“Great Value in an expensive resort town”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Valentine House Hotel
Ranked #86 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
Bath
“Great Value in an expensive resort town”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

£55:00 for a twin room including huge breakfast in high season. We couldn't find better value for money after an extensive search. Exceptionally clean, bright and large room with en-suite (sort of) facilities. Tea/coffee making provided and large freeview TV. We have spent a lot more for a lot less; oh and the location (just off the seafront) is near prefect.

Two minor down sides;

1. Our en-suite toilet/shower was only demarcated by a sliding/flapping sort of door that never really closed.

2. The "seafront" part of the address is a misnomer - Russell Square is set back two blocks from the seafront - it's behind the Grand Hotel - across and aside the Churchill NCP car park. The Square is atmospheric and quite pretty however, and it's only 2 minutes walk down to the sea;

One major down side:

Parking. There isn't any. You have to use the adjoining fee charging car parks. Again howver, the Valentine staff were very informative - follow their advice; it works out cheaper!

Room Tip: Phone them; we spoke to
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank IgnatiusJBath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I stayed for 3 nights and was more than pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff,nice and clean room,every day,and the full english breakfast...For this (low) price,one cant get any better!!!
Geert Vereecke Belgium

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2011

there is no star rating for this hotel so don't expect luxuries!
latvian girls-owners looked very dodgy but were polite. room was clean, bathroom too and breakfast was fine. location is great and owners gave us location of closest and cheapest car park.
for this low price could not ask for more.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed at this place for a weekend in May with some friends. We were terribly disappointed wtih our stay, not only because the price was ridicully expensive but also because of the rude attitude of the staff.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank aitziber7

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2011

The room was ok but the 2 girls - staffs are terrible rude. They told us the lie to get the unexpected charge from us. When we claimed about it, they just kept ignoring us then kept our deposit money with their lied story. DON'T WAISTE MONEY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Vivian6898
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I’ll try to keep this simple. I stayed in the Valentine House B&B (without the second B) for three weeks. Overall, I’ve decided to rate it 2 out of 5. I’ll write why I think this is justified below, and they you can make your own mind up. This is an account of my own, personal experience.

I was given a room in the basement, not in itself a bad thing. The room was not particularly damp, though things like towels dried very slowly and never completely. I wouldn’t like to be trapped down here in a fire (more below), but it was basically fine. Here is the write up:

THE GOOD

An excellent shower. Hot water without fail, and moderately powerful.
Ditto the taps and toilet – I had no problems with any of these.
They do a decent job of sprucing the rooms (I enjoyed this only once a week instead of each day, for a ‘cut’ rate price)
The place is run by a perfectly nice group of individuals, presumably a family.
The rooms have good licks of paint, working plugs, and clean enough sheets (though the pillows could do with replacing)
In terms of storage there is enough (built in cupboards and a chest of drawers)
The radiator worked fine.
Working (though slow) internet.
Nice breakfast room, with sofa, TV and current magazines.
Cost is cheap for Brighton, about £25 to £30 per night (depending on how long you stay – allegedly – though more about this below).

THE BAD

An awful mattress – I had to flip it and even then it was far from perfect.
A really grimy duvet, in fact a blanket. This hideous piece of cloth was too big for the duvet cover, and so stuck out from the bottom. Unsightly. Eventually I brought a duvet & cover from my home in London and slept under that. It made the mattress more comfy and lessened my contact with the dreaded rag.
Bad room light – I brought a desk light of my own in the end to supplement the pathetic glow of the ceiling lamp.
Shoddy construction – the slide door to the bathroom came off its hinge on day 1 and was never fixed. It was out of use for the whole stay.
Broken television. Tinny radio.
The only piece of furniture you get (other than a chest of drawers) is a splitery table on which the broken television lives.
I came back to the room one night to find the bathroom inexplicably covered with water (and weird bits of black stuff, like bark).
Every evening an enormous gushing noise can be heard behind one of the walls in the bathroom (it lasts for about 10 seconds, and comes every hour or so).
The toilet fan starts off very quiet but after 20 minutes of having it on you feel like you’ve fallen into the engine of an aeroplane.
Whoever cleans the rooms often forgets to change or provide towels.
Price (bear with me here). Because I stayed 2 weeks, I was charged a slightly cut rate of about £25 per night. When I said I would like to extend my stay to 3 weeks, they insisted that I pay full rate for the last week (£30 per night). I thought this was pretty low of them, and a bad way to deal with (relatively) long term customers. No perks (e.g. breakfast) were offered, just a price hike. Lame.
Once night I returned from London and found an ancient heater on full blast in a downstairs cubby hole. It was scorching, undoubtedly a massive fire hazard, and completely unsupervised.

A final thing…

When I left (despite much of the above), I booked a double room on one of the upper floors for some friends who were arriving that evening. I was quoted £35, and asked if I wanted to pay there and then. I said they would pay when they arrived. When they did, they were charged £75. Not only did I look like an idiot, but my friends were £40 out of pocket. ‘Best room in the house’, apparently. According to them, the shower had no hot water, which, you’ll recall, was the one saving grace of my previous room.

Dire.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank caterpillarman
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I have stayed in some pretty rough places around the world and don't consider myself to be a fussy person, but I do draw the line at being charged £75 a night for a room that is completely infested with blood sucking bugs, and then to have the owner laugh in my face when I complained...

This place looked OK from the outside (a bit shabby, but I can live with that); the Russian woman in charge was polite, although a demand for cash up front possibly should have set off warning bells. We got back to our room after a night out at around 3:30 and went to bed; I couldn't settle as I kept itching, so at around 4:30 I turned on the light and was confronted with around a dozen enormous bed bugs scuttling across the duvet, with blood on the sheets where they had been feasting on us. Turning over the mattress revealed evidence of a severe infestation, with bug casings, droppings and eggs in abundance. I was kicking myself for not checking before we handed over our money, but how often do you remove a mattress before you book into a hotel room?

As there were apparently no staff on the premises, we rang the mobile number on the wall but received no answer; not wishing to provide further food for the room's occupants, we had no option but to leave and walk the street of Brighton until sun up, when we hoped the staff would be around to provide the breakfast we knew was going to be served at 8am.

We returned at 7:30am, exhausted having not had a wink of sleep, to find the place still empty; we managed to get hold of the Russian woman on the mobile number (apparently she doesn't stay on the premises -- I wonder why??!) and explained the situation, asking her (very politely) if we could speak to her about a refund. Her complete lack of concern made me realise that we were very likely just the latest in a long line of people to complain, as she was so off-hand about it. First of all said she just 'didn't want to' meet with us, telling us she 'didn't care' when we explained about the bugs, and then, when we started demanding to see her more forcefully, laughing as she told us how we would never get any money back anyway and she didn't care if we stayed to confront her. Exhausted, we decided to leave it to Karma to take care of her and wended our way back home.

Our clothes and bags are currently in bin bags in the garden; the thought of bringing any of these bugs back with us to set up home in our own bed is too horrible an idea. I have already decided to chuck away some of the cheaper items, but coats and shoes will have to be treated before I can let them back in the house. This is going to end up being an extremely costly night away...

We have reported the Valentine to the Tourist Office, but who knows what that will achieve. Those who have given this place decent reviews have either been extremely lucky (which, given how easily these things spread, is unlikely), or have just not noticed their nighttime companions. At any rate, I wouldn't go near a breakfast in a place where guests are treated with such monumental distain, and basic hygiene is so clearly lacking.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple