out and then to pay for 2 taxis again to return to our respective hotels. I suggested that the duty manager found a twin room by whatever means possible.
Finally, at 6-30pm, we were given keys to a twin room – room 509. On entering, I noticed that the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned properly and requested that it was cleaned again. Also, the electrics were not working for a considerable length of time. I also discovered that there was mould beneath the radiator. I was horrified at seeing the mould as I’m an asthmatic and this could’ve triggered an attack. It was 7-30pm and by then and we had missed most of the day in Brighton.
Reception made a note of the issues and suggested I complain to the General Manager Paul Wright. I attached a photo of the mould and the 2 hotel reservation confirmations in my email complaint. I have taken legal advice and the hotel is in Breach of Contract so the minimum I should receive is a full refund, but Paul Wright refuses to issue a refund never mind any recompen for the stress caused by the issues I have raised as well as ruining my birthday.
BE WARNED - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL: THEY ARE NEGLIGENT WITH BOOKINGS AND IT IS DIRTY, MOULDY AND POSES A SERIOUS HEALTH RISK. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SHOULD SHUT IT DOWN.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank POSHMANC
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
It is disspointing to read your review. As per my correspondence with you, your confirmation from your agent confirmed you had booked a room that was not of a guaranteed bed type. Any request made was a request and no confirmation of the bed type was sent through to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

I didn't get as far as staying overnight here. Thank goodness.

Upon check-in I was told the hotel was full. On reading previous reviews this seems a common issue with this "hotel". They said I should have been informed however as I'd only booked it the day before when exactly were they going to let me know?

I waited for 2 hours in their very grubby bar before they someone from reception came through and said Brighton was very busy that weekend but they could offer me a hotel...12 miles away. So much for a nice weekend in Brighton.

The whole weekend was ruined however in hindsight I'm glad I didn't stay here. The place is horrendous. As soon as you arrive at the hotel you can tell. Paint peeling off the exterior walls, rotten windows, litter all over the front door. Just who on earth is classifying this as 4*?

The company that runs this hotel should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Tony M
It is not often that I quesiton the reliability of a review but on this occassion I do. We do not have a policy of booking out any guest over 12 miles away if they have a confirmed reservation. In October we have had a situtation on two dates where by we needed to bookout out but all guests were kept within Brighton and no more than a 10 minute walk from us. I hope you can advise.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Croydon, Surrey, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Just got back from staying two nights here with my husband and dog. What a wonderful stay we had. I can't recommend it highly enough. Everyone was so friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome (which is rare when travelling with my dog). Our room was upgraded to a premium sea view. I literally gasped when I saw it. The view over the seafront and pier was just gorgeous, and the room even had little French windows and a tiny balcony, with two comfortable chairs positioned overlooking the sea. The room had really nice L'Occitaine toiletries too. The icing on the cake was the 'grande' breakfast. There was everything you could want. And everything tasted delicious. Well done and thank you to all the staff who run the hotel, you are doing a great job. And a special thank you to that lovely lady Gillian who works in the restaurant and the two Davids for being so genuinely nice.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula0000
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you ever so much for your fabulous review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

To be fair, I only stayed in the hotel to sleep and use the bar after a night out as this is my understanding of a hotel. 10 of us went on a fishing trip and I don't think any of us had any problems. The staff seemed friendly and were still very accommodating into the early hours at the bar. Trying to find a quiet hotel in a place like Brighton is a task in itself, and i didn't find it rowdy at all (including the several dozen martial artists hanging around after their competition. The rooms were nothing to shout about but worth the money and The lobby and bar itself are in good condition. As for food I have no idea as we were up at 5.30 am to check out and unfortunately breakfast starts at 6am.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that when you return you will be able to enjoy our great breakfast too.
Stock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed last Saturday and weren't sure what to expect given the reviews. We were pleasantly surprised, all the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was perfectly adequate with a new flat screen TV and all the amenities you would expect in a 4* hotel. Yes some parts are a little dated but that adds to the charm of the building. We had lunch in the bar which was freshly prepared and very good, they also serve proper draught bitter which is unusual these days. Breakfast was excellent - buffet style, a huge choice of both hot and cold. The lady running the breakfast room was very welcoming & could not of been nicer. Parking was available and made easy by the helpful attendant. Overall an enjoyable stay in a great location - we visit Brighton regularly and will stay here again. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

My daughter booked a break for us to celebrate my 70th. We lost my son (her brother) last year and needed a complete change of scene. On arrival we were told we had been allocated a double room which was completely unacceptable as I am disabled, and our booking confirmation clearly showed twin room.After much protestation we were moved to a lovely twin room with sea view.They accommodated my hired mobility scooter no problem.After a traumatic start,everything was good and we were able to cope quite well with our bereavement for a few days.Excellent location to visit attractions in Brighton.Good breakfast choices.I would not want to stay when stag/hen parties are rampant at weekends.Car park attendant very helpful although we were not parking there. I would go again if I were allocated the same twin room.Possibly best for mature people.

Room Tip: Twin room with sea views exceeded expectations - I would not visit Friday to Sunday as I am told (se...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry we did not get your initial booking correct but pleased we were able to resolve and exceed your expectations.

Brighton is a lively cosmopolitan destination and enjoyed reading your fair comments in the room tips sections.

As my nan-in-law would say - "you are never to young to enjoy life!"

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Falkirk, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We just spent a weekend at the Old Ship Hotel on Brighton Promenade and overall it was not an entirely succesful experience.

We stayed in 5 rooms and 4 of them had problems - nothing major (locks and TVs wouldn't work, no hot water etc.) However I felt we spent the weekend constantly at the reception desk with one problem or another. The staff were excellent but they spend all their time holding together the hotel's crumbling infrastructure. You started to doubt that any part of the hotel would actually work. On the other hand the food was good, particularly breakfast.

The Old Ship is meant to be 4 stars. On this showing I doubt it is really a 3 star. Rooms on the front have a lovely view, but it is very noisy at 3 o'clock in the morning - take ear-plugs!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review which I will look into further