“Made so welcome we can't wait to return to this chic hotel...”

Drakes Hotel Brighton
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Made so welcome we can't wait to return to this chic hotel...”
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Nothing was too much trouble for our kind hosts at this chic charming hotel by the sea. They went above and beyond the call of duty to look after us, and it showed. From the vintage-style bath, the comfy, comfy beds - best pillows EVER - delicious breakfast, every little detail was thoughtful. We were pampered and cared for and never wanted to leave. And it's not that expensive - certainly not for what you get, which includes a sparky bar and restaurant. We are going to go back very soon. If I had any tiny niggles, they would be that the restaurant shuts very early, and that they put they champagne in our room some hours before we arrived so it was not cold, but given that they found and booked a lovely restaurant for us and then brought up lots of ice for us on request for the champers, these are tiny niggles.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed here for one night at the beginning of January as we got a special rate on the hotel room. We stayed in one of the loft rooms with a bath in the room which was lovely, however the main bathroom was absolutely tiny and when we used the shower the rst of the bathroom (if you can call it that) became soaked including the toilet and floor to the sink, so consequently after showering i went to use the sink to clean my teeth and got soaking wet feet, i was very disappointed with the bathroom. Other than that a lovely boutique hotel, white company toiletries and very comfortable bed. Shame you could not go down to the restuarant for breakfast only option was to have in the room which we decided against. Great location for exploring Brighton right on the seafront and about 10 mins from the lanes. One point to note the hotel ahs very limited parking, just the front driveway which takes about 5 cars (and they charge you £12 a day!) we arrived at the hotel early so was able to park in front of the hotel otherwise we would of had to drive round the corner to the public car park which had a maasive queue. Would I return, not sure was a nice stay but nothing to make me want to return soon.

Surrey
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed here for one night in January 2011. We did arrive early and this was not a problem, they let us into our room as it was ready. We were able to park our car at the building next door (at a cost of £12.50 for the night). The hotel is on the seafront, not far at all from the centre of Brighton, so a great location. The room was very modern with some lovely touches and White Company accessories. The room was very small and a tiny wet room, but fine for us. I don't think I would stay here again as generally we like to try out new places, unless we have found somewhere amazing. Which I don't think this was.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2011

First, I like to say I used to live in Brighton so I know the area a little and from the map I know Drakes Hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Lanes. Actually going back, I was going to pick Hotel Una to stay for my duration in my time but their were fully booked so I opted for the Drake, with their midweek/January discount it was a great price in the end. Considering Jury's Inn was only like £30 more and Drakes' came with breakfast in bed for what I paid.

Before my booking I exchanged emails with Toby from the hotel, who replied promptly and I had wanted the Attic room with a balcony (404) for our stay. Unfortunately that was booked for the first night we were due to arrive. But there was another room (Yin Yang Double - 205) which also faces the sea. So we end up staying in the Yin Yang Double for the first night and Attic room for our second night.

Don't listen to the people about the lack of staircase, yes it is the 4th floor but it's not a race and its not that hard to get up to really. The quality for both room is amazing. I think the Attic room wins because it is bigger in terms of floor space. There is a coffee table, 2 chairs, and a balcony. The wet room/shower room is also larger too. Which brings me to the wet room. No doubt you can see from a lot of other reviews that it is frosted glass. Well, yes it is, especially when its steamed up and water start running down it, you can see quite a lot! BUT!!!! we found it very funny so not a bother. I mean if you can take a bath in front of the other person, you can shower behind a piece of glass door.

As for the toilet roll getting wet, well, the cover that covers it is big enough to protect it. But if one really worries about the loo roll getting wet then there is a cupboard at the back of the wet room where you can put it in (it is also where the spare loo roll is). And there is also a rack/shelf high up that can't get wet from the shower so there is not a problem about where to put your towel or clothes.

The bed, what could I say, once you get it, you don't want to get up!!!! It is SOOO nice, I want one.

The Bath tub, on the Attic Double, you can actually lay in it and SEE The pier, that is a view worth paying for. Enjoy the time with a glass of wine, it is just amazing.

The drinks/cocktail. We were there 2 nights and each night we could not resist getting a couple of cocktails each. They are simply divine to the taste buds! You can even ask the barman to make up something to your liking or off the menu. They make it from the freshest ingredients, mine had an entire content from a passionfruit in it, it was just soooo nice.

The breakfast. Again, they delivery it to your room in the morning. Just leave the card on the door handle the night before with a time, and it's served on schedule. They even include some cornflakes and fresh OJ on top of the coffee/tea that you selected.

Each room also comes with a cafeteria to make some coffee with, much better than instant coffee that you get in all the other hotels. You also get 2 bottles of water. But its not trouble to ring up and ask the bar downstairs to bring up some water with ice and lemon to our room.

There are a few minor things that could be better. The DVD remote for 1 room had a flat battery, the TV in the yin yang double had less channels than the attic double, and the dimmer switch for the attic double didn't work. None of those bothered us as we didn't go there to watch TV or play with switches.

The Parking, I agree with others, since it is on Hotel property, it really should be free, or about £5 a day . But I also know Brighton is notoriously difficult for parking so £12.50 for 24 hours I can't really complaint.

All in all, a brilliant little hotel and would come again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Just returned from a nights stay at Drakes Hotel. We stayed in an attic sea view room which is on the 4th floor (top), so possibly not suitable for anyone who finds stairs a problem! There is no lift. We checked in no problem and were a given a permit to put in our car, which we were able park around the corner at another premises. We were shown to our room, which was fabulous - lovely sea view & view of pier. There was a stand alone bath in front of the window, so able to have a soak looking out to sea!
Location is great - less than 5 minute walk to pier and only slightly more into the town/shops.
Staff at hotel were great - very helpful. We enjoyed several drinks in the bar, which also has a sea view (during the day obviously), and we had a fantastic meal in the hotel restaurant. Excellent food, staff and atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
No noise from other guests so had a great night sleep in a very comfy bed!
We didn't have breakfast so unable to comment on that, but the breakfast menu looked very tasty - lots of choice.
We are planning another trip to Brighton in the spring, and we will be certainly be looking to book a room at Drakes.
Absolutely recommend.

1 Thank SarabeeUK
London, UK
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at drakes for one night on a Saturday and had a lovely, extremely relaxing break. Bijou room was cozy, but a fair size for one night and had a lovely queen size bed.

Pros

Fantastic location
Clean, stylish and friendly
Comfy beds
Excellent, welcoming staff
Great restaurant and bar
Huge bath and good toiletries

Cons

Our room smelled heavily of curry (We didn't complain, so I can't report how the staff would have responded)
Not cheap
Parking easy but not inexpensive
Some noise from air con/upstairs squeaky floor, but very minor niggle

Wet room neither a pro or a con, but works well and isn't as "wet" as some of the other reviews suggest. It dries out quickly and the shower works brilliantly. I do agree that you need to be extremely good friends with your partner, as you can hear every bathroom noise through the glass door!

London
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My husband surprised me with a night away at this hotel for our first wedding anniversary and it was really lovely.
We stayed in one of the top rooms with a big stand alone bath by the window which was fab -according to the lady that took us to our room, Kylie Minogue had also stayed in the room which was very impressive! The only slight down side was that the wet room was a little tired although it didn't really matter.
The jewel in the crown of this hotel is the restaurant which really is amazing. We had the most fantastic meal and our waiter was very knowledgeable and suggested some great wines to go with the meal. We also spent many hours in the hotel bar which was also great.
All in all a stylish hotel and definately worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple