“Free upgrade!”

Amsterdam Hotel Brighton
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were delighted to arrive at the Amsterdam Hotel to be told we were being given a free upgrade to the Penthouse Suite! It made our romantic weekend extra special as we would never be able to afford a room like that. We had views of the sea, Brighton Pier, the wheel - it made us feel on top of the world. The room had a four poster bed, living room, two flat screen tv and a large bath.

Our only two criticisms - the glass on the windows is thin so we were kept awake til 3:00am by drunken shouting on the street outside. We bought ear plugs for the second night! The breakfast is very basic - could be better!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel could be so much better. The staff are friendly & helpful. The price was steep for what you actually get.
Our room was billed as a rear view - it was very much on the side & had a lovely view of The Brighton Wheel, although it meant leaning out of the window. It was a nice touch to be able to view it though.

The room itself (41), was at the top of the hotel on 4th floor, so had to walk up 1 flight as the lift stops on 3rd floor. The room was very basic & clear evidence of dust /fluff on the floor by the desk.
The wardrobe was a quick "homemade" job. There were no draws for items & 1 high shelf inside.
The tea / coffee facilities was on the ledge where the suitcase had to go (couldn't place it anywhere else in the room) so could have been dangerous if not careful.
Room was noisy from traffic. If you left the sash windows open (I know, in this day & age!!), the window made them rattle, thank goodness for ear plugs.

Breakfast - hugely disappointing. 3 choices of cheese & ham. Cereal, bread for toast, yoghurt, fruit salad or croissants. You could pay £5 or more for a cooked breakfast. No-one paid for this as you've already paid for breakfast right?

Good points: Bed was the best thing about the hotel - so comfortable.
Right on sea front, for bars/clubs in gay village

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I arrived here with a friend as a solo traveller. The staff were very friendly and the location really good. However the hotel facilities are poor. The corridors are dark and do not feel pleasant with short dark staircases up and down and . The room I stayed in was quite small. The window had an opaque film over it which meant that the room was dark even in the day time and quite claustrophobic. The carpet was not clean and so I did not want to walk on it in bare feet as there was dust clumps and bits on the floor which stayed all the time I was there. The bed however was clean and comfortable as were the towels. There are tea and coffee facilities in the room and the wifi had a good connection.
The breakfast room was the bar and not a pleasant experience. The continental breakfast was meagre and the meat and cheese were not cooled but out from 7:00 till 10:00. Surely this isnt right.. Some of the cut fruit had turned brown and was sour. The thing that really spoiled the breakfast experience was the manager. On the first day we were asked by the bar manager what the receptionist had told us about breakfast Then the next day I overheard him threatening staff with job loss because they were on probation. I overheard this conversation on 2 consecutive days which was really irritating.and made me feel guilty for my answer the day before which was honest as breakfast wasnt mentioned and we hadnt asked.

Room Tip: The front is noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We arrived on bikes and the staff were very helpful finding somewhere safe to store them. We arrived late and they recommended a fantastic steak restaurant and then phoned to book us a table. Overall the staff were brilliant. Location of the hotel is excellent if you want to be close to the bars, the sea and restaurants. The decent walk-in shower was a pleasure after a long ride.
The continental breakfast was a little disappointing. I was looking forwards to some bacon and eggs rather than croissants and cheese.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed at the Amsterdam Hotel on Friday 13/6/2014. Upon arrival we were given the key to room 10. A little alarm bell went off in my head but I couldn't remember why this would be. I found out soon enough. We went up the stairs and through a door to the 1st floor, where our room was and then had to go through another door and down a half-flight of stairs to our room. The stair area was quite dark and a little claustrophobic. Our room was bright, if fairly basic but it did have a good view of the pier. There was a window door that led onto a small, outside terrace in front of the room. This looked down upon the Hotel bar terrace area as well as the night club next door to the Hotel. The noise from the traffic on the very busy sea front road was constant and loud and was little better with the window door and windows closed. I mentioned to my partner that I wasn't expecting a good night's sleep due to the traffic and the night club. We had parked our car at The Lanes car park (about a 10 minute walk from the Hotel) and whilst a real plus about this car park is that it is secure, a huge minus is that it is nothing short of extortionate in its pricing. The Hotel has no parking itself but offers parking vouchers at £7.50 a day to park in the Zone 'C' parking areas in the streets around the Hotel. This would've been welcome but for one thing and that was it was impossible to find a space, even at 11.30 at night when we had returned from the event we were attending. We'd parked in The Lanes car park during the day and when we went to collect our car and pay we got quite a shock. To park there for 5 hours, the charge is £13. We had been there for 5 hours and 8 minutes and were charged £20. This of course is no fault of the Amsterdam Hotel but I felt it necessary to point out the parking difficulties we had to endure. Back to room 10. The en-suite bathroom was a wet-room and was adequate enough if a little tired and tatty looking. The towel radiator looking particularly tatty. The room was equipped with a good sized TV on the wall, tea and coffee making facilities, an iron and ironing board and a fan. There were no biscuits or bottled water. The room felt quite warm, uncomfortably so without the window door being open but then with the door and or windows open you would have to deal with the traffic noise from outside. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows.
After we returned from the event we had attended, around 11.45pm, we went to our room. We had walked past the busy night club on our way in and I had a feeling of trepidation which, as it turned out, was totally on the button. When we got into our room the noise from the night club was nothing short of horrendous. The beat from the music made it feel like the room was vibrating in time to it. Add in the noise from the people milling around outside of the club and it was nothing short of awful. My partner was fortunate in that she had brought some very good ear-plugs. I had no such luxury and had to lay in bed listening to the cacophony sound with a growing sense of anger and frustration. I eventually 'dozed' off at around 2am but kept on waking up at irregular intervals. I was finally awoken at 4.45am by the noise of several very loud people who were still outside of the night club. Shortly after, a recycling lorry turned up to empty the large glass bottle container outside of the club. The sound of hundreds and hundreds of glass bottles being tipped into a lorry that early in the morning is a particularly jarring and unpleasant sound when you've only had around 3 hours of fitful sleep.
Breakfast was a continental one (you had to pay extra for a cooked breakfast) and was quite disappointing for the lack of choice. The salad on the continental meats tray was far from fresh which you could see from the colouring around the lettuce stalks. We were asked if we'd like tea or coffee. I asked for coffee and my partner asked for tea. After 10 minutes we had to remind the person who'd asked us what we wanted that we hadn't received our tea and coffee. He apologised and went away with us thinking he was sorting our request. It was another 10 minutes before the tea arrived but my coffee didn't. At this point I just couldn't be bothered to complain, mainly due to fatigue and had some of my partner's tea instead. I wouldn't have minded so much if there were a lot of people being served breakfasts but there wasn't and the majority of those who were there were eating from the self-serve continental 'buffet'. Over all a very disappointing stay and one I won't be repeating. I should point out that my partner said she slept okay but then she did have some very good ear-plugs. I cannot emphasise enough the need for anyone who books this Hotel to avoid room 10 and any room at the front of the Hotel) at all costs.

Room Tip: Room 10 at this Hotel should be put in Room 101!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RedCorner
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed in May 4 nights to attend a conference. Room adequate though the view wasn't great. A colleague had a wonderfully large room with a view over out to sea. I wasn't concerned but some customers may been put off somewhat. Continental Breakfast was a little disappointing if only as it lacked variety. Perhaps hard boiled eggs and Greek Yogurt with honey would provide an inexpensive but welcome alternative but I suspect the owners fully know the business. The location is excellent directly opposite the pier and Big Wheel. I stayed Sun - Thur but suspect Fri & Sat evenings could be a bit lively given the sea front location. Would I stay again - probably not but only because I learned of better similarly priced alternative accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if staying mid week - but not at weekend as noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or welcoming. Very convenient to the main attractions of Brighton. Good food and good fun.I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends