“Not for me” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
UK
“Not for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stay in hotels regularly on business so tend to pick them for leisure trips over B&B's as I like the anonymity of hotels and I know what to expect. As Brighton claims to have re-invented the B&B and offers boutique hotels aplenty I decided to avoid the chains, book outside my comfort zone and stay in a boutique B&B!

I booked the Pelirocco as it was rated 6th for B and B's in Brighton and looked like a bit of fun.

To be truthful I was disappointed. The rooms are themed but the room we were in was done cheaply rather than being done well. Pleasant enough view over the square but a hell of a draught from the windows.

Reaching the rooms is a bit of a rabbit warren and there are heavy fire doors which bang at night, with the noise from outside as well your sleep is likely to be interrupted (but there wasn't any noise from the on the Saturday we stayed there)

At £120 a night I didn't feel that we got value but as this is Brighton and the prices are comparable i have marked this category as average (anywhere else and i would have marked this poor)

A lot of reviews on here commend the breakfast and they're right, It really is good.

The staff were pleasant enough and the location is excellent for shops, restaurants and the sea front. There was no one thing that really put me off, it just wasn't for us,

1 Thank MDUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Such a fantastic weekend away. The staff were very welcoming and couldnt do enough for you. The play room was bigger than i expected and certainly a lot of fun and the breakfast fantastic. All in a central location. I am sure i will be back.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

What more could you ask for when heading for a couple of cheeky nights away by the coast?!

Having left our kids in capable hands for a couple nights, we were secretly hoping to go for an upgrade to the Play Room but it had sold just before we arrived, not deterred (too much) we headed to our Stoli balcony room and were delighted. Loved the mood lighting and though it had no special relevance to us, took the Russian theme in our stride and enjoyed!
The bed was super comfy and sheets as clean as any discerning hotel. The bathroom was also decent with nice Ren products. I did notice a couple of dirt smears around the room but only on places that could easily be missed, like on the curtain and base of the bed; hey-ho.

We loved the hotels throughout pink walls and artwork,funky bar, cool music & the helpful friendly staff and their cocktail skills. Being a mid week stay it was relatively quiet and we had two undisturbed nights sleep on the first floor.

We did take the hike up the stairs to the fourth floor to have a peek at another room for future reference and found another little slice of fun behind that door too. My room tip (as I was scared of the overheated tiny lift) would be to stay on the lower floors unless you're a teetotaler!

Hotel location is superb for being in the thick of it. Sea views of the remains of the West Pier & a block away from Preston St which is just an abundance of international restaurants and a handy Sainsbury's Local, open 'til midnight, at the top of the street. And just a short walk to the rest of brilliant Brighton's attractions.

In summary, we had a quirky time! A week later I'm having pangs of Pelirocco withdrawal and would head back there in a heartbeat.

Nearly forget to mention the superb breakfast...

Loved it x

Room Tip: Go for one of the two balcony rooms, if not opting for the suite.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My third time here (I think). I can't recommend it highly enough. I love it's style, location and the staff. And the breakfast is excellent! I WILL be back! x

Room Tip: Be creative.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Wonderful team, great service, nice rooms & fab location - will be back soon.....like coming home!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I live in Brighton & Hove but got it as a birthday present to stay in Pelirocco as my friend knows I love this place, having visited the bar at several occasions. It really felt like stepping into another world (I stayed in the Sputnik room!) and I forgot about my life outside the hotel, very relaxing. Comfortable bed, hot shower. Friendly staff who made cocktails for me and my friends who came to visit. A civilized rock 'n' roll experience!

Room Tip: The Sputnik is a great solo room, like stepping into your private space capsules complete with funky...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here in the "pin up parlour" on a week night.

Check in was fine - staff were very friendly.

Lift up to rooms a little scary - take the stairs!

We got to our room and were slightly let down. The bed head was made of material and the canopy above of feathers - all of which looked dusty and smelt musty.

The bed sheets were clean, but we still felt quite dubious trying to get to sleep.

The bathroom - tiny. But that wasnt the issue.... it absolutely STANK like vomit. Sorry to be crude, but the bleach didnt mask the smell and we had to keep the door closed the whole time - opting to wait to have a shower till we got home as we couldnt bear it.

The bar was OK, cocktails average, Breakfast was the definite highlight - it was lovely!

Overall the once possibly quirkyness of the room was very faded, wall paper old, musty furniture and the book (laminated) by the side of the bed was filthy! :(

The room had a "menu" of adult luxuries that could be ordered...

Overall it all just felt a little off. I get what they are trying to achieve, but they are just not there. There is a trade off between a sleazy hotel geared towards what this hotel is geared towards and clenliness (in my mind anyway....) - and this is what needs to be looked at i think....

Room Tip: Just don't...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple