The Old Ship Hotel
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$160
  • Restaurant
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$90
My Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$123
2,551 results
All reviewssea viewsea frontceiling fanbox of chocolateslovely hotelcar parknoisy at nightearly hourssuperior roomshort breakideal locationpublic areasthird floorbrighton seafronttwo night staybreakfast was excellentlovely room
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Although the room was too small and lighting very dim when trying to get ready, the room was spotless and couldn't fault the staff who were very friendly and happy to help, breakfast nice and would stay again. The noise at night didn't bother us as such as it is to be expected at weekends would stay again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthie8884
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you for your review.

Being an old hotel our rooms will vary in size accross the building,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is very nicely placed close to the Brighton Pier and is facing the sea front. You can't get more local. The staff is very friendly and competent.
However that is everything positive that can be said. The standard of the room is very poor and not in any way comparable to what £150 would buy you on the European side of the coast.
The interior is old-fashioned and looks like is has not been refurbished in ages. It breathes the charm of the British empire (fallen and ruined). I am sorry to use drastic words, but you really have to have a love for the faded gloom of the past to like the hotel.
Surprisingly the continental breakfast at the buffet was very good. The hot breakfast food was not quite the same quality but OK. The coffee was a laugh though.
Our room and in particular our bathroom was very dirty. A sofa bed for a third person (which we didn't use) had many red/orange stains on the mattress. So much you wouldn't even want to sit on it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank SkyBlueF

Many thanks for your review.

We have refurbished 32 bedrooms this year with a further 48 to commence in the new year. The remaining rooms will be fully refurbished after this and then works to the public areas will commence.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I checked in to a room on the 3rd floor to find the door locked from the inside and un openable. The lady was nice and escorted me back upstairs where she too found it to be locked for some reason from the inside. She told me that house keeping needed to be called to handle this and that they wouldn't be in till tomorrow morning. I asked for a room change and to please not have it near the lift as I had specified originally. She assured me that this wouldn't be a problem and gave me a room on the fifth floor. (504) I took the lift back up only to find that it is the first room next to the elevator. When I called back down things started to get funny. She said she'd only been working here 3 months and she doesn't know the layout of the hotel yet. (Huh?) Too tired to carry my bags back down the tiny / scary lift, I just settled for the room. Next... I try to log on to the internet on my iPhone 5s and it keeps telling me that my name is an invalid character. When I call down I get a fellow by the name of JAMES PETTIT or something close to that. He tells me that I'm wrong and if I want the internet I have to come see him. At this point I tell him, "I am having a bad check in experience" (but used a profane word that rhymes with [---] and I'm coming down. When I get down he tells me that If I use the word "[---]" in the hotel again, I will be asked to leave and find a different hotel!!! (WOW) - saying nothing I just hand him the phone and tell him to figure it out since he's the curse free expert. He struggles for at least 10 mins and realizes he gave me the wrong instructions to log on. It's only once I tell him that I will be writing this review he starts to act halfway normal and starts to treat me like I'm a guest. Please keep in mind, I'm a musician with a baseball cap on, it's clear this isn't the treatment a person with a suit on would receive. I finally am back in my shotty 4 star room listening to the floor creaking and dealing with no outlets to plug anything in. NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN. And people whatever you do, don't say the word, "[---]" in this "establishment"

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank MrPerr

It was dissapointing to read your review. The manner in which you spoke to them had made them nervous however we accepted the apology from your colleague.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

In the perfect spot on the seafront - telescopes in sea view rooms
Ideal to access the beach, the shops and restaurants
A bit tired looking but the staff were incredibly friendly and very helpful
Wouldn't take much to lift to a very good hotel given the professionalism of the staff

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review.

We have refurbished 32 bedrooms and a further 48 will start in the new year. This is part of our ongoing plan for full refurbishment of the hotel since becoming part of the Puma Hotel Collection.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Great location, right on top of the sea front! Bit old fashioned but then I like modern hotels! It's definitely got character :) Great breakfast too! Had a choice from full english or continental, its was a buffet so could get both! ;)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your review.

Being the oldest hotel in Brighton we have heaps of character which makes us completely individual.

I hope to welcome you back again.