“Stunning food!”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Bristol
“Stunning food!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel but we did book a table for dinner. All I can say was that this was one of the nicest meals I've ever had. I enjoy good food and this was absolutely delicious. My starter of quail was scrumptious and my partner enjoyed his gnocchi (which I felt could have been a little bigger in portion). The mains of beef, which I was told was some of the most tender he has ever had, and the rabbit I had went down extremely well! The puddings were both very tasty and presented nicely. On top of what you ordered, the extra little bits of food - parmesan and bacon brioche, mint and pea soup served in a tea cup and the mandarin (not quite sure what it was called but it was like a paste) all added to the enjoyment of the meal.

Being a small venue the atmosphere is intimate and relaxing. The waitress was perfectly attentive but unobtrusive - something which I feel many places get wrong. If you are staying in Brighton and fancy treating yourself or someone else to a truly wonderful meal then take them to Drakes. It's not cheap but it's worth every penny!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have always thought that the Restaurant at Drakes is the best in the country so where else would we go to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary but this time we decided to also stay at Drakes as well & what a fantastic choice that was. The room was stunning & immaculate with fantastic views of the sea front, without exception EVERY member of staff was amazing & could not do enough to both make us feel welcome & to celebrate our special anniversary. The location of the hotel is perfect, right on the sea front but close to town & just away from the more commercial parts of Brighton, like I said, just perfect. Parking was right outside the hotel so again, could not be better. Then we get to the restaurant & all I can say is that it's THE BEST we have ever been to (& we have been to some very fancy ones). Our stay was PERFECT & Drakes is TOTALLY AMAZING, if you ever get chance to go there, do so, you will not regret it

Room Tip: Any, they are all individual & amazing, just pick the best you can afford
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a ying yang sea view double. Great room with good view of the sea front . Room isn't the largest but adequate for 2 people for a night or two. Breakfast was very good and staff always helpfull and friendly .

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went here for 10 year anniversary in February, which is also Valentine weekend. Hotel is expensive and we booked the cheapest room- one without the sea view, but we were still impressed with the room. The in room bath was a lovely addition and it was scattered with petals too which was lovely! Bed was comfortable, and they made clever use of space in the bathroom/shower wet room. The room was top quality! Service was excellent, and all staff polite and friendly.

We had booked for the valentine meal at the restaurant in the basement, which was great as we didn't have to venture out into the gales for food. The service, again, was superb, and the food was delicious. After dinner we had a cocktail in the bar area, which was also beautifully presented. I would highly recommend this hotel for special occasions.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Not a bad thing to say about this place! It is truly perfect. Arrived and was taken to our room by one of the members of staff - who was so friendly. Stayed in the ying yang sea view room, which had a magnificent view of the pier. There was a large bath tub facing the view and an extremely comfy bed. Toilet was a little wet room, the only thing is the shower is so strong everything gets wet in there! I think its the little touches that make this place special - the little toiletries and robe and slippers. Breakfast in bed was amazing, Drakes restaurant also worth a visit, had lovely food. Would recommend staying here and will be back!!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in January 2012. My wife, born in Brighton thought it would be a good time to revisit some places she hadn't been since a small child. The hotel was exceptionally well located, right on the front, a front facing room is a must! The hotel is very easy to miss purely because it doesn't have an obnoxious sign like others.

Drakes offered car parking next door for a reasonable price on a permit, which is a definite if you want to explore in car as well as on foot.

The room was about £170 a night if I remember correctly, I guess the going rate for a sea front based luxury hotel. We stayed in one of the better rooms, I can't recall the name but it had bay fronted sash windows, the free standing bath on the red base next to the windows, a large bed, and a wet room for showering etc.

The reception was very quiet which was nice, and everything was very civilised in the hotel, didn't see many people, even though the hotel was booked up.

We didn't have breakfast in the Room Rate, however we did get room service breakfast on one of the mornings which was fantastic.

Overall, the room was beautiful, views magnificent, and definitely worth visiting.

I loved this hotel!

After working in a rather well known 5* for several years, I've become accustomed to addressing people by their title and surname, and ensuring my professionalism and willingness to ensure fantastic visit is portrayed in every conversation.

The only very small details which did detract from the overall experience following on from above:
- The receptionists/bar staff (same people) we a bit blasé about checking in and didn't really give the sense of arrival you would expect as an excited traveller.
- Secondly (and very minimal), as soon as we arrived and were dealt with by the receptionist checking in, I was required to pay the room rate up front, this of course wasn't an issue, but I'm sure other travellers like me are familiar with leaving a pre-authorisation on a card, and paying the bill + extras (room service etc) on departure. It felt like a lack of trust with guests, and something you'd expect in a Holiday Inn.

The above we're the only faults, things which could be easily fixed!

I would recommend staying at Drakes, especially if they iron out these small front of house issues.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at drakes for a couple of night in a sea facing room. Staff were very helpful and attentive. The room itself was lovely and comfortable, the bed and bedding were AMASING and the bathtub was luxurious.
We would definitely recommend the hotel and hope to visit again.