“Wonderful retreat in the heart of Brighton”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful retreat in the heart of Brighton”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have been here twice now, once in January 2013 and in June 2014.

Overall pros:
Fantastic staff. Best I have experienced in the UK. They are outstanding and pitch their service just right.

Great location. It is less than 10 minutes walk to the city centre. It is right on the beach with a wonderful view over the pier. You realise how beautiful the beach is when staying here and you get to see it at night and empty!

Wonderful bar with fantastic service from staff (see above) and great cocktails at a fair price. Great whisky list with the option to try a set of three if you can't choose.

One of the best restaurants we have been to. Lovely setting in the basement and great staff who managed to adapt a dish according to our allergies. And they will get you drinks from the fab bar upstairs (see above).

The standing baths are amazing.

Fantastically cosy in winter.

Overall cons (though nothing is that bad)

Breakfast is overpriced for what it is. We expected wonderful things considering the meal in the restaurant but it was so-so. There are better, cheaper breakfasts with more choice in Brighton 5 minutes away.

Rooms are a bit small, though they do warn you of this and it is actually quite cosy. The wet rooms are an aquired taste but with a standing bath that doesn't really matter.

Two night booking at the weekend. We got around this with a January deal the first time we went.

Room service is limited, they will serve you cocktails in your room 24 hours but only sandwiches to accompany! You can get breakfast to your room though (see above)

The rooms

Room 1 Attic room with sea view and free standing bath

This room was amazing with a gorgeous balcony. We went in winter and the room was fantastic and v dramatic. We were given complimentry chocolates (which were weird) and a run down of how to use the bath which can take 30 mins to fill.

It is a larger room than we thought and v attractive. We will book this again a year in advance to ensure we get it as it is so lovely and always booked!

Room 2 Yin yang double with freestanding bath

Again, a very attractive room with a good view and great bath.

It was quite small which was fine for us as we had no luggage but the small size lead to some problems with trying to find somewhere to put the millions of cushions.

Bathroom v small and doesn't leave much room for privacy!

Is right next to the screen on the beach (they do filmsand you could literally watch them through the window!) which was noisy as they were doing sound tests for the world cup. Great if you want to watch a film for free in the summer (it is only up for a month or two in mid-summer) not great if you want to enjoy the peace that runs thorugh the rest of the hotel.

Traffic noise which we did not have in the floor above.

Would book this again though as v good value (155)

Would book again if attic room not available as it is small but a very beautiful room.

Room Tip: Sea view and freestanding bath a must to really experience the magic of this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Henley-on-Thames
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Drakes Hotel has a great location on the seafront in Brighton. Just east of Brighton Pier. A great location for the beach, pier and strolling around the Lanes and gardens. We found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. As it was our wedding anniversary I booked their signature room overlooking the sea. A fantastic room with a massive bed and bath in the bay window! The only reason that I haven't given the hotel an exceptional rating was that the level of street noise, both cars and people was unacceptable at night. If you stay at Drakes and want a sea view you have to be prepared for the noise from below. Maybe I noticed this more as we live in a quiet place. We also liked the bar for a cocktail and a quiet chat. Breakfast very good too with lots of choice. Though a bit pricey. Overall a superb hotel, shame about the noise! I have written a separate review of their restaurant where the food was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but no sea view!
1 Thank Phil C
Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I shared a mid-week escape from London with my partner at Drakes and our stay was nothing short of fantastic. The roof top balcony view of the pier was stunning. Staff were exceptional. Our room was absolutely wonderful and the bath by the window capped off our perfect night away. We also ate at the restaurant which lived up to our expectations.

Highly recommend for a romantic getaway.

1 Thank Aeroguyau
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I booked few days in Drakes hotel for my boyfriend birthday.
When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly receptionist with a shining smile.
I payed in total 315£ for two night with breakfast included: the room was absolutely tidy and clean, the breakfast was abundant and it was a pleasure to find the newspaper every morning. The price was reasonable and not too much for excellent service.
I also booked a dinner for my boyfriend birthday in the Drakes's restaurant and I ordered a special birthday cake for him: everything was so fresh and delicious!!!! Dinner's cost 116£: I was expecting to pay much more for what I had.
I'm a supervisor in a famous two Michelin star restaurant in London and I can confirm: the service was just perfect and all staff was very kind and charming. I'll happy to back in Drakes hotel (and restaurant) the next time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elisa R
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed one night for our wedding anniversary and had the 5 course chef's tasting menu.
We booked a top floor room with access to a private rooftop balcony overlooking the sea which had great views over the sea and Brighton pier. The best part was the wonderful friendly service from everyone we met during our stay. The added touch of the Happy Anniversary card and pamper gifts was lovely and made our stay even more special. As for the meal, I can safely say that was the best meal we have ever had! Amazing!!
We had a really special anniversary and will definitely come back again sometime.

Room Tip: Top floor means a lot of stairs but it's worth it for the rooftop terrace. Be warned you have to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
chalfont st peter
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This should have been a much better review !! Very helpful and friendly staff and I cannot fault the service. Good location. The beds are comfortable . The food in the restaurant was excellent . Now for the downside. Due to it's location, it is extremely noisy outside with student beach paties and traffic noise being the worst culprits which means you cannot leave your windows open at night and the room gets stuffy. The room although looking spotlessly clean wasn't, my wife got a piece of broken glass stuck in her foot. The wet room is just that...wet. So don't expect to use the toilet roll again . Parking is an extra cost, and although they do advertise a first come basis for the free spots, why not charge everyone a small fee to park We stayed on the second floor and I believe a nocturnal elephant was residing above us as he seemed to stomp around during the night , not the hotels fault, just pointing out that because it is an old hotel, you can hear other rooms. I do recommend this place, as the staff and location are great, but it's a bit pricey for what I got.

1 Thank paul g
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I booked in here for two nights whilst working in Brighton. There is a lot of choices of hotels across the seaside coast and I have stayed in a few before whilst on business, however I was recommended here by a colleague. I was not disappointed. The hotel actually has the ability of seeming rather grand and royal even though it holds quite a quaint feeling and boutique style. The rooms are top standard. Super clean, I had electric or toe controlled curtains that opened to reveal a wardrobe. My room boasted double doors that opened to my own trendy and mint conditioned downstairs bathroom that added a sort of apartment style feeling to the room. Just quality. It's clear to see they have set their standard to certain level and obvious to see that level is the to be the best. The rooms have sky tv with every channel and huge comfortable pillows on the bed, with complimentary white stuff products for you to use as well. Hard to pick a fault. There were non for me. The staff were so friendly and sincere which always contributes. I ordered a cocktail in the evening a and lovely gentleman with exceptional manners created it for me a brought it to my room. Top marks to Drakes. I will,be returning and I will be recommending this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Brighton! Enjoy! P.s DONT FORGET TO ORDER A COCKTAIL!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business