“Like Benidorm on a bad night”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Because of health reasons this was an important little break for both myself and my aged sister. Just five nights, sea view room, five good meals and, above all, a good rest and lots of sleep in the fresh sea air.Most of it worked to perfection with five days of absolutely superb sunny weather, five good meals and, it has to be said, a very nice hotel just about to go through refurbishment. The rooms were perfect (if a little threadbare), on the second floor, overlooking the sea while the staff at the hotel were a delight, very helpful, very friendly. The trouble came not from the hotel but from a seashore bar, incredibly granted a 24 hour licence and made full use of by the city's young students. The noise was enough to wake me every night but climaxed on Tuesday until 3.300am and then on Thursday when it started at midnight and carried on until past 4am. It was so bad I got out of bed to see exactly what was going on. Fighting and other pastimes, best suited to the bedroom, and the noise, wow, the noise. The hotel and their security staff were unable to do anything at all about it even though the fighting was right outside the front door in the middle of a busy road. Police? I saw none. The mayhem was allowed to run its course along with another sleepless night. Shame because I liked the hotel and its position and would like to return after the double glazing has been given the go ahead by the local council - the very same people who granted the bar from hell the 24 hour licence!

Room Tip: rooms on the front are fabulous until the loonies turn out at 3 am!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank thewriter
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

I am sorry the outside situation disturbed your stay and assure you that where possible we are doing what we can to minimise this

Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)

Reviewed 6 June 2013

the staff are really nice, friendly and helpful.
the rooms are standard. the sea view rooms are very noisy at night cos the students partying into the early hours (on a Wednesday!)
parking is redicously priced at £23 a day, but little alternative cos everywhere down the front is about the same.
overall the perfect place to spend a couple of days and to experience true english tourism and traditional attractions

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Too noisy! This is despite having booked in January for an April visit specifying a quiet room. On our arrival we were told to go and have a drink (at our expense) as the room would not be available for two hours. As chronicled in tripadvisor the drunken crowds arrived and did not stop screaming until three in the morning.
No point in booking early then - or asking for a quiet room (they do exist). It has not marred our liking for Brighton, just made me wary of Puma Hotels. Brighton Marina is also lively but it does have a hotel of similar or better quality where the staff fulfil requests for a quiet room.
Otherwise this hotel was fine enough. Staff appear helpful, it's buffet breakfast and overall it is not really as smart as I was expecting. So it makes the charge of £69 parking for 3 nights stay somewhat steep even for Brighton.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for an "inside" room on the top floor. You might be lucky.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RonVic
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for your review.

Any requests where possible are fulfilled if rooms types permit. Rooms should be available from 2pm and can only presume your arrival must have been earlier.

Brighton Marina is quieter with just a handfull of restaurants. Being in the centre of Brighton does make us face some challenges with the nightlife. Puma Hotel Collection took over the management of the group last year and I am pleased that works have now commenced with both bedroom refurbishment and window replacement.

We keep our parking prices as low as possible with parking at the public car park next door at £29 for 24hours.

It would be great to look into your comments further and please do not hesitate to contact me as I am unable to messgae you on tripadvisor

Kind regards

Paul Wright

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was put in the Old Ship because I was attending a conference. I stayed three nights. The room was clean, if not over spacious, the bed was comfy. I was in room 429 which had a sea glimpse as it looked onto the street at the side. However, I think I'd have found a sea view room too noisy.

Other contributors have mentioned that it is somewhat jaded but there was evidence of redecoration taking place.

The staff were great. The breakfast was very good. The only slight downer was that I couldn't get wi-fi in my room but the staff assured me this was being addressed. Also my key card kept failing despite me keeping it separate from my phone etc.

It's in an excellent location and if I were to visit Brighton again I would consider using it, if the price was right. So whilst it wasn't swish or swanky, neither was it sleazy and skanky.

Room Tip: If you have problems climbing stairs you may have a problem, as to access certain rooms you still ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for your review.

New WiFi points have been installed this week and room 429 is currently now under refurbishment. I hope to welcome you back where I am sure you will see a difference.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We wanted a night away for a babymoon in Brighton we looked at cheaper b and b's but decided on the old ship because we have stated here a number if times over the years and never been disappointed. This time however the first room we were put in had stains all over the carpet, marks on the walls, a massive crack in the sink and the bathroom down light had not been fitted properly. Absolutely gutted I went down stairs and told the reception who were brilliant and changed rooms for us. This time we were put in a sea view room. The view was awesome but once we got over the excitement a closer look at the room the sofa was covered in stains and felt filthy we wouldn't sit on it loads of marks over the walls and stains on carpet old fashioned shower, we didn't say anything because we didn't want to spend our only day moving rooms. So disappointed with our stay breakfast was ok but there is a sign out side for breakfast for £7 after 11 we paid £10. Location is brill. We will never stay here again we feel let down by a hotel that we stayed loyal to. Go for a cheaper more modern B and B

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Emma496

Thank you for your review.

Now we are under new ownership we have now commenced our refurbishment programme to the hotel.

The breakfast option is only available as a single plated option after normal breakfast hours where as breakfast in the restaurant is unlimited. I hope this explains the price difference.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was in Brighton for a conference at Brighton Conference Centre so this hotel was very conveniently located.

The staff were very helpful throughout and the ambiance of the hotel warm and welcoming - much better than a modern concrete and plate glass hotel.

The hotel needs a bit of care. There is only one quite slow lift to each half of the hotel and the stairs are difficult to find and use and the signage confusing.

My room was far too hot on the first night and the bedding was one thick duvet, great for the winter but too much even for a not warm spring and the windows were locked shut. I turned down the heating on the second day but it was not till the third night it was cool enough to sleep comfortably.

Apart from this the room was a reasonable size and comfortable and the wifi was reliable.

The breakfasts were good and generous except they ran out of kippers. The coffee machines delivered good drinkable coffee.

I wasn't paying so can't comment on value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank btbLondon

Thank you for your review.

New windows are currently being installed during June to Black Lion Street bedrooms and the kippers are now back. Apologies for this.

Kind regards

Paul Wright

Reviewed 2 June 2013

As a family we travelled from Stockholm and Sheffield to attend a family wedding 12.4.13.Our rooms were great with a powerful shower, smart decor and comfy beds,breakfast was plentiful and lots of choices.Location ideal for Townhall wedding which was, just around the corner,back to The Old Ship for a drinks reception which was ideal with sea views.Car parking within the hotel was abit tight so we used the multi-storey carpark to the right of The Old ship,be mindful of expensive overnight parking.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Diane T

Many thanks for your review and am pleased you enjoyed your stay