“Mixed bag”

Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
chalfont st peter
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This should have been a much better review !! Very helpful and friendly staff and I cannot fault the service. Good location. The beds are comfortable . The food in the restaurant was excellent . Now for the downside. Due to it's location, it is extremely noisy outside with student beach paties and traffic noise being the worst culprits which means you cannot leave your windows open at night and the room gets stuffy. The room although looking spotlessly clean wasn't, my wife got a piece of broken glass stuck in her foot. The wet room is just that...wet. So don't expect to use the toilet roll again . Parking is an extra cost, and although they do advertise a first come basis for the free spots, why not charge everyone a small fee to park We stayed on the second floor and I believe a nocturnal elephant was residing above us as he seemed to stomp around during the night , not the hotels fault, just pointing out that because it is an old hotel, you can hear other rooms. I do recommend this place, as the staff and location are great, but it's a bit pricey for what I got.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked in here for two nights whilst working in Brighton. There is a lot of choices of hotels across the seaside coast and I have stayed in a few before whilst on business, however I was recommended here by a colleague. I was not disappointed. The hotel actually has the ability of seeming rather grand and royal even though it holds quite a quaint feeling and boutique style. The rooms are top standard. Super clean, I had electric or toe controlled curtains that opened to reveal a wardrobe. My room boasted double doors that opened to my own trendy and mint conditioned downstairs bathroom that added a sort of apartment style feeling to the room. Just quality. It's clear to see they have set their standard to certain level and obvious to see that level is the to be the best. The rooms have sky tv with every channel and huge comfortable pillows on the bed, with complimentary white stuff products for you to use as well. Hard to pick a fault. There were non for me. The staff were so friendly and sincere which always contributes. I ordered a cocktail in the evening a and lovely gentleman with exceptional manners created it for me a brought it to my room. Top marks to Drakes. I will,be returning and I will be recommending this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Brighton! Enjoy! P.s DONT FORGET TO ORDER A COCKTAIL!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel was the venue for our wedding, when you have a wedding here they take away the stress of your big day and listen to all of your wants and needs to make your day perfect for you. In taking over the whole hotel you have all of your loved ones near and no unwanted members of the public. Having visited each and every room they are all beautiful but for us and many of our guests the bath in the window over looking the sea in the build up to the wedding is a must. All of the staff at Drakes from the first meeting with Carla (Sales and Marketing manager), to the impromptu meeting with Richard (General manager) and Andy (Head chef) have been amazing we couldn't have been better looked after us and ALL of our guests said it was perfect. Malcolm (Night Porter) giving little touches and Radka (Restaurant manager) was outstanding, personalising menus for each guest and making the dinning room look even more fabulous than normal. The food was all amazing and all even though a small venue it really does work.

Room Tip: **Sorry I made a mistake there is no pool or fitness centre** It really does depend on what is impo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were great really friendly , cocktails were to die for ( the sort of piña colada was fantastic ) the rooms were a bit on small side , but that didn't really matter as you had the sea view & could have a bath whilst looking out to sea.Bed was comfy, & the white stuff products were a nice touch.we will be coming back to stay .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in this hotel a few times because the rooms are great. I recommend the Seaview attic room with freestanding bath, if you can handle the stairs. Breakfast was not particularly nice, that said after a polite conversation with the staff they apologised and did not charge us for breakfast. I will certainly go back in the future.

• Stayed May 2014
London
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

First impressions are great: the hotel facade, reception and welcome from the staff are excellent. I injured myself recently and the staff immediately clocked my crutch and offered to move me to a ground floor room with more convenient bathroom facilities. Bags were in my room before I'd finished the first class checking in process.

The only opportunity for improvement is that some maintenance is needed on the room. A dimmer switch with no cap, a downlighter hanging out in the bathroom and no aerial on the radio (although the full Sky TV system was great and beats any in-house hotel system I've experienced).

Summary: friendly boutique hotel that I would definitely visit again.

Useful tip: get a sea view room but not on the ground floor unless you want to spend most of the time with the blinds down (according to my colleague).

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears,

I'm actually sat in this hotel right now. I could have waited until I checked out to write this review, but if sweet jesus takes my life in my sleep and I miss the opportunity to share my experience, I'll roam the world as an incomplete soul and I'm not having it folks. I just ain't.

Where do I start? In every dimension by which I judge a hotel, this places scores an 11 out of a scale of 1-10, where 1 is terrible and 10 is the big dogs danglies. Lets go through each, shall we? Come on this journey with me.

A. Cocktails. The day started with a cocktail called the p0rnstar martini. Any place that can fit in a drink named after p0rn is ok in my book.

B. Beer. My beer had a viking on it. Did your beer have a viking on it? No, then shut your mouth.

C. Food - Had a steak that tasted like pink, buttery heaven. I didn't even know meat could taste that good. I hardly eat it because my girlfriend doesn't and now I may have to kick her out of the house.

D. People - these people are Quaker level friendly. Whatever you need, they're on it like white on rice.

E. The bathroom. They have these sweet wet rooms for bathrooms. Do you know what that means? It means I can shower, shave and take a dump at the same time and not be judged on it. If i could eat in there, I'd never leave.

So what else do you need to know. Its a "boutique" hotel. "Boutique" is the French word for awesome and this place lives up to the name.

Peace-out

Room Tip: If you choose room 001 you dance in the window for passing strangers
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple