“Picture perfect by the pier”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Picture perfect by the pier”
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

A location that can't be beaten right on the Brighton seafront. This hotel is absolutely charming with comfortable beds and nicely appointed rooms. Parking is available which can be unusual in Brighton. Restaurant and shops are all close by and the famous pier is 5 minutes away. We could see it from our room.

• Stayed October 2012
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you for your review and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our 2 day break was totally ruined by so much noise from the street outside at night time. We chose the hotel because of it's location to the shops. We had no sleep whatsoever throughout the night so spent the best part of the next day sleeping instead of shopping. The manager moved us on our 2nd day to a quieter, nicer room on the 5th floor although it was freezing and we had to stuff towels into the gaps around the sash windows. On the whole, a lovely building but the rooms are in need of updating. Superb staff, very friendly and helpful.. just a shame that the rooms aren't more sound proofed from the inevitable noise from the Friday and Saturday night clubbers. Definitely not good if there are kids with you.

Room Tip: Do not choose a sea view as you won't sleep from all the noise from the clubs and pubs.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank oaky190722
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for your review. Brighton is a lively and vibrant city and am sorry if the noise from outside affected your stay.
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

When searching for a hotel for my friends and I to stay at in Brighton for just one saturday night, I encountered numerous problems, as the majority of hotels in town only seem to accept a minimum of a 2 night booking. However, The Old Ship came to the rescue with a one night stay. The hotel is right on the seafront in Brighton just minutes away from the Lanes, and the Pier, so in that respect, is very much in the thick of the action, and staggering distance from most night spots. Our friends stayed in a Premium Room, which was very nice and modern with a sea view. We had a standard room, which was a bit larger, but perhaps in need of redecoration, although the bathroom was big enough to throw a party in with an amazing power shower. However, we werent in the rooms much, so that wasnt an issue for us really. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, and we found the bar was cosy and warm with lots of comfy chairs for relaxing and having a chat before we went out at night. Saturday nights do seem to be very busy at the hotel, so sunday morning breakfast was slightly chaotic. There was a good choice available with a hot buffet, cereals, toast, a range of cakes and juices etc but I do think the hotel needs to consider re-working the restaurant to allow for more people to access the hot buffet at once as the queues did back up. All in all, we were really impressed with the Old Ship, and would definitely return. If you are particular about your room, definitely pay the extra for a premium sea view upgrade.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. I was pleased you were able to get the rates and dates you required. We also have a two night policy dependant on the dates you required but it always worth checking.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

DISGUSTING HOTEL! I booked a twin through a web agent for one night as it was my birthday a month in advance. I confirmed with the hotel Central Reservations dept a twin with no feather bedding as I'm allergic. On arriving at 4-30pm on Saturday 13th October, we were given the keys to what turned out to be a double room. My friend and I went back to reception and told them of their error so we were given keys to a twin room. After gaining access to the twin room, we noticed that the room had someone else’s possessions, so once again we made our way to reception.
After a couple of hours, we were told by the Duty Manager that all the twin rooms had gone and that the only room available was a double room. This was not acceptable as my friend and I are not a couple. The duty manager then suggested that he would find a room at another hotel as long as one of us took the room at the Ship. This was a preposterous suggestion as I knew full well that all the 4 star hotels were fully booked and I was not prepared to pay for 2 taxis to our evening out and then to pay for 2 taxis again to return to our respective hotels. I suggested that the duty manager found a twin room by whatever means possible.
Finally, at 6-30pm, we were given keys to a twin room – room 509. On entering, I noticed that the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned properly and requested that it was cleaned again. Also, the electrics were not working for a considerable length of time. I also discovered that there was mould beneath the radiator. I was horrified at seeing the mould as I’m an asthmatic and this could’ve triggered an attack. It was 7-30pm and by then and we had missed most of the day in Brighton.
Reception made a note of the issues and suggested I complain to the General Manager Paul Wright. I attached a photo of the mould and the 2 hotel reservation confirmations in my email complaint. I have taken legal advice and the hotel is in Breach of Contract so the minimum I should receive is a full refund, but Paul Wright refuses to issue a refund never mind any recompen for the stress caused by the issues I have raised as well as ruining my birthday.
BE WARNED - DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL: THEY ARE NEGLIGENT WITH BOOKINGS AND IT IS DIRTY, MOULDY AND POSES A SERIOUS HEALTH RISK. ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SHOULD SHUT IT DOWN.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank POSHMANC
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
It is disspointing to read your review. As per my correspondence with you, your confirmation from your agent confirmed you had booked a room that was not of a guaranteed bed type. Any request made was a request and no confirmation of the bed type was sent through to you.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

I didn't get as far as staying overnight here. Thank goodness.

Upon check-in I was told the hotel was full. On reading previous reviews this seems a common issue with this "hotel". They said I should have been informed however as I'd only booked it the day before when exactly were they going to let me know?

I waited for 2 hours in their very grubby bar before they someone from reception came through and said Brighton was very busy that weekend but they could offer me a hotel...12 miles away. So much for a nice weekend in Brighton.

The whole weekend was ruined however in hindsight I'm glad I didn't stay here. The place is horrendous. As soon as you arrive at the hotel you can tell. Paint peeling off the exterior walls, rotten windows, litter all over the front door. Just who on earth is classifying this as 4*?

The company that runs this hotel should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Tony M
It is not often that I quesiton the reliability of a review but on this occassion I do. We do not have a policy of booking out any guest over 12 miles away if they have a confirmed reservation. In October we have had a situtation on two dates where by we needed to bookout out but all guests were kept within Brighton and no more than a 10 minute walk from us. I hope you can advise.
Croydon, Surrey, UK
Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

Just got back from staying two nights here with my husband and dog. What a wonderful stay we had. I can't recommend it highly enough. Everyone was so friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome (which is rare when travelling with my dog). Our room was upgraded to a premium sea view. I literally gasped when I saw it. The view over the seafront and pier was just gorgeous, and the room even had little French windows and a tiny balcony, with two comfortable chairs positioned overlooking the sea. The room had really nice L'Occitaine toiletries too. The icing on the cake was the 'grande' breakfast. There was everything you could want. And everything tasted delicious. Well done and thank you to all the staff who run the hotel, you are doing a great job. And a special thank you to that lovely lady Gillian who works in the restaurant and the two Davids for being so genuinely nice.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula0000
Thank you ever so much for your fabulous review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards
uk
Reviewed 23 October 2012

To be fair, I only stayed in the hotel to sleep and use the bar after a night out as this is my understanding of a hotel. 10 of us went on a fishing trip and I don't think any of us had any problems. The staff seemed friendly and were still very accommodating into the early hours at the bar. Trying to find a quiet hotel in a place like Brighton is a task in itself, and i didn't find it rowdy at all (including the several dozen martial artists hanging around after their competition. The rooms were nothing to shout about but worth the money and The lobby and bar itself are in good condition. As for food I have no idea as we were up at 5.30 am to check out and unfortunately breakfast starts at 6am.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that when you return you will be able to enjoy our great breakfast too.