“Still rocking”
Review of Hotel Pelirocco

Hotel Pelirocco
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 26 March 2014

When I first stayed at the Pelirocco, it was in a space station room called Sputnik. A decade later and I get a knitted room called Cardigan. I guess that's the ageing process for you right there.

Every time since that I've been to Brighton I've wished I was staying at the Pelirocco. But it's always been full, and instead of staying in a hotel that's cleverly kitsch, it's been in something that's been rather more unconsciously so. Brighton has a lot of pretty drab seafront hotels stuffed full of stags and hens where you'll sit in your room wishing you'd brought some ear-plugs. And then there's the Pelirocco, which doesn't have to make a noise to have a good time.

It was delightful to come back and find it still going strong. If an achingly cool 90s Britpop band opened up a hotel, it would be the Pelirocco. The rooms are hilarious (knitted seagulls dangled from the ceiling in mine), the staff are genuine, and the bar is cheap. The whole place has the feeling that they've just cleared up after an amazing house party which could break out again at any moment.

It's all that's good about Brighton in a hotel - charming, good-looking, and just a tiny bit naughty.

Room Tip: One of the few places in the world where asking reception to surprise you will reap rewards.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We booked a last minute stay and as late arrivals were able upgrade and stay in Bettie's Boudoir. Loved the decor as soon as we walked in to the hotel and were both thrilled by the room and it's quirks, especially by the water jets in the bath! Beautiful view across to the beach from the bay window in the morning and then the lovely breakfast. So much to look at and investigate in terms of decoration around the hotel and feel the owners have made a huge effort in their choices. Reviewers who disliked the style or thought it 'tacky', you just don't get it. We had a fantastic stay and thanks to the staff suggestions discovered some great cafés and bars to visit in Brighton. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Minbee85
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Really enjoyed my stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful.Good breakfast choice and quality. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Central location and convenient for railway station. Would definitely go back and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2014

stayed here recently in the sputnik room, which was very quirky, just all looks a bit tired and probably in need to a spruce up soon...good service and great location, stay here its worth it, its great fun

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed in the Playroom for a fun night and a bit of a laugh. Essentially it does fulfill the fun role and it is different but its very shabby and essentially rundown and I cannot believe they can get away with charging £350 a night!
On the positives the playroom is really big with a big bedroom, lounge and very large bathroom. The 8 metre round bed is funny and there is an enormous bath you could fit 6 in but its all a bit tatty and dated. There was mildew on the walls in the bathroom, chipped paint and furniture everywhere and rusty radiators.
It's obviously meant to be a party hotel with the bar open til 4 but at that price it needs a major refurb.
The breakfast brought to our room (NOT included in our £349! - £7.50 each!) was very good when it came although it took about half an hour to arrive and they got the order wrong!
Cocktails were ok although not great. Staff were friendly enough but we didn't really need them.
One good thing is you could pay £15 for a late checkout (2 instead of 12) however the website was very unhelpful. I couldn't find these times on there anywhere. I also couldn't find the cancellation policy anywhere and it was only after I booked that I got an email saying you lose 10% at any time and then a sliding scale from 2 weeks. Ridiculously harsh when you've prepaid so much for a room.
In a nutshell I'd say it would be worth going for a bit of fun 'for one night only' if it was half the price but not for £350 without a serious makeover.

If it was half the price I'd say its worth it for a bit of fun 'for one night only'! But not at this price.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Gooldie
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for my wedding anniversary to stay somewhere different from the norm. I opted for the Play Room or 'suite' as some call it. The most expensive room at the hotel.

It was a surprise for my wife, so when we arrived and saw how grim the hotel looked from the outside, naturally she wasn't overwhelmed. When we checked in and went downstairs to our room, it was not bad. It's an impressive room and the bed is lovely, and it was a nice bathroom to have a relaxing soak, it's just the little things that the hotel fails on.

Our room had it's own entrance to the street. We got dressed up to go out, and use the privates entrance which is a set of stairs up to street level. When we walked out there, there was a half eaten kebab and other rubbish on the steps from someone's late night meal from (presumably) the night before.

Then when we returned from a night out, we decided to give the hotel bar a miss and went to bed. However, there was a dj playing in the bar and it sounded like people were literally standing outside our room talking loudly to each other. I know the hotel can't control where people stand on the street if they are smoking etc, but nonetheless, it was hard to get some peace and quiet.

The staff were all really polite and helpful, I can't fault them on that. And I'm sure if I complained about anything it would have been rectified, but it hardly seemed worth it.

If I hadn't paid so much for the room, then I would give it a better review, I just don't think the price reflected the experience. Maybe I went there expecting too much. It's worth going for an experience but I have stayed in better places and paid less.

I won't be rushing to visit another boutique hotel in the near future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel would not be for everyone....it is colourful, quirky and fun....the rooms are great if a little tired. ..and that really sums it up....if you want a hotel who's paintwork and linen is Shiney and new then this is not for you...if you want glitz, glamour, camp and fantastic cocktails then you will love it ...as we did!!!!! There's so many different patterns of wall paper in this building you can never get tired...its a riot of colour...the staff were lovely and the music which is playing all day long is cool and funky ...would we return...oh yeah baby....the diana dors room has wetted our appetite. ..:-)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple