“Avoid in the winter”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid in the winter”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed for two nights and hated every minute. The parking was £23 per night, even as a resident. Handing my car keys to the valet was worrying considering if he damaged my car I was uninsured. I entered the hotel and checked in and was told second floor by reception. What they should have given me was a tour guide or a map and told me that once I got to the second floor via the lift, I'd have to navigate more stairs to get to my room anyway.
I opened the door to find the tiniest room I've ever seen in a four star hotel. The bathroom was that disgusting I actually shut the door when I got in there. The room was freezing cold and serviced only by a small radiator that was covered by the curtain so was near useless. I walked out of the room to warmth in the corridors which I thought was utterly ridiculous. I asked to be moved and was asked to return in half an hour??
I returned to my freezing cold room and decided to have a shower to warm up. Big mistake.
The water took a full five minutes to heat up to a warm enough temperature to get in. The floor was like an ice block and was only serviced by a tiny heated towel rail that was utterly unsuited to the size of the room too. I would say I had a quiet room apart from the tiny half width door that creaked everytime anyone passed through and past my door. If that was a quiet room I'd rather take my chances in a noisy one.
The only positive comment I can make about this hotel is the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good. I had it delivered to my room so I could stay in bed as long as possible due to the temperature of the room. I've stayed in many luxury hotels in my time and even a few nights in a budget one and my honest opinion is- never again.

• Stayed November 2013
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your review.

Being an older hotel our rooms will vary in size and location of the rooms are querky.

I am unsure as to why you found the rooms cold and will investigate this further.

Thanks you once again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
worcester
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Attended a wedding at this hotel, function rooms were amazing, hotel is quite historic with a lot of charm. We had a big room overlooking the seafront. The food and service at the wedding was very good. The breakfast was superb with every type of breakfast foods available. If we were in the area again I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for your great review.

It was a pleasure to host the wedding and even better to read you enjoyed your stay too.

Many thanks
Brighton
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We chose the Old Ship Hotel as it was very close to the Brighton Centre where we were watching the Stereophonics concert in the evening. We did some shopping in 'The Lanes' during the day with lunch at one of the many pubs/restaurants located within easy walking distance.
Hotel was exceptional with great staff, good clean accommodation and breakfast was plenfiful and of good quality; you can't wish for anything more. We also took avantage of the valet parking which was cheaper than the NCP next door. The phonics were pretty damn good as well; best live band we've seen for ages.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

PW-GeneralManager, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013

It was a pleasure to read and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights whilst attending a wedding at the hotel. I read Trip Advisor before my stay, but the hotel was chosen for me and the wedding party, so I would have stayed there anyway. The hotel was well above my expectations after reading reports on TA. Without exception the staff in all areas were incredibly courteous. The room which overlooked the hotel Du Vin was Newley refurbished and was tasteful, small but perfect for a short stay. Breakfast was really good, it was buffet style, but everything on the hot buffet was perfectly cooked and warm.
The Paganini function room was incredibly atmospheric by candlelight and the food served at the wedding was of a very high quality. I would definitely stay here again and the management are to be congratulated for team who have obviously been trained to give excellent service & hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

It was a pleasure to host the wedding and delighted with your feedback.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed on a two night dinner and afternoon tea deal in November. We paid a £30 surcharge for a Saturday night and also £20 to upgrade which was worth it as our room was lovely, and the bed supremely comfortable.

It is true there is no escaping the loud street noise in the early hours if your room hasn't got double glazing (as ours didn't). But we came prepared with good foam ear plugs, which worked a treat. Not romantic but a definite sleep saver.

The breakfast spread is fantastic, even if you're veggie. All hot ingredients were tasty and the entire offering was varied and plentiful. Afternoon tea was a delight! Partic when you have gorgeous blue skies and a sea view table as we did. Dinner has mixed reviews. The seabass and chips was great, the slow cooked beef less so. But still a pleasant experience. We found all the staff to be polite and efficient.

Location wise the hotel is perfect. Parking doesn't come cheap at £23 per night, but this is Brighton after all.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would do it again on a similar deal one day.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your great review.

All seaview rooms are now double glazed and dissapointed you still heard the outsiders.
englishmanfrom london
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I did not choose this Hotel but it has a great location and very friendly staff. I did not expect anything other than a noisy location but it is to be expected. The restaurant meal was very good and the breakfast exceptional choice, probably ate more than I wanted.
Parking is never cheap in Brighton but we did do the cheap skate thing and found somewhere to park for nothing on the second night.

Room Tip: those seeking a quiet nights sleep, upgrade to their best rooms with sea view(if budget allows) as t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The location is excellent but other reviewers have already pointed out that Brighton attracts noisy people. Arriving at 3pm on a cold November Saturday I asked for a quiet room at the back and was given one that was nice enough but overlooked an noisy airconditioning unit; also I noted that the room was cold. Reception staff were very helpful and allocated a different room that was indeed a lot quieter but still very cold.
Turned the radiator up full and after 30 minutes of it not getting any hotter I called reception and they sent up an electric radiator; which helped. The following morning the fixed radiator was boiling hot; which proves that the heating system works well but they had turned it off during the daytime. This is a Four Star hotel and at the prices they charge they should ensure that all the rooms are warm for guests arriving in the afternoon.
The breakfast buffet was excellent; the staff were all really pleasant and friendly and the hotel itself is charming when compared with the corporate bland modernity of the Thistle next door. Get the heating system working in cold weather and I will be more than happy to go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in status, quality and price; discuss it when booking and ask for one that is both quiet...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review. I am unsure why you experience cold radiators but can assure you now all is up and running.