“Sleepless in Brighton”

Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Sleepless in Brighton”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Great location but extremely noisy if you are at the front due to drunks from nightclubs going home! still shouting and screaming at 05.30hrs. Dont pay for sea view if you want a quiet nights sleep, ask for room at the back! dont go to American Diner on the corner after show. On door closing time is 22.30hrs. We were all turned away at 21.55hrs! obviouslly not worried about taking money.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry if people outside the hotel disturbed your stay. The Diner is not ours so I cannot comment on this.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Really liked the Old Ship, I managed to secure a great rate via TravelRepublic and was more than happy with everything on offer. From the chap who checked me in, which was very efficient. Having booked online, I literally had to show my confirmation and was then given my room key and on my way.

The lift to the rooms is via the bar which was spacious enough for this size of hotel. One gripe possibly is that there seemed to be only one rickety old lift, this was fine but my room was on the 4th floor and I did find it easier sometimes to walk up and down rather than wait around.

The rooms were fine, spacious and you can pay for a sea-view I didn't this time around as I wasn't planning on spending too much time in there. The free wi-fi is a bonus, it's a little patchy in its connectivity, that said it's free and was adequate.

Sound enough sleep, no noise and this was at the weekend so really pleased with that. The breakfast was fantastic, really good selection of juices, cereals, bread and hot food that included sausages, mushrooms, bacon, egg, beans, hash browns and much more.

Well worth the money and if you shop around and get a good deal then even better. I have stayed in a good few hotels in Brighton now and this is definitely up there with the best in terms of value.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you ever so much for your review

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay including the free wifi

We very much look forward to welcoming you back
London
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We've been coming to this hotel every couple of years and in fact got married here in 2010. We were interested to see what it would be like with the change to Puma hotels. So here are the positives and the negatives

+ives: Service excellent. I enquired whether there were any shoeshine kits available. On being told no, the member of staff (who might well have been the manager) said he'd go out and get one for me. The lady on breakfasts remains the same - a lovely cheerful lady who adds a lot of character. The breakfasts are also still very nice (soya milk was provided on request, always a good sign). The sea view remains of course stunning.

Not so +ives: The refurb in the downstairs restaurant looks really tacky due to its design (think seaside postcard images stencilled on the windows so you can't see in from outside)
I can't speak for the food which may well be wonderful, although I noticed they've got rid of the interesting tea selection and just do bog standard twinings (with no earl grey - shock!)
The rooms also need refurbishing which I think is happening now so it remains to be seen what they will be like. Lower floor sea view rooms noisy but of course there's nothing that can be done about that (apart from double glazing).

We had a nice time but the noisy room/lack of a refurb and apparent loss of character (even though the previous character was boutique flaky - how many times did they lose our reservations?) means 3 out of 5. Hopefully these are just teething problems and hopefully when we return, we'll get character and service.

Room Tip: The higher up the better for noise
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

Im a pleased you enjoyed breakfast. Steak on Sea was initially launched in the summer last year and since then has been under review and tweeks made. Am now pleased to confirm that the stencils have also now gone.

Bedroom refurbishment starts soon and hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night. It was an excellent deal and I would really recommend it. The service was very friendly and the breakfast great. Our room was spacious and very pleasant. The only slight negative was the noise from the side street as the room did not have doubel glazing. It was not a noisy night but I guess this could have been different!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you for your review.

As part of our plans for 2013 we are trialling accoustic glass which should help the noise. As a listed building double glazing windows are currently not an option/

Glad however you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Nice hotel, nice rooms and great staff...
Our only grumble which really bampered our stay was that even with the heating full on - the room was freezing!
Great location mind you- minutes from queens road which brings you central to every thing. And another short walk to the peir.
Rooms clean but the tiles very cold under foot in the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you found the room cold. Unfortunately we do not have under floor heating in the bathrooms.

We are in a great locaiton for visiting Brighton and hope to welcome you back again.

Regards
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Lovely traditional hotel on the seafront. We were only using the room as a base and had shopped around online for a good deal, but if we had paid the hotel's going rate I tihnk we would have been sorely disappointed. The room was in need of decorating, the window rattled, the picture on the wall was falling apart, and the radiator looked like it was about to burst open. But the room was clean and the staff friendly. Parking was available too, which was handy. Breakfast was an extensive buffet, but I've had better tasting breakfasts.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rach033
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you found breakfast and the room dissapointing. We are working on plans for 2013 to refurbish our rooms.

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I had a room booked for me at this hotel by someone else, so I can't comment on the booking system/prices, but I would like to say that I found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful and the room was very nice. The only things wrong with the room was that it was quite dark even with all the lights on (but that didn't matter as I just went to sleep anyway) and the shower wouldn't stop dripping. The breakfast food selection was pretty good too, I would have appreciated some soy milk to have with the cereal as I am lactose intolerant but there was plenty on offer so I just had something else instead.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. As we purchase new bulbs for the hotel we are looking at ways to improve the lighting from the current energy saving bulbs we have.