“cheerful”

Ranked #45 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Solihull, United Kingdom
“cheerful”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and II stayed for 2 nights at the hotel and found that it suited us for the time we were there and the time spent in the hotel. The location is ideal because it is a short walk to the main attractions, the big wheel, the pier and some nice bars. As you would expect in Brighton, it is better to walk everywhere rather than take your car and once you arrive at the hotel you can buy a car parking pass for 24 hours that allows you to part for £7.50, not bad. You are restricted to a certain zone but the roads are very nearby. Once out of the hotel you can turn right and hit the front but if you turn left you will find some nice restaurants and pubs. Also, if you turn left out of the hotel, turn left at the top and walk to the end of the road it takes you to the centre of Brighton; however, I didn't find this out until I was leaving, so if you fancy a walk into the town to see the Lanes it is very quick. The Lanes are well worth seeing so do give it a go. Comfort. The rooms in the hotel vary in size and because there was a large group of us we took up five rooms which gave me the opportunity to see more than my own. Some rooms have a table and chairs in them which is nice for getting ready and others are very small. I stayed in a room at the top of the hotel and it was very small with a tiny en suite. However, it was very clean so that didn't pose a problem for a short stay. There was a kettle in the room which allowed you to make your tea and coffee but if I went again I would bring my own to make sure I had enough - if you're not a tea drinker then that is not going to be a problem. The bed was more than comfortable and I loved it. The bedding was also lovely and cosy and I had two very peaceful nights there. Breakfast was OK. I wouldn't go mad about it. However, it was a full English, and the eggs were cooked according to my request. The toast was really good and there was a range of lovely breads on offer. Overall it was a pleasant hotel that suited a short stay.

Room Tip: The attic room at the back is very small and you have to walk up three flights of stairs so if you f...
3 Thank 187061VonB
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Maybe next time you can try out one of the larger rooms at the front, so you can have an even better experience.

We hope that visit will be soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
sandhurst
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Me and my partner stayed here oct 18 2012, from the time we arrived we were made to feel welcome we had pre booked champagne for the room which the manager opened for us when we arrived at the room which was a nice touch as he wished my partner a happy birthday..The room was clean and of good size and enjoyed the cookies on the tea tray,overall a very pleasant atmosphere, breakfast was lovely and hope to return before the end of this year.I have recommended it to friends..Thank - you..

2 Thank Nicky S
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is great to receive such positive feedback as it means our team are hitting their standards, and I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Our stay was made very enjoyable by the friendly staff, the room was very nice and had all the comforts required, we had a loverly evening meal and the breakfast was a nice touch been all sourced locally

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jfk64
Thank you so much for your review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you will come back soon.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed here for 1 night in October 2012.
Actually, I made the reservation for Gullivers Guest House next door, but it seems to be a common problem that booking websites direct it to the wrong hotel (it's the same company apparently). The checkin was not overly friendly, but everything went well. The rooms are on 3 floors, but 207 and 208 are just two on the top floor. I had 206. There are two shared bathrooms, but shower is in the rooms. The room was clean, had nice amenities and complimentary tea/coffee. Bed was comfy and had several pillows :)
The hotel is in Kemptown where lots of hotels are. It's not the main shopping area, but its fairly close to Brighton Pier and other attractions and lies within walking distance of pretty much everything. I chose it cause it was close to Concorde 2, where I attended an event (about 10minutes walking max).
Staff was not extremely friendly, generally, but room was good. I didnt have breakfast, but it looked good with quite some variety. For 55GBP the night for single room I think it's very good.
BTW: the hotel offers complimentary Wifi, but apparently doesn't communicate the password proactively.

Room Tip: 207 and 208 are sharing one floor and probably have less noise as 3 or 4 rooms on other floors.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad, overall, that you enjoyed your stay.

We do own and operate both the New Steine and Gulliver's Hotels, and on occasion we upgrade person's from one to the other (always the same or better standard). It is a shame you felt the team were not that friendly - we usually receive great reviews for our service element, so I have passed this onto our Management team to find out why it was not up to standard on this occasion - I apologise if this affected your stay in any way and I do hope you will choose to stay with us again.
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I found the New Steine when shopping around for a hotel suitable for my partially disabled mother for a long weekend. The staff were pleasant, helped us in with luggage and advised that parking was free on the street for anyone with a blue disabled badge. We would not have known as the street signs did not indicate this fact. We were given a ground-floor room which was basic but clean and ok. They were a bit mean mean with Tea, coffee and milk provision in the room. it is inconvenient to keep asking. The room had impractical layout as the tea tray was in the wardrobe with nowhere obvious to plug in the kettle! We had to relocate the tray on table near the window, then it only just reached to plug it in! Not ideal but we managed! The only other option seemed to be to put it on the floor by the nearest socket. There was a little mold on the ceiling of the shower which aggravated my asthma. There were no hooks in the bathroom or anywhere to hang anything so wet coats were a problem. A mirror would have been nice to do our hair and makeup. For the price we paid i would expect this. One thing i could not fault was the breakfast, which was beautifully cooked.

Room Tip: The streetlight could be a problem for some in this ground floor front bedroom as the blinds were in...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry if you only found your stay as average with us. We pride ourselves on our service and product, and it does not appear that you were 100% satsified on this stay with us.

The additional points you raised that could have improved your stay have been passed over to our Management team so that we can action any points so as not to inconvenience any future guests, and I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Cardiff
Reviewed 7 October 2012

On arrival, which was late, about 9pm, I have to say at first I didn't find the staff particulary pleased to see us, or that;s the impression I first got, this was a touch dissapointing as we had travelled from Cardiff and were tired and just wanted to see a friendly face. My husband went off in search of a parking place, whilst I was sat waiting for him at first I felt a little uncomfortable and wasn't offered a drink or anything, however within 5 mins the 2 girls on reception became happy and chatty and were most helpful, pity this wasn't shown as the door was opened to us, would of made a massive difference to first impressions. Apart from that first little blip I have to say that after that I found all the staff to be polite, helpful, friendly and happy and we liked them all very much. On being shown to our room we were most pleased with how clean and modern the hotel and our room looked, the room smelt badly of smoke but the member of staff already knew this and apologised straight away saying we could be moved the next day if we weren't happy, in fairness it really was not their fault that some idiot and decided to smoke in the room! We chose not to move the next day as we were only there for 2 nights. My husband had paid for a delux room and whereas I truly could not fault the cleaniness or the decoration I did feel it was quite over priced as the room was very small and the double bed was tiny.

The breakfast each morning was very well cooked with all local produce and we very much enjoyed it.

Overall the not so good points were, no parking, small room that was really noisy with all the clubbers in the street all night and a small bed but there were plenty of good points and they were, beautifully decorated, excellent location, friendly and helpful staff, wonderful breakfast, very, very clean (a massive plus for me) and by the looks of it probably one of the nicest looking hotels in the area.

We would return however not at the price we were charged.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am so glad, overall, that you enjoyed your stay with us.

You did raise some negative points - I am sorry if the greeting on arrival was not as the rest of the stay was. We pride ourselves on our service element and this comment has been passed onto our front desk team to ensure it does not happen again. With regards the parking, we do offer the discount vouchers £7.50 per 24 hours from our Reception which is amazing value for parking in City Centre Brighton. In terms of room size, as an older Georgian style building, our rooms do differ in size, so I am sorry if the one you were allocated felt too small for you. We do regularly price check ourselves against our competitors and feel we are well priced for the market.

I do hope you choose to come stay with us again at some point in the future.
Exeter
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We've just returned from a weekend break in Brighton, first time for my wife and I, have to say we had a lovely time.
Booked to stay at the New Steine a week or so before the weekend, paid 236 pounds for a Saturday and Sunday night. Compared to other hotels nearby this seemed about average.
The location of the New Steine is perfect, close to the beach, the pier, the Brighton wheel etc whilst being far enough away from the city to avoid to much noise. The staff were very helpful and friendly on arrival and at breakfast.
Mentioning breakfast, wow! Compliments to the chef, a well cooked, well presented plate of full english, very tasty. Nice to see a hotel avoiding beans and fried bread and concentrating on quality.
The room itself was compact, ok, small. I bought a 'deluxe' double with sea view, I think the word deluxe needs to be removed as it is a standard ensuite double. The room has a small double bed and wierdly a single bed! Can this not be taken out to allow more room? Perhaps a nice armchair? The ensuite was the disapointment, if you are over 5'7 you will feel no water on the top of your head from the tempramental shower. Its tiny! I'm 6 foot and had to actually kneel on the shower floor to wash my hair. Funnily enough it was whilst on my knees I noticed the grouting falling out from between the tiles...nice.
A word of advice for the owner would be to remind the housekeeping team that whilst refreshing the rooms to replenish milk, tea bags etc on the hospitality tray.
All in all a decent hotel but probably a bit pricy for what you get, location spot on, staff lovely, room not so good!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
GulliversNS, Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and may I also thank you for all the nice things you said about our Hotel - I am so glad that you had a good stay overall and that you had an excellent breakfast and excellent stay.

With regards the other points you raised, the room you were allocated was a Deluxe, but because of the large number of family visits to the Hotel, the room does have an additional bed in the room to accommodate up to three persons. The description of the Deluxe is in reference to the fact the room is slightly larger in size to the Standard, but mainly because it is facing out the front of the Hotel with views over the New Steine Square and out to sea - being Brighton sea view rooms are always sold at a premium and I am sorry if you felt this was overpriced for this factor - we regularly compare our prices against our competitors and do feel we offer value for money.

As for the shower, some of our shower rooms are smaller than others, and being an older Georgian Building we are unable to amend these layouts, however we do not advertise anything to the contrary and I do hope it did not inconvenience yourselves too much.

I do hope you will get the chance to return to us again soon.