“Lovely stay :-)”

Ranked #47 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay :-)”
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I just wanted to say thank you very much i had a wonderful stay at new steine
as i always do :-)
Its was very kind of you to move my booking from december to jan.
You will see me again sometime this year :-)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We enjoyed our stay in Brighton and this hotel was a short walking distance to the pier and shops.
The room was large and roomy and we found it very comfortable.
The staff were lovely & friendly.
The only downside was trying to have a shower in the bath with no hook to hold the shower hose.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My partner and I arrived very late on our first (and only) night - well after midnight - but the manager was perfectly accommodating.

Our top floor room was spacious and comfortable (the bed was one of the biggest and most comfortable either of us had ever slept in).

My one bit of advice for anyone who is a light sleeper (as I am) would be to bring earplugs but then, I never travel without them no matter where I'm staying. The hotel is very conveniently located for the seafront and the bars of Kemptown, but the downside of this is that you can get woken, as I was, by drunken idiots making noise on the street nearby. Also around 7am I was woken again by the council refuse lorry collecting what sounded like hundreds of glass bottles from a nearby bar.

Obviously there's not a lot the hotel can do about this, and my partner slept through without a problem so it's meant as a tip, not a criticism.

Breakfast the following morning was good - pretty standard combination of continental-style buffet and cooked full-English. Service was friendly and attentive.

We were spending the following day in Brighton and as we checked out the manager offered to look after our bags til later rather than have to carry them around with us which I thought was nice of him.

Overall, a brief but pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I stayed with my sister for 4 nights, in Brighton to visit family. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel near to the shopping, and the seafront, and a view to the sea.....we managed all three!. We had originally booked at Gullivers and when we got there we shown to The New Steine, two doors away, as it is all part of the same hotel now apparently. We had a lovely twin-bedded room on the ground floor - smart, clean, everything seemed new. Fresh white beddiing, feather pillows, big fluffy towels, in a decent sized room. The only problem was because we were on the ground floor next to the front door it was REALLY noisy Friday and Saturday night. Part of the noise was coming from outside (no double glazing) from people walking past shouting to each other and generally having a good time....can't do anything about that!!! The other noise was from other guests - there was a sign asking guests not to make too much noise coming and going but we were next to the front door which was continually slamming shut....so we bought earplugs and we were fine.... Breakfast was delightful with cereals, plus fresh yoghurt and blueberries....yum. The cooked breakfast was cold by the time we got to us on the 3rd and 4th days, which is a shame as it was otherwise good. Decent toast though. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Parking close buy, walking distance to all major attractions. Comfortable and clean, very friendly staff. The option of adding evening meal was great and very good value. Will be back, my party were all very impressed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I was looking forward to this trip away as a nice, relaxing break before Christmas, unfortunately it wasn't as great as I expected. We chose Brighton because it's a quirky, pretty, relaxed place to be, and this hotel seemed perfect because of its location, being both close to the city centre, and the beach, pier etc. I couldn't fault the hotel's location, it is perfect, and the building is beautiful, however, I don't think it's quite worth the £285.95 (for three nights) which we paid.

We were booked to stay during the weekend where the weather was absolutely chronic, we live in Wales, and the snow here has been particularly bad, so my partner phoned up explaining the situation and asking if we could possibly rearrange the dates of our stay, or cancel. We were told that if we cancelled or rearranged we wouldn't get our money refunded, so we decided to brave it and try and travel there anyway.

After a nine-hour train journey to Brighton (due to all the delayed and cancelled trains) we eventually arrived at the hotel, absolutely exhausted and desperate to eat and sleep. We were shown to our room, which was up three flights of stairs and a little "cozy" in size, the bathroom was a bit on the grubby side, too, the sink was cracked, there was a pile of dust in the corner and the toilet wasn't bleached very well, but we were too tired to bother complaining. I felt too exhuasted to eat at a restaurant or in the hotel bistro, so my partner phoned reception to ask if we were allowed to have take-aways sent to the hotel. The receptionist rather snootily exclaimed that they under no circumstances accepted takeaways or allowed hot food in the rooms, and the room service menu only offered things like croissants and toast, so we were forced to go out and eat. When we arrived back, I realized that the duvet and pillows were all filled with feather down, which I, as an asthmatic, am allergic to. We once again phoned reception, being as polite and apologetic as possible, and were told, curtly, that we "should have mentioned it in the 'comments' box' when we booked the hotel". The manager on duty was helpful enough, however, and she eventually dug out one pillow and a new duvet for us.

Breakfast in the morning was nice, all the products used were organic, and the service was good also. We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel during the day, Brighton has lots to do and explore, and being so close to everything was a massive bonus! On the second evening, I phoned reception to ask if I could please order some ice cream (which was on the room service menu) and the person on duty spoke to me as if I was mad! She was incredibly rude and spoke down to me, I can't stress enough how uncomfortable she made me feel, so much so that I decided to leave the order. That night, we didn't sleep well. It was a Saturday night, so not the hotel's fault it was rowdy, though the windows don't seem to be double glazed. I was woken at 5am by a group of guys screaming and hurling abuse at one another, very loudly. The whole hotel must have been awake, because I heard others talking about it at breakfast the following morning. One lady actually got up in the middle of the night and stepped out on her balcony to ask the men to please quieten down, and she got screamed and sworn at, even though there are staff on duty 24 hours a day, who you'd have thought might have said something, or at least apologised the following morning for the disturbance.

The following night (Sunday) we could smell cigarette smoke throughout all the corridors in the hotel, it was very strong and was filtering into our room, I'm not sure if it was from one of the guests smoking somewhere. The hotel was also very noisy, and wasn't helped by the fact that the walls in the hotel are very thin and we could hear the couple next door being intimate, for HOURS on end, all night long. The following morning we had to get up at 5, and the on duty manager was most kind in arranging a packed lunch for us to have for our breakfast, even if the tangerines she'd packed turned out to be mouldy inside!

All in all, it was very hit and miss as a hotel. Some of the staff were lovely,others were just plain rude. We felt that certain members of staff came across a bit on the snooty side.. they certainly thought that the hotel was better than it was. The rooms were fairly clean and comfortable, but nothing better than what you'll get at a travelodge really (other than the feather pillows!), breakfast was decent, but pricey, and the dinner menu was far too expensive for us to be paying every day. To be honest, I never saw anybody eating in the hotel restaurant, though I'm sure it is a very nice, intimate atmosphere if you have the money to spend there. I'd recommend the hotel bistro, because from what I've read the chef is very good and the food is second to none, but I wouldn't say it's the best place to stay in Brighton. I've stayed in four star hotels many a time, and I've been allowed to eat what I like in my room, haven't had to pay £7 for two bottles of water, and haven't been spoken down to when trying to order from the room service menu.

Obviously this review is just my opinion, If you're going to be staying there, I hope you have a nice time, the hotel in itself is decent, could just do with a bit more of a clean and a bit less of an attitude from the staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Hotel refused to refund the booking out of a trip cancelled due to travell warnings.
I originally booked a trip to Brighton to see the Scissor Sisters concert. It was cancelled due to travel warnings beacuse of the snow. On the other hand, since there were other people arriving at the hotel, even it was unsafe with a warning issued by the weather service, they declined my request to refund.

I can understand some businesses are not obliged to this. But I thought I need to laid out the facts here of what I have experienced.

Stayed December 2010, travelled solo