“STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS HOTEL!!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brighton
Valentine House Hotel
Ranked #86 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is disgusting. Website is full of false pictures!!! On entering the hotel i was asked for full payment before being able to view room, NO WONDER it was foul , the room smelt damp with stains all over the bedding and flooring, it made my wife feel sick. I could go into more detail but you only need to read other reviews to get the picture. On asking for a full refund , i was told be the so called manager that this was never going to happen ( with a wry smile and laughter in her voice ) the woman was rude and totally unhelpfull. I will be looking further into my payment being refunded and getting in contact with health and safety. BE ADVISED THIS HOTEL IS DIGUSTING STAY WELL CLEAR OF IT

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank justin c

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We initially saw the old photos on the internet but the owner that did those in 2000 looks as though they are long gone...
I simply havent got the time to write all the faults in our room.Having slept a night and being in a town where on a bank holiday weekend left it impossible to find a better room was a big problem and gave the owner the upper hand initially we were refused a refund or to talk to the owner by the girls who took our money, when we finally made contact with the owner the offered was not at the rate we had been charged, were offfered less than the cost of one nights cost of a stay refund for two nights with a very poor excuse! it was after all Bank Holiday.
I have never heard so many guests in a dining room complain,(my concern was they were complining to the wrong people).
Heres a list of compaints we had about our room and i suspect it was the best in the house.
The curtains were missing fittings and very poorly hung. The shower door on the shower had been removed and replaced with a curtain which was dirty and pitted with black mildew. The pole was celotaped on to the top to stop it falling down, There was a double matress on a kingsize base which was very uncomfortable if you just sat on the edge of it and was far too big for the room. The head board was a piece of Ply board screwed to the wall with a double electric socket screwed to it and the wire was not recessed or in a conduet!! The bed itself just two or three foot away from the toilet in the en suite. En suite door didnt seal properly as it was on a runner to slide it back and forth so smell from the bathroom was terrible in the night. The pillows had no inner covers on and were very badly marked,pity really because they had used really good pillows. The quilt cover was marked and the cover for the bottom of the bed was stained in places The french windows onto the balcony did not close properly. The furniture on the balcony was tatty and dirty, Balcony looked like it needed some repair. The unfinished hand made wardrobe looked very tatty on outsidat the bottom and even more tatty on the inside,There was the dirtiest chair (like a dining room chair not a bedroom chair next to a set of tatty old worn and tierd set of drawers,(but not old as in antique). Staining down the walls looked like a previous leak from upstairs bedroom. Mattrss needed hoovering was very dusty.
Breakfast adequate (only just and not a lot of variety) One slice of bacon, half a tomatoe, beans, one sausage, one egg,one and a half slices of toast. cerial and fruit juice if you wanted them tea and coffee.

Good points... Our Carpet in our bedroom seemed fairly new and quite clean, The Tv was larger than we expected and better than we expected.The towels were ok on the second third ond forth night.The sheets were clean.
Last and final point...The two girls who are employed to look after the place probably dont get paid enough to take all the complaints that come there way and it is the owners fault if it is shabby,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank David B
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I am writing in complaint of a bed and breakfast hotel that I recently had a very bad experience with in Brighton. The incident took place on Monday 22nd August 2011. The name of the hotel that I had a room booked was called Churchill Guest House (44 Russell Square, Brighton, BN1 2EF) I believe this is owned by the same people that own Valentine House Hotel (44 Russell Square, Brighton BN1 2EF) as this is the hotel where the management for both hotels were situated and also the hotel that I went to first, but was taken by one of the workers to the Churchill Guest House as I was told there were no rooms left in The Valentine House Hotel.
We arrived at the room around 6pm and paid £55 cash for the room for the night, we dropped our bags off in the room and decided to head straight out as we were hungry. We ate at a nice restaurant and decided that instead of going out to a bar we would head back to the hotel and have a relaxing night in watching the TV and get an early night, the time was around 9.30pm.
We arrived at the hotel around 9.50pm and the first thing we did was draw the netted curtains, as I pulled the curtain the rail fell from the wall, I tried to put the rail back up but there was a part missing, I searched the whole of the floor but the piece I was looking for was nowhere to be seen. I looked at the curtain rail that was covering the other window and saw that the rail was being held up with just one nail and looked like it was very unstable and could easily fall down, so I left it alone. I decided to go and tell the management as I wanted to get the rail fixed, I didn’t want to be woken up by the sunlight in the morning as me and my girlfriend both wanted to have a lie in the following morning. When I got to the Valentine House Hotel, I was told by the manager that she was no longer working as her shift ended at 10pm and there was no one else on to help us till the morning, the time was 10.05pm so I thought this was a little unfair but didn’t want to cause a fuss so went back to the room. When I got back to the room my girlfriend was in a panic, whilst I had been out she had noticed that there was a dead cockroach on the bathroom floor, I picked the dead cockroach up with tissue and flushed it down the toilet. It was then that I decided to turn the TV on, the picture came on fine but there was no sound, I played around with it for a while but couldn’t get it working so decided that there was nothing else I could do but go and speak to the manager again and see if we could change rooms.
When I buzzed (again at the Valentine House Hotel) I was spoke to very rudely being told that they didn’t want me knocking as there shift had finished. I explained about the cockroach and the TV but was rudely told that nothing could be done as her shift finished at 10pm, the time now was around 10.30pm. I asked who I needed to speak to with regards to moving rooms or getting our TV fixed and was told that there was absolutely no one that could help me. I then asked for my money for the room back as I thought if the problem couldn’t be solved I would go to another hotel but was told there was no way I would get my money back. The manager said that the only thing that they would do was to put us into another room, but the only room they had available was a family room (for three people) and would cost us another £140 and we still wouldn’t get the original £55 back that we had already paid. Obviously this was not an option that I was prepared to take. I later found out that there family rooms are advertised at £75, I felt like I was being totally ripped off and didn’t know what I could do. The manager was so rude that I decided to call the police as I didn’t know what action to take next, due to the complaint the police turned up and we chatted, the police said that there was nothing that could be done tonight and advised us to leave the hotel and book into another. The police advised us that the only thing we could do would be to write to yourselves and make a complaint about the hotel. The police gave me an incident number which is 1865 22/08/2011. The hotel we found ended up costing us another £70 for the night and was very nice, it was called The Pelirocco Hotel. I would strongly advise that you do not stay at this hotel.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Russell B
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Brighton is great. The B&B is a hole. The staff were soooooo rude! We lost our key to the room in the middle of the night and phoned for their help. They said they did not care and put the phone down! Luckily the key was found in the end. Room 1 is disgusting... I didn't want to touch the floor..they could do with a total revamp to make this place more welcoming and staff with manors!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank 1sailorgirl
Reviewed 10 August 2011

£55:00 for a twin room including huge breakfast in high season. We couldn't find better value for money after an extensive search. Exceptionally clean, bright and large room with en-suite (sort of) facilities. Tea/coffee making provided and large freeview TV. We have spent a lot more for a lot less; oh and the location (just off the seafront) is near prefect.

Two minor down sides;

1. Our en-suite toilet/shower was only demarcated by a sliding/flapping sort of door that never really closed.

2. The "seafront" part of the address is a misnomer - Russell Square is set back two blocks from the seafront - it's behind the Grand Hotel - across and aside the Churchill NCP car park. The Square is atmospheric and quite pretty however, and it's only 2 minutes walk down to the sea;

One major down side:

Parking. There isn't any. You have to use the adjoining fee charging car parks. Again howver, the Valentine staff were very informative - follow their advice; it works out cheaper!

Room Tip: Phone them; we spoke to