Hotel Pelirocco
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
Kings Hotel(Brighton)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsdiana dorspin up parlourthemed roomsrecord playerrock and rollmirrored ceilingdolly partonstar warscloud cuckoo landrough tradecurly wurlysquirky hotelfun hotelround bedcocktail menuregency squaregreat cocktails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my wedding anniversary to stay somewhere different from the norm. I opted for the Play Room or 'suite' as some call it. The most expensive room at the hotel.

It was a surprise for my wife, so when we arrived and saw how grim the hotel looked from the outside, naturally she wasn't overwhelmed. When we checked in and went downstairs to our room, it was not bad. It's an impressive room and the bed is lovely, and it was a nice bathroom to have a relaxing soak, it's just the little things that the hotel fails on.

Our room had it's own entrance to the street. We got dressed up to go out, and use the privates entrance which is a set of stairs up to street level. When we walked out there, there was a half eaten kebab and other rubbish on the steps from someone's late night meal from (presumably) the night before.

Then when we returned from a night out, we decided to give the hotel bar a miss and went to bed. However, there was a dj playing in the bar and it sounded like people were literally standing outside our room talking loudly to each other. I know the hotel can't control where people stand on the street if they are smoking etc, but nonetheless, it was hard to get some peace and quiet.

The staff were all really polite and helpful, I can't fault them on that. And I'm sure if I complained about anything it would have been rectified, but it hardly seemed worth it.

If I hadn't paid so much for the room, then I would give it a better review, I just don't think the price reflected the experience. Maybe I went there expecting too much. It's worth going for an experience but I have stayed in better places and paid less.

I won't be rushing to visit another boutique hotel in the near future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel would not be for everyone....it is colourful, quirky and fun....the rooms are great if a little tired. ..and that really sums it up....if you want a hotel who's paintwork and linen is Shiney and new then this is not for you...if you want glitz, glamour, camp and fantastic cocktails then you will love it ...as we did!!!!! There's so many different patterns of wall paper in this building you can never get tired...its a riot of colour...the staff were lovely and the music which is playing all day long is cool and funky ...would we return...oh yeah baby....the diana dors room has wetted our appetite. ..:-)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We had the 'play room' suite which was far larger than the pics show on their website. Massive bathroom (you could get 8 in the bath if you fancy it!), lounge and huge round bed etc. Lots of quirky details that add to the theme of pimps' cavern. Only slightly let down by peeling paint here and there and frayed carpets, looks like hasn't had a refurb for quite a number of years. Was very clean though & bar staff friendly and chatty. Great breakfast & perfect position by the seafront. Huge variety of restaurants in Preston Street round the corner. Bar area had artwork for sale on the walls and mad wallpaper, very Brighton. We will be back.

Room Tip: I hear all the rooms have great themes, would recommend the play room suite for a sexy weekend away though.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at the Pelirocco for 2 nights and got a friends & family rte as my partners uncle designed one of their rooms (Lord Vader's Quarters), otherwise it may have been too expensive for us!
The Pelirocco is a very quirky and original hotel with all the rooms being uniquely themed, including the Dollywould room, the Play Room (dedicated to sleaze and filth!) and the We stayed in the Bowery Room which is at the top of the building, but there is a lift! The room itself is neon yellow and lime with some of Lee Bowerys art work and photo shoots for magazines printed onto the walls. The room was one the smallest and we did struggle to stand up straight as we are both over 6 feet tall. In fact, I had to kneel down to utilise the tea and coffee making facilities! The bathroom was tiny but with a bath in it, however, standing up for a shower was a slight issue, again due to our height. Overall it was really fun staying in such a quirky room and I am a fan of Lee Bowery but we would've preferred a larger room as it was just too small for us. The pictures on their website make the room look a lot bigger than it is and don't show that the room has slanted ceilings.
Usually, you have to pay for breakfast separately but we got included in the price and it was very nice although nothing too spectacular. Choices of cereals, fruits, juices, and a full English as well as continental.
There is no parking and Brighton is renowned for their nasty parking attendants and high parking prices. There is an underground NCP right in front of the hotel and some disabled parking on the road but it's a real problem round there. However, the hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk away from the pier and the Lanes so you don't really need the car if you stay local.
All in all, it was really fun to stay here but we felt like giants in our room!

Room Tip: The Bowery room is tiny! The Play Room and the Nookii Room are great for cheeky couples!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mesulina
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Lovely hotel with great decor and themed rooms, but they fail on a couple of important points. Our mattress had a spring sticking out of it which scratched my girlfriends leg, and the bathroom as superficially clean, but obviously hadn't been scrubbed in a while.

They get 3 starts instead of 2 as the staff was sincerly apologetic and embarrased about the issue and offered to upgrade our room, but at £150 a night I expect better

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple