“Appalling customer service and no follow up to complaints”
Review of The Lanes Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Lanes Hotel
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Firstl I must say that the location of The Lanes is excellent...one reason why we booked it, although the recommended car park is actually quite a trek...ok in good weather but not mid February!
Initial impressions were that the hotel was clean although slightly shabby and dated..typical I suppose of a seaside resort hotel. Our room was up in the eaves and very dated and quite cramped.
We went out the the Dome for a concert and returned back to the Hotel at around 1130pm. In the early hours of the morning we were woken by loud shouting in the room next door. The couple were very obviously having a really bad argument. We heard one of the staff come up and tell someone to leave as they were not booked in. All remained quiet for a short time when the fighting started again. The girl was screaming and it sounded like things were being thown. We immediately called reception to voice our concerns (plus we wanted to sleep!) and were told someone would deal with it. The guy at reception did come up and tell them to keep the noise down but it started up again (lots of crying and screaming and banging doors) We called down to reception again and said it was not appropriate that we had to listen to such a big fight next door as we were by now very concerned for the girl. Again the receptionist came up and said he would call the police if they did not settle down. Needless to say they did not so my husband got up and went downstairs to say enough was enough. By now things had got out of hand and the girl was screaming not to be hurt. My husband said that the Hotel should call the police. This was not done and by 5.30 am we were downstairs checking out! We voiced our opinion that it should not be us checking out but the couple next door. I left a letter for the manager to call us and of course he did not. We have called the hotel approx 6 times since February and the last time the lady on reception said she was shocked that we had to check out and our complaint had not been followed up. She promised that the actual owner would be notified and would get back to us. Guess what? Of course they' have not.
I hope that this is a 'one off' incident for The Lanes and it was unfortunate it happened when we were there. It was supposed to be a much needed relaxing break but proved the opposite.
Yes the Hotel is dated but this would not have affected our 1 much needed night away.
The fight in the next room was probably alcohol induced but should have been dealt with better. The fact that we had to check out at that time of the morning after being kept awake for hours in unacceptable.
I dislike leaving a bad review and this is in fact the one and only bad one I have left but feel it is justified. If the hotel manager or owner had contacted us this may not have been the case.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katrina01

Reviewed 1 February 2009

Having shopped around for a reasonable rate for a Saturday night stay in Brighton in January we came across this hotel. It was welcoming, very clean and staff were friendly and helpful. Great value,comfortable everything that the more expensive big hotels are NOT! We will certainly book to stay again on our next visit.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Had a Saturday night stay at The Lanes in a Double en Suite room (i.e., double bed with the bathroom/shower/toilet in the room). We arrived early (around 11 AM) in Brighton and called the hotel to see when we could check in & we were told our room was already prepared and we could come then. This was music to our ears as we arrived in the middle of a windy rainstorm and very much appreciated being able to check in early rather than wander around with our luggage. Not sure if this was standard practice or if it was b/c the hotel had enough vacant rooms to allow this, but in any case it was very kind to allow us to check in early.

The actual room was on the small side, but had all the necessary amenities: T.V., coffee maker/tea, heat, desk, phone, etc. The bathroom shower was the best though. Great water pressure and plenty of warm water. The sink had a separate tap for hot water and a separate tap for cold water which seems utterly ridiculous, but am told this is rather standard for England. The bathroom was very nice overall and looked ot have been recently remodeled.

Also enjoyed an English breakfast the next morning as part of booking. The breakfast was delicious and had one meat version and one veggie version.

Also, reception was very helpful in giving tips as to restaurants and the distance in walking it would be from the hotel.

Overall great experience at hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CaliKadoo
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I've stayed here before, and each time I do I come away impressed. While the prices in Brighton are high in every hotel, the prices at The Lanes Hotel are considerably cheaper for a sea front period hotel.
They've also just completed some refurbishment as well as some decking in the front of the hotel, overlooking the sea, which is stylish and a perfect place to use your laptop and have a sandwich at lunchtime! It's slightly raised too so I quite enjoyed the people watching with a hangover :D
Lovely time there again (this time chilling out with the boyfriend), lovely place and lovely breakfast! - not to mention the staff who are always friendly and very helpful. Two big thumbs up.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank hartley6
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We stayed at the Lanes Hotel for my wife's 40th birthday weeked. It served as a good base with not far to walk to get into the thick of things. I was worried about the parking as Brighton is renowned for it but there were more metered spaces than I had expected and that became a non issue. Parking was 9 pounds a day which was cheaper than the NCP. The hotel does a nice breakfast, juice, cereal, fruit etc followed by a good english breakfast and nice coffee, toast etc. The chef was friendly and language students serving the food amusing :-)

If you are a business traveller don't expect the usual standard of a 110 pound room. Whilst this is the cost because its brighton, I would have put the price at 60-70 pounds. The place is clean with the walls looking freshly decorated in our room anyway. The carpets look a little tired though. Our room was more the size of a room you would expect to get in London, smallish but fine.

On the whole, if I was to go back to Brighton I would probably use the Lanes again as it is somewhere I know and was perfectly adequate.

I would highly recommend the Pagoda floating chinese restaurant. I'm a bit of a chinese food fan, even scoring my hot and sour soups out of 10. This place got a nine and a half, really good. Friendly staff on a lovely oak lined barge. Quite novel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honest-Truth2
Reviewed 19 May 2008

We booked The Lanes for my hen weekend, with six of us staying in three rooms - we booked separately but told them we were all one group so it was a surprise to get there and discover our rooms were on three different floors. When we asked if we could be on the same floor they said no, even though they had rooms free!
Room 405 (my room) was OK but the only mirror you could look into without kneeling on the floor was in the bathroom, so no good for drying your hair, and there was no full-length mirror. The shower was great though - high pressure.
Room 117 had a long mirror but a nasty view of pigeon-poo encrusted flat roofs as it was at the back.
Room 308 was big, with a chaise longue, but there was no shower, only a bath, and again no full-length mirror.
The hotel is slightly shabby and dated but the staff were lovely - extremely helpful and courteous.
The bar is actually in the foyer, with a lounge you can go and sit in but there is no music in there so it is a bit odd to drink in there - we only did it at the end of a night out.
Breakfast is chaotic - it can take a while to get your order - and the food was not great. I left my scrambled eggs and didn't bother with breakfast the next day, although my mates said the full English was OK.
Parking is on meters on the seafront road or there is a car park in High Street about ten minutes away - costs around £10 for 24 hours.
The hotel is about 15 minutes' walk from all the bars and town, which means it is nice and quiet, but I felt £110 for two nights was quite expensive (although I know that is what it costs it feels a lot for a bed and a mediocre breakfast).
Overall it was a fine as a base for a weekend but for a longer stay it would not be a nice enough hotel; however it is clean and tidy, friendly and close to town.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2008

have just got back from staying one night in this hotel with some friends. it was easy to find but parking was a bit of a prob but we got there in the end..the rooms were clean and tidy but only draw back was the windows rattled with the wind at night..the staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was really nice.

but if your going on a nite out nearby dont go to the funkyfish club as we made a guest list booking by email and double checked by phone to the manager and was told we would all get in for free if we all got there before 11pm to which we did but was told by the staff they didnt have our names on it and we all had to pay!!!!

Stayed: February 2007