“Room for improvement”
Review of The Old Ship Hotel

The Old Ship Hotel
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Room cold, bathroom seriously needed updating so looked grubby, car park in hotel ludicrously expensive (£23.50 per night)! and car constantly moved about by hotel staff. Reception staff always say they will sort something out but never do an don't tell you why . Left some stuff in room when I left which I phoned numerous times about but never got a response or them returned. - disappointing

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Sue

Thank you for your review.

If you would like to contact me I will look further into your comments and your lost property

Thanks

Paul

Write a ReviewReviews (2,343)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is ideally situated on the sea front, close to Brighton Pier. Other attractions are only a short walk away. We enjoyed our stay and the room was comfortable although a little tired. We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and both were very good. Great selection at breakfast. Weather was brilliant, so we were able to sit at the front of the hotel on comfy seats, enjoying a glass of wine in the sun. We were on the second floor, accessible by lift, but some floors require you to walk up a flight of stairs. Best to enquire when booking if this could be a problem. Our room was quiet. Public rooms are very spacious and comfortable and include a billiards table.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was my second visit to The Old Ship Hotel (January 2014). I requested a quiet room and was given a fabulous room on the second floor. Unfortunately there was an issue with the heating and water and I had to be re-located to the Jury's Inn. I wasn't impressed with the Jury's Inn but I was able to transfer back to The Old Ship Hotel the following day. The staff were very efficient and helpful and tried their very best to please a number of disgruntled guests.

Given the age of the hotel there are a number of old creaky communal doors. This isn't great if your bedroom is located nearby! Please try and resolve this!

Although my stay was disrupted due to the water and heating problem I will return because the hotel is in a great location, the staff are very helpful and the breakfast is good but please sort out the creaky doors! :-)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your great review and for understanding during our water situation.

I fully take on board your comments regarding the age and squeeking doors. All doors are now on a programe to try to minimise this.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

After reading a lot of the reviews I had some concern about staying at this hotel, and unfortunately I was proven right.

First thing to say was that the staff are very pleasant and I do think they want to do their best, so no criticism for effort.

On arrival we found that our tour operator had made a mistake, booking us into a twin room. I went to reception and they very efficiently change the room for us, into a double. The hotel is massive and quite difficult to navigate around, being split into two, and you find rooms in strange places, ours was in a side passage next to a staircase which restricted entry to it to single file. To get to the room we had to pass through a stairwell which had a strange and sometimes sickening smell of what in my opinion was fish.

The room itself was basic, no phone for instance, but having been just re-furbished in my opinion was nicely decorated. The window overlooked a flat roof with windows opposite, I have had better views! Considering it had just been refurbished the light switch to the bathroom was loose, there where insufficient coat hanger, four to be precise, the lock to the bathroom had not been replaced leaving what was a hole you could look through, the shower head lacked adjustment, it always pointed down and the shower pole was loose. Added to this, the fan in the room decided that it would make a noise like a generator. Did anybody check this room for problems?

Evening meals tended to be a joke, but nobody seemed to be amused!

First the positives:

1/. We where part of a larger party so the hotel laid on a fixed menu. The choice given in my opinion was good.

2/. The overall quality of the food was good, but there were problems, which I will highlight later.

Now the negatives:

1/. The staff appeared to have no idea of service, in my opinion they had just joined for the Summer most of them appearing to be students. They ignored us when we had been waiting for quite a time, when asked for additional water they said they would bring it, but we ended up having to get some from an adjacent table and finally but not least, serving soup without spoons!!!

2/. The food listed on the menu was not always the same as we received. On two nights I ordered Pâté which was supposed to be served with warm toast, which is normal, not here it was served with a thick slice of wholemeal roll, both nights. If you are going to serve it with bread say that on the menu, don't say one thing and do the other!

3/. The food tended to be repeated, the only thing changing being the description.

4/. It does not take 20 minutes to prepare Pâté and a bowl of soup.

5/. This is a minor problem. On the first night they served mint chocolates with the coffee, this was the only night they did it!! But it does sum up with what was wrong with the evening meals in general, consistency in service, quality and presentation.

On the other hand the breakfast in my opinion was not bad at all. The only slight criticism here was that a lump of cheese and a plate of ham does not constitute a cold table, or even anywhere near. Other than that everything was better, even the coffee, with a very special mention regarding the staff. Everybody serving breakfast made you feel welcome, the service was prompt and not obtrusive and overall a good experience, they should all be moved to serve evening meals and given a pay rise.

The one final problem was on the last day when checking out. We amongst others waited for a lift for 10 minutes only for it not to arrive, so we carried our luggage down two floors. When we got to the bottom we found a sign saying lift under maintenance, why didn't anybody with some common sense and put signs on each floor informing people that the lift was out of use.

The stay at the hotel did not spoil our holiday, but it was not a pleasant experience. The company we travelled with uses other hotels from this group, and we have told them that we will not be going on any tours with them that uses this group's hotels.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and as its quite extensive with the comments I wanted to assure you that each of your points will be reviewed and where possible immediate action will be taken.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here (3 adults) as I was running the Brighton Marathon and at £650 for a three night stay B and B ( 2 superior rooms) it wasn't cheap. Scaffolding around the hotel parallel to our windows meant little or no privacy during the day with workman constantly walking past the windows. The big TV on the wall was impressive however the fact that it didn't work wasn't ideal and although we were told it would be fixed in a couple of days it wasn't. Breakfast was nice although having to stand around waiting to be ticked off from a register before entering was a bit trivial. Too many tables were also left for far too long with dirty plates etc meaning although it was easy to grab a table it wasn't easy to get a clean one,.Reception and Bar were fine with good friendly staff but maybe being woken up at 11pm the night before the marathon by staff wishing to do maintenance work in the bathroom was my biggest moan. This is a really impressive building and the layout inside the hotel is lovely maybe we were unlucky and chose the wrong weekend to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review and I am sorry for the shortfalls you encountered.

Please be assured that all feedback is fully reviewed.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Overall this was a lovely place to stay and only two gripes, which is a shame as it was a mere 'smidgeon' away from perfect. Clean and tidy and all though we went when the Brighton Marathon was on and it was clearly very busy it did not seem 'cramped'. All though there appeared to be ample bar staff they were on two occasions slow in serving seeming to think that washing glasses was more important than serving. Only other gripe, although the room was very tidy and the cleaning staff did an excellent job, there was what appeared to be a 'botched ' repair job to a damp patch by the window. Brighton is a 24/7 fun place for youngsters so can get noisy into the wee small hours, and I was grateful for the ear plugs so thoughtfully provided ( well it was a sea view room so you can expect a bit of noise. I feel a bit 'guilty' in bringing up my 'Gripes' as if not for them I would have happily given the Hotel 100% satisfaction. Will be back and recommend, but please management, it can really make you feel special if bar staff attend quickly with a big smile, have a word and buy me a pint on my next visit and you will be voted as excellent by me !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denis K
Paul W, General Manager at The Old Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your review and I hope you did well in the marathon

Paul

Reviewed 14 April 2014

After a disappointing stay in Brighton last October I was wary of my second trip. I need not have been; this was a great hotel. Very comfortable rooms with sea views and good armchairs provided (this does not happen in a lot of hotels!). The ground floor public spaces were particularly fabulous; there was plenty of different places to sit whether in a group or singly. A great range of breakfast fare and a pleasant restaurant area to eat in. So much contributed to our excellent stay. Although the lift suggested '6 persons' I would recommend '4 only', especially if you've got luggage with you!
The most important aspect of staying in this hotel is, I can safely say "I'll be back!"

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.