“Disappointment”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Have read so many rave reviews about Drakes, afraid mine may be seen as raving! This was our first visit.
My partner booked on line for three nights 9th to11th Jan14 Cost was £412 including breakfast which, given the full price we thought was a bargain. We requested a larger room at the back and high up as we thought it would be more quiet. Had read reviews of traffic noise in front rooms. On arrival we were met by the lovely Norris who made us feel very welcome, arranged our parking spot, and escorted us to our room on the third floor and helped with our luggage. View was described as 'city' but was as we envisaged, back yards and sheds. The room was a good size pleasant décor and clean. Hanging space was a joke. Two hooks behind a curtain. Good tea making kit. Bathroom immaculate, no place to hang towels, no place for toilet bags and lighting not good for applying make-up. Not really anything to complain about.
We were out all evening returning around midnight. Retired, bed very comfortable. Was disturbed about 3am by noise of central heating/hot water system, it was thunderous, sounded like a 'plane taking off, couldn't sleep. It just built up and died down but didn't stop. So had a bad night. Spoke to the lovely Norris next morning and he was ace. Understood exactly, found a room on the first floor at the back, same as the first room and installed all our belongings for us. Thankfully we had good sleeps for the rest of our stay. A very pleasant lady member of staff spoke to us about the noise problem and explained that management and owners were aware of the problem and were trying to find a solution. Good to know something is being done.
So far so good! Our real problem was with the restaurant.
We had booked for four people Friday evening. My niece and her husband, who are local, arrived and we had a drink in the bar and then went to the restaurant. I must point out that they wanted to pay for our meal. The waiter was helpful and we ordered our food. I didn't have a starter, two others had the lobster ravioli, they were disappointed, thought it bland and the bisque was bitter. The other starter was scallops and they were delicious! The special dish was guinea fowl with just one dish left, my partner had this and found it had no distinct flavours and was difficult to distinguish any ingredients. The others had a goose dish and made similar comments. I had the fillet of beef?£5 supplement It was awful. Presentation, sad, just about recognised the rosti , the so called fillet looked like half a rasher of bacon, I doubt it weighed 28grams (1oz) I should have sent it back but I did not want to spoil the evening so ate some of it, very poor indeed. Would echo my partner's comments. We came to Drakes because of the good food rating!!! The two men had a dessert, not too interesting they said.
My niece paid the bill and we left.
I later asked my niece about the bill.
The menu starts at two courses for £29.95 three for £39.95
We were four persons. Between us we had nine courses. I had one, niece two, guys three each.
We were charged for ten. We think it was a genuine mistake but it adds to our disappointment.
We had booked for us two on Saturday evening but cancelled.
Breakfast. Our waiter was delightful, knew his job and didn't miss a thing. Tables too small, no cloths, cheap paper napkins. I know! but we are talking fine dining and luxury! On offer was small individual fruit salad, completely dried up bits of discoloured apple and a few other bits, had obviously been hanging around for days. On Sunday it was fresh but not very interesting, mostly apple. Cooked menu was O.K. Toast was sad, cheap sliced stuff. Coffee O.K.
I feel luxury and fine dining should be dropped from your advertisements. We didn't find either.
If there is a saving grace it is the staff. Except of course the waiter who presented my fillet? and the chef.
M&R Suffolk

Room Tip: The two rooms we used were O.K.
4  Thank Mavis H
There are newer reviews for Drakes Hotel Brighton

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Probably the nicest boutique hotel in Brighton. Lovely circular room with great feature bath in window, nice monsoon shower in wet room. Restaurant and service fantastic! Great cocktails and great views! Used as part of a Red Letter Day luckily! If youre looking for something special this is definitely the right place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My boyfriend and I booked to stay here, rather last minute, for New Year's Eve. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely, bubbly lady called Stephanie. We were made to feel very welcome, shown to our room and everything was explained to us.
The room was clean, stylishly set out and of a good size despite the fact we got the smallest room. As I said, we booked quite late and we were left with a town view room that had a quite loud vent or something outside our window. It was only on for a couple of hours in the morning and when the windows were closed you couldn't hear it, but it's definitely worth booking early or paying the extra for a sea view room as I imagine these would have been exquisite - the hotel is right on the front!
We didn't try the restaurant as I am fussy with my food but there was a good selection for normal eaters! We did, however, order room service in the form of a ham sandwich - very yummy! - and that was the best part of the stay I think: you could phone down to the reception and have almost anything brought up to you. We had our breakfast in bed for both mornings we were there and numerous drinks, information, newspapers. They just did anything you wanted, and that's the sign of a really well run hotel.
We didn't get the chance to experience any of the amenities really, there is a massage opportunity, and lots of different things you can do at the hotel but we were only there for 2 days, I would've liked to have tried those out! They have a Wi-Fi that is complimentary throughout the hotel however it was down while we were there but we were reassured it was being fixed and whenever we required the internet, an iPad was provided for use in the reception area.

Overall, we had a great stay, the staff are a great help - oh forgot to mention Chris in the bar does a lovely cocktail!! - definitely worth booking a sea view room. A fantastic getaway for New Year's Eve! Thank you!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Great location next to the sea with unbeatable views from the upper rooms which feature large victorian windows. Our room (circular) featured a bath in the room by the window which was great for relaxing in. Excellent in-room facilities including white company goodies. The staff were very friendly, super efficient and genuinely welcoming. Parking right outside the hotel worked a treat, especially in the wind and rain of New Year's Day. We took one of the hotel spots for £12. We opted for the dinner, bed and breakfast option which was excellent value. The restaurant was spot on. Great menu, beautifully presented food, excellent service and delicious dishes. After a great night's sleep and a plentiful breakfast we were sorry to be leaving this lovely hotel. Looking forward to going back soon.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in Brighton for one night and on the advise of friends stayed at Drakes. Great offer for D,B&B plus room. Fabulous place, young bright staff, very helpful. Great food both in restaurant and room service (breakfast). Wonderful sea and pier views - near to lots of attractions. Fantastic room, clean, bright and very comfortable. Looking forward to returning. We were warned parking a problem in Brighton - hotel offered us 24 hr parking for only £12.50!

Room Tip: offers on web site + 360 view available. We had room at front with great view
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Wet, windy January escape to Brighton. We have stayed many times before. I confess, we have one regret; we had never sampled the dining experience. I whole heartedly recommend it. The food was excellent, the environment was really good and the service was extremely attentive.
The hotel has achieved exactly what many 'boutique' hotels aspire to. Drakes is our only stop in Brighton.
This trip we had the extremely decedent feature room facing the sea front. Huge sash windows, bath in the bay (window), wet room. All you could ever want.
The staff (I hope) are well paid. They always go the extra distance. Nothing is ever too much trouble AND they always seem genuine. This is truly unusual. A big thanks to everyone.
Great breakfast, in bed. Limited parking on site that is better than reasonable in cost.
Please don't tell your friends! Keep this little gem a secret. We want to go back.......!!!

Room Tip: Their feature rooms are fantastic. Equally, the attic rooms that face the 'city' are great...
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Well appointed room, beautiful views within easy reach of everything. Attentive staff and excellent breakfast, we will definitely The bar was comfortable and welcoming, serving any cocktail or drink that you wanted. Next time we will have dinner in the restaurant as we will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple