“Clean, comfortable, good food, good service, enjoyable stay”
Review of New Steine Hotel

New Steine Hotel
Ranked #52 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I stayed with my sister for 4 nights, in Brighton to visit family. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel near to the shopping, and the seafront, and a view to the sea.....we managed all three!. We had originally booked at Gullivers and when we got there we shown to The New Steine, two doors away, as it is all part of the same hotel now apparently. We had a lovely twin-bedded room on the ground floor - smart, clean, everything seemed new. Fresh white beddiing, feather pillows, big fluffy towels, in a decent sized room. The only problem was because we were on the ground floor next to the front door it was REALLY noisy Friday and Saturday night. Part of the noise was coming from outside (no double glazing) from people walking past shouting to each other and generally having a good time....can't do anything about that!!! The other noise was from other guests - there was a sign asking guests not to make too much noise coming and going but we were next to the front door which was continually slamming shut....so we bought earplugs and we were fine.... Breakfast was delightful with cereals, plus fresh yoghurt and blueberries....yum. The cooked breakfast was cold by the time we got to us on the 3rd and 4th days, which is a shame as it was otherwise good. Decent toast though. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 January 2011

Parking close buy, walking distance to all major attractions. Comfortable and clean, very friendly staff. The option of adding evening meal was great and very good value. Will be back, my party were all very impressed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I was looking forward to this trip away as a nice, relaxing break before Christmas, unfortunately it wasn't as great as I expected. We chose Brighton because it's a quirky, pretty, relaxed place to be, and this hotel seemed perfect because of its location, being both close to the city centre, and the beach, pier etc. I couldn't fault the hotel's location, it is perfect, and the building is beautiful, however, I don't think it's quite worth the £285.95 (for three nights) which we paid.

We were booked to stay during the weekend where the weather was absolutely chronic, we live in Wales, and the snow here has been particularly bad, so my partner phoned up explaining the situation and asking if we could possibly rearrange the dates of our stay, or cancel. We were told that if we cancelled or rearranged we wouldn't get our money refunded, so we decided to brave it and try and travel there anyway.

After a nine-hour train journey to Brighton (due to all the delayed and cancelled trains) we eventually arrived at the hotel, absolutely exhausted and desperate to eat and sleep. We were shown to our room, which was up three flights of stairs and a little "cozy" in size, the bathroom was a bit on the grubby side, too, the sink was cracked, there was a pile of dust in the corner and the toilet wasn't bleached very well, but we were too tired to bother complaining. I felt too exhuasted to eat at a restaurant or in the hotel bistro, so my partner phoned reception to ask if we were allowed to have take-aways sent to the hotel. The receptionist rather snootily exclaimed that they under no circumstances accepted takeaways or allowed hot food in the rooms, and the room service menu only offered things like croissants and toast, so we were forced to go out and eat. When we arrived back, I realized that the duvet and pillows were all filled with feather down, which I, as an asthmatic, am allergic to. We once again phoned reception, being as polite and apologetic as possible, and were told, curtly, that we "should have mentioned it in the 'comments' box' when we booked the hotel". The manager on duty was helpful enough, however, and she eventually dug out one pillow and a new duvet for us.

Breakfast in the morning was nice, all the products used were organic, and the service was good also. We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel during the day, Brighton has lots to do and explore, and being so close to everything was a massive bonus! On the second evening, I phoned reception to ask if I could please order some ice cream (which was on the room service menu) and the person on duty spoke to me as if I was mad! She was incredibly rude and spoke down to me, I can't stress enough how uncomfortable she made me feel, so much so that I decided to leave the order. That night, we didn't sleep well. It was a Saturday night, so not the hotel's fault it was rowdy, though the windows don't seem to be double glazed. I was woken at 5am by a group of guys screaming and hurling abuse at one another, very loudly. The whole hotel must have been awake, because I heard others talking about it at breakfast the following morning. One lady actually got up in the middle of the night and stepped out on her balcony to ask the men to please quieten down, and she got screamed and sworn at, even though there are staff on duty 24 hours a day, who you'd have thought might have said something, or at least apologised the following morning for the disturbance.

The following night (Sunday) we could smell cigarette smoke throughout all the corridors in the hotel, it was very strong and was filtering into our room, I'm not sure if it was from one of the guests smoking somewhere. The hotel was also very noisy, and wasn't helped by the fact that the walls in the hotel are very thin and we could hear the couple next door being intimate, for HOURS on end, all night long. The following morning we had to get up at 5, and the on duty manager was most kind in arranging a packed lunch for us to have for our breakfast, even if the tangerines she'd packed turned out to be mouldy inside!

All in all, it was very hit and miss as a hotel. Some of the staff were lovely,others were just plain rude. We felt that certain members of staff came across a bit on the snooty side.. they certainly thought that the hotel was better than it was. The rooms were fairly clean and comfortable, but nothing better than what you'll get at a travelodge really (other than the feather pillows!), breakfast was decent, but pricey, and the dinner menu was far too expensive for us to be paying every day. To be honest, I never saw anybody eating in the hotel restaurant, though I'm sure it is a very nice, intimate atmosphere if you have the money to spend there. I'd recommend the hotel bistro, because from what I've read the chef is very good and the food is second to none, but I wouldn't say it's the best place to stay in Brighton. I've stayed in four star hotels many a time, and I've been allowed to eat what I like in my room, haven't had to pay £7 for two bottles of water, and haven't been spoken down to when trying to order from the room service menu.

Obviously this review is just my opinion, If you're going to be staying there, I hope you have a nice time, the hotel in itself is decent, could just do with a bit more of a clean and a bit less of an attitude from the staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Hotel refused to refund the booking out of a trip cancelled due to travell warnings.
I originally booked a trip to Brighton to see the Scissor Sisters concert. It was cancelled due to travel warnings beacuse of the snow. On the other hand, since there were other people arriving at the hotel, even it was unsafe with a warning issued by the weather service, they declined my request to refund.

I can understand some businesses are not obliged to this. But I thought I need to laid out the facts here of what I have experienced.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank marcboi
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Our stay at the New Steine Hotel in Brighton was fab.
The check-in & check-out were very quick & easy.
The staff were so friendly & efficient, they couldn't do more to make us feel welcome. The breakfast was lovely - it really set us up for the day.
The only negative was parking - a general problem in Brighton, not to do with the hotel!! Emile - the manager, worked just as hard as the other members of staff, a real team. Keep up the good work.
Would love to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Took a birthday treat weekend in Brighton for a couple of nights, 12th & 13th November. We stayed at The New Steine Hotel, which had had mixed reviews. We thought it was great! Friendly welcome and very nice small room on the top floor. Clean and comfortable. Visitors should realise the hotel is "boutique" i.e. small.

We hadn't booked a table for the Bistro on our first night and were sent round the corner to a brilliant Italian Restaurant. When we did go to the Bistro the following night we had a lovely meal with really good friendly service. They didn't have a cheeseboard on the menu, but still managed to rustle one up. Now that's service.

Difficult to fault this place. Good location, near the seafront and central Brighton. And very reasonable prices. Don't expect to just walk into the Bistro with booking ahead.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
GulliversNS, Revenue Manager at New Steine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind words. I am so pleased that you had a great birthday weekend with us.

We have won awards for our breakfast and dinner, and our Bistro is quickly becoming one of the popular places in town to eat at during the evening, and we do strongly recommend that guests book in advance, however I am glad to hear that we managed to dine with us on the second evening of your stay and that you enjoyed the food and that the staff offered a friendly service.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to the New Steine the next time you are staying in Brighton.

Kind Regards

Victoria Cannon
Revenue Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2010

we stayed at here for a "boys weekend away". the location just off st. james's street and 2 minutes away from the sea is just perfect. we arrived early, the room wasn't ready (which was absolutely fine) but still we were offered a complimentary coffe - what a nice touch! the room was well maintained, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom was practial and clean. their bistro has a very nice atmosphere and the english breakfast is just perfect. the staff were all very welcoming, friendly and helpful - without exception.
the prices were completely appropriate for what we got. i don't understand the people moaning on here about room size etc... if you want a king bed and a massive cupboard, the hilton is just up the road!
we'll come come back and can only recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: November 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review and for your lovely words.

We pride ourselves in offering a home from home service, and I am pleased to hear that the staff looked after you throughout your stay.

We also believe in offering best value for money for the product that we offer, and I am glad that you agree with concept.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the New Steine the next time you are in Brighton.

Kind Regards