“good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Langfords Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Langfords Hotel
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Brighton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We had the unfortunate experience of visiting The Langfords Hotel a couple of weeks back and we were staggered by the rudeness of the staff and the shambolic organisation of the hotel.

Throughout the day there seemed to be only one member of staff on reception and she was surly and rude. Every request seemed to be a lot of trouble for her and leaving the reception desk seemed to be impossible. This meant that whenever we needed anything we were left to fend for ourselves. It certainly seemed a case of ‘we have your money so we don’t care’ and I can honestly say that we have never been treated so poorly by both staff and management of this hotel.

Having complained to Linda we were told to ‘write an email and it would be reviewed’ however I got the distinct impression that we were just being fobbed off and they really couldn't care less. This appears to have been very much the case as this initial email was sent 7 days ago along with a chaser 3 days ago. At this point I have not even received a short email to say that they would look into the issue and certainly nothing in the way of an apology.

I would advise anyone looking to visit The Langfords to have another look around at similar hotels in the area. Ideally ones where they actually treat the customer with a modicum of respect. I can say for certain that we will never consider this hotel in the future.

The one thing I would like to stress is that I really don’t make a habit of writing such scathing reviews and I feel as though I gave the hotel plenty of time to respond. Despite the couple of emails and numerous attempts to speak to Linda on the phone(she’s always out and no one has any idea when she will be back) I've had no response.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dan B
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
We are struggling to identify with this review as it is not at all clear what the problem may have been. Our reception team are aghast as, hit by staff sickness, they coped admirably

The Langfords offers real value for money and never pretends to be anything other than a clean, comfy hotel located in the heart of Hove. It has a loyal following. We also offer a super-fast fibre guest WIFI which is 100% free. With our hotel refurbishment program on track we are really excited about 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I'm just now getting to write a review but I planned an overnight stay there for 14 people myself included for our company Christmas event. I spent loads of time searching hotels and reading these reviews and settled for this hotel. I can personally say that I was happy with the service received. Monika and her team provided everything I requested. They provided us all with double rooms at single rate rates, we all had breakfast included which I found was plentiful and satisfactory.

Everyone I spoke to on the outing were pleased with their rooms. Personally my room was lovely, comfy bed, sofa,spacious,lovely bathroom with tub, hot water, tea making facilities, there wasn't any shabbiness in my room. What I would say is that too many people expect 5 star luxury when you're not paying luxury prices, those people need to set their expectations correctly and not bad mouth an establishment simply because it may not be on the same par as a more upscale facility. Venues should be judged on their merit, location, services, and facilities and customer service. I would happily stay there again and intend to do so in future.

The only suggestions I would make is that they should consider having later checkout options available, it would have been nice to stay just that little bit longer after having a heavy night.

For business lunches, a better choice of food would have been nice with some hot dishes, and a bit more food. The cakes were lovely and I was quite surprised we had three cakes and that was unexpected but everyone was quite hungry and more substantial food would have been appreciated. That's not a criticism, just something to think about in future.

oh one more thing, the member of staff who was on his own when we visited I must say , he was rushed off his feet but he provided service with a smile, well done to him.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
What a super revue and thank you so much for your detailed comments which give us some great pointers to further improve the Langfords

It sounds as if you and your colleagues had a really positive stay which has given us the best start to the New Year

Langfords strives to offer value for money - we have a clear and deliberate program in place to improve the quality of the building and what we offer so your comments make this worthwhile

Renewed thanks and hopefully we can see you again very soon

All the best for 2014
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night while in Brighton for our Christmas meeting/meal/drinks.

We had a meeting room for a few hours which was ok.

The room I stayed in was a good size and as well as a bed contained a sofa but like a lot of hotels of its age the bathroom is carved out of the room and so it was built into the corner of the room. The bathroom was small but the shower worked ok.

Bed was ok but generally the hotel could do with updating. Service in the bar was not so good, the guy in reception also did the bar and so he was run off his feet. Also for some reason there were no spirits for sale!

I think this hotel would be much better with more staff in the summer as the guy in reception told me they were full but clearly it wasn't. It tuned out a lot of the rooms are closed down for the winter and the staff adjusted accordingly.

I have to say the breakfast was good and the woman working in there was on her own and was running about constantly. She was great and did a really good job getting toast, coffee, extra cups, etc.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
We appreciate this no nonsense review, particularly given your standing in the Trip Advisor community. The Langfords has a great deal to offer and over the winter months will see further improvements. The majority of our guests are beginning to notice the changes and while we have to ensure staffing levels are reflective of occupancy, equally I am sorry that you felt a little let down in terms of the bar. Your feedback is appreciated

Hopefully we can welcome you back in 2014 and meanwhile please accept our best wishes for the festive period
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This was our second time to stay at the Langfords hotel. The first was with friends 3 years ago and this time I came to Brighton with my husband and our 3 year old daughter. There is a genuine welcoming atmosphere in this hotel which you would not find in most hotels around England, the manager and her team made us feel at home. Our room was specious, clean and tastefully decorated. The lounge area was lovely with nice real plants and we liked the pool table downstairs. The hotel has a well thought of list of their recommended restaurants and things do around the city by season, we were not disappointed by any of the places we picked off the list. Breakfast was excellent, we had room service breakfast each morning as our daughter in not an early riser. Our only gripe was the lack of lift, not a problem if you haven't got a buggy and toddler paraphernalia. We will definitely be staying again in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
A delightful commentary so thank you so much. We are glad you and your family had such a lovely time which makes everything worthwhile. While we do have a lift, this serves only part of the hotel as the Langfords occupies a number of Victorian house, lying contentedly along Third Avenue. Hopefully moving the pram and suchlike wasn't too onerous

Really pleased that you will be visiting again soon and I know Linda and her team can't wait
Evesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

With a slightly better initital greeting this would be a five star review. The hotel is something of a grand old Victorian lady and yes, the occasional edge is a little faded, but with plenty of the original grandeur in place. Definitely more Lady Dedlock than Mrs Havisham. We stayed in room 504, a family room, and it was perfect - in reality a double room with a small single room attached. The beds are comfortable, the sheets and towels are clean, and the shower powerful. The free wi-fi is a great addition, and there is plenty of tea and coffee. The visitor information in the room was also very helpful. The location and parking is ideal - £6.00 to park all day, and we walked everwhere. Its about a 5 minute walk to a world of restaurant opportunities, a 2 minute stroll to the wonderul beach, and about 25 mintues to the pier. We had breakfast on the first morning at Fat Boy Slim's new place nearby, and I confirm from eating in the hotel this morning that the breakfast in Langfords is much better value and of a comparable quality. Plus, as a bonus, you don't have to fight your way past dozens of yummy mummies with 4x4 buggies getting in your way!

My wife, 12 year old son and I all really enjoyed our stay and very much hope to return at some point in fhe future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
A really super review which made us smile. Even the Langfords sighed in appreciation at your kind words

Your feedback about the greeting is helpful to our reception team and thank you for mentioning the WIFI which is now super fast and complimentary. Hopefully we can see you and your family down again from Worcestershire before too long

Renewed thanks
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Lovely hotel with character and very friendly and helpful staff.I hadn't visited Hove and Brighton in eight years but had always wanted to return. My first visit to this city however had left me feeling "ripped off" in terms of the accomodation.But certainly not this time !!.Will definitely stay here again ,hopefully next year. Great location too and i loved having nice clean white linen on the bed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hugh C, Manager at Langfords Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
What a super review and the only thing that has made us sad is that it has taken you eight years to visit again from the West Midlands. You have to come back next year and really chuffed that you enjoyed your stay so much

Linda and her team at Langfords really do their best and nothing is more rewarding than positive guest feedback so renewed thanks and very best wishes