“Rude Customer Service!”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Rude Customer Service!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I checked in to a room on the 3rd floor to find the door locked from the inside and un openable. The lady was nice and escorted me back upstairs where she too found it to be locked for some reason from the inside. She told me that house keeping needed to be called to handle this and that they wouldn't be in till tomorrow morning. I asked for a room change and to please not have it near the lift as I had specified originally. She assured me that this wouldn't be a problem and gave me a room on the fifth floor. (504) I took the lift back up only to find that it is the first room next to the elevator. When I called back down things started to get funny. She said she'd only been working here 3 months and she doesn't know the layout of the hotel yet. (Huh?) Too tired to carry my bags back down the tiny / scary lift, I just settled for the room. Next... I try to log on to the internet on my iPhone 5s and it keeps telling me that my name is an invalid character. When I call down I get a fellow by the name of JAMES PETTIT or something close to that. He tells me that I'm wrong and if I want the internet I have to come see him. At this point I tell him, "I am having a bad check in experience" (but used a profane word that rhymes with [---] and I'm coming down. When I get down he tells me that If I use the word "[---]" in the hotel again, I will be asked to leave and find a different hotel!!! (WOW) - saying nothing I just hand him the phone and tell him to figure it out since he's the curse free expert. He struggles for at least 10 mins and realizes he gave me the wrong instructions to log on. It's only once I tell him that I will be writing this review he starts to act halfway normal and starts to treat me like I'm a guest. Please keep in mind, I'm a musician with a baseball cap on, it's clear this isn't the treatment a person with a suit on would receive. I finally am back in my shotty 4 star room listening to the floor creaking and dealing with no outlets to plug anything in. NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN. And people whatever you do, don't say the word, "[---]" in this "establishment"

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank MrPerr
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
It was dissapointing to read your review. The manner in which you spoke to them had made them nervous however we accepted the apology from your colleague.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Brighton
Reviewed 18 November 2013

In the perfect spot on the seafront - telescopes in sea view rooms
Ideal to access the beach, the shops and restaurants
A bit tired looking but the staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful
Wouldn't take much to lift to a very good hotel given the professionalism of the staff

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review.

We have refurbished 32 bedrooms and a further 48 will start in the new year. This is part of our ongoing plan for full refurbishment of the hotel since becoming part of the Puma Hotel Collection.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great location, right on top of the sea front! Bit old fashioned but then I like modern hotels! It's definitely got character :) Great breakfast too! Had a choice from full english or continental, its was a buffet so could get both! ;)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your review.

Being the oldest hotel in Brighton we have heaps of character which makes us completely individual.

I hope to welcome you back again.
Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had my room paid for my husband and I as a thank you from my work. We were really looking forward to getting away from home for the night, but really wish I stayed at home and not wasted the train fare.

The check it was pretty effortless, with no communication really from the reception team. Once we went into our room we found that the furniture does not fit into the room, as the room is tiny, with a really shabby bathroom.

Our room, 329, overlooked the entrance of Hotel Du Vin in a side street, which we didn't think a problem as off the main street. How wrong we were.

We came back to the hotel around Midnight, and then were kept awake till 4.30 by the revellers, and then along came the dustcart to empty the bottle bins etc.

I think my husband and I had around 1 hour of unbroken sleep. When we checked out and told of our concerns to the reception team, their answer was "oh yea, there are 4 clubs around here that tend the chuck out at the same time, then they all come here for food, so it does get noisy". Why the heck aren't guests told about this?

Wont be staying here again, yes it central to the Lanes, and central Brighton, but the noise puts us off every staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracie1968
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you were disturbed by outside noise and dissapointed you did not like our newly refurbished bedrooms.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have just come back from this hotel having been booked in for business with a colleage.
After reading the awful reviews I was more than a little apprehensive about staying there. I can honestly say I have stayed in a lot worse hotels. The seafront position is excellent. The staff were friendly. The room was clean and o.k. (even though I overlooked the bins at the back)

Breakfast could have been a little hotter and you had to make loads of trips back to your table. I think cups etc would be better positioned on the table.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your review and I hope to see you back again.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Spent a night at The Old Ship hotel on a Monday night whilst seeing a concert nearby. The hotel is easy to find, right on the sea front, with the hotel’s car park entrance located just along the side – it’s valet parking (due to the very low capacity) and clearly Brighton commands premium rate parking charges - £23 per night even for hotel guests – nearby car parks are a similar tariff. If you’re arriving by train it’d be around 15-20 minute walk downhill from the station.

The check in process was quick and efficient, and we went to our room. It was nice and clean, with a bathroom and separate toilet with a freezing cold tiled floor.

The room had a large flatscreen TV, coffee making facilities, and a trouser press.

Breakfast was absolutely fantastic, with a selection of cereals, juices, pastries and fruit, but the highlight was the cooked breakfast.

We weren’t bothered with any street noise, but it was a weeknight, and we had a rear facing (no view!) room. The hotel is an old building, and the lift being a ‘classic’ design…if you visit the hotel you’ll see what I mean! If using the stairs there are many firedoors, and a few unexpected steps!

It’s not the cheapest of stays, but the close proximity to shopping and concert venues makes it worth it. If you’re planning on staying in Brighton for a concert, shopping or just sightseeing the hotel is perfectly located.

We’d definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: rear facing - if you can be without a view of the sea
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed here for one night in Oct.I can honestly say it's the worst night in a hotel I have ever had. Room 143 which is a superior room & we paid around £140. The noise from 11pm onwards is unbelievable,at around 5am you then have the street cleaning and emptying of bins. We complained and were told as its a listed building the Windows are single glazed. I would say there must be some gaps in the Windows to as the blinds were blowing backwards & forwards all night.

As for the rest of the hotel,bar staff quite put out to serve you and miserable.Breakfast was a joke as not much available as the staff would jump the queue to help themselves,and the staff replenishing it are unable to say excuse me or even acknowledge you are there at all.

All in all would never stay here again it would be the queens every time for me.

Room Tip: Do not choose 143
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarah s
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your disspointing review