“Rooms a disgrace”

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Rooms a disgrace”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Having been looking forward to staying at this hotel, I was firstly very disapointed with the whole check in experience, what a distaster. The young man behind the desk firstly overcharged us and then give us a back room when we had asked for a sea view, the room was a disgrace, as a non smoker we were given a smoking room, as they were only a limited number of non smoking rooms, which in this day an age I find amazing. It smelt of stale cigarettes and damp, not a good combination. The room was tiny, with only just enough room to walk round the edge of the bed, no wondered there are no pictures of the standard rooms on their website.

On a brighter note, the bar staff were fantastic very friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We stayed at The Amsterdam on a Saturday night in February and were very happy with the room and the service. The room had a brilliant view of the pier and out to sea, the bed was very comfortable, it was clean and had everything we needed (apart from a hairdryer). The staff we encountered, from the front desk to the cleaners, were very friendly.

People have mentioned the noise, and I must admit that even in February with all the windows closed it was quite noticeable. We got back to our room at about 2am and the party was still raging at the bar next door with people spilling onto the terrace under our window. Fortunately we were tired enough to get to sleep with no problem, but I would think twice about staying here in summer. If, however, you're a party animal wanting to sample the nightlife then this hotel is probably ideal for you.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My partner and I have stayed at the Amsterdam a couple of times and have really enjoyed our stays.

We were a little dubious before booking as it is advertised as a gay hotel, but we were treated really well the whole time.

The reason we booked the amsterdam was it is one of the few places in Brighton that takes 1 night bookings and was able to give us a very spacious sea view double for £100 which is quite reasonable really given the location, view and fact that most places charge more and for 2 nights.

The room was on the 2nd floor and was very spacious with a nice big double bed, 3 big windows to make the room nice and light and the room was spotless, with a flat screen tv with free view.

Id certainly recommend the amsterdam to anyone (well, the room we had anyway) as its located perfectly for the pier, sea front and shops, its comfy clean, has fantastic views and is fair value for money, especially if your only doing one night.

• Liked — View & The Bed
  • Disliked — Slightly dodgy toilet seat!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for the second time and enjoyed it very much. The staff is very friendly and the hotel is very close to main gay venues and the sea. Don't expect fresh towels every day though and it is normally very noisy outside at night... but who sleeps at night while visiting Brighton in any case?

• Liked — Good location and very gay
  • Disliked — They did not change our towels
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2008

After looking at The Amsterdam's website I decided to book a room there for a mid week break. On arrival at Brighton station, the taxi driver knew just were to take me, he also assured me that I would have a lovely time.

On arrival I was met by friendly staff who appologized for the refurbishment currently going on. Must say you would never know there were any work done, the noise level was always at a low and the area around the workmen were always kept clean, didnt even mind the refurbishment work now.

Walked into my room and so happy when opening the windows to see a lovely sea view. I was amazed at how clean and comfortable the room was. Like all of us I started inspecting the whole room as soon as my bags were on the floor. What a surprise could find nothing wrong.

I unpacked and went down to the bar for a cold one, back in the room I switched on my computer to read and send some emails. At first the wi fi connection was working like a dream, what fun sitting on the balcony looking at life, having a cold beer and surfing the net in the same time. Alas the wi fi connection got weaker and weaker and by night time there was no connection at all. For people like me who are addicted to their computers it sure was a let down. After asking reception about the connection they assured my that they are working on the problem. A few minutes later as I walked down to have a stroll on the beach. I saw the manager and some staff working hard on the problem with a signal booster box lying on the counter. The next morning I could get my normal fix of the internet.

The bar got busy the eve and late night I went down to have a quick night cap. I sat outside on the terrace watching the staff cleaning up and getting ready to close. A very friendly staff member then opened up an umbrella cleaned my table and bought some extra chairs around.

Had a great sleep that night with very clean bedding and a soft comfordable bed. Decided to sleep in and missed the breakfast that was on offer the next morning. Late afternoon I went down to the sauna and was surprised to see the high quality of this small but intimate place. Well done for a great sauna, the best I've ever been to.

All and all I had an amzing time in a well maintained hotel with lots of friendly staff, a nice bar and an execeptional room.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Good old English weather
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Booked on the hotel's easy to use website. Had read mixed reviews so was a bit uneasy, but the Amsterdam allowed us to book for 1 night at the weekend, unlike a lot of other hotels we had tried.

We arrived really early and, no surprise, the room wasn't ready. They were happy to look after our bags and, when we returned later, we went straight up the the room.

The room smelled of paint and looked like it had just been redone. It could have done with a picture or two on the wall, but I'm sure they'll get round to it. Whoever had done the painting had obviously had a great time - there was paint on the light fittings, on the sofa cushion, on the waste bin, everywhere. The bathroom was a wet room and was nicely done. The bed was comfortable and the bedding very clean. Flat screen TV would have benefited from more than 4 channels.

The room was huge and had a great view of the pier. The bad side of having a lovely sea view is that the road is pretty noisy. There is a club next door and the crowd noise carried on all night . Didn't bother us as we passed out in an alcohol induced coma anyway. So, if you want an early night, I'd suggest you give up the view and go for a side room.

The sauna was being refurbished, so didn't get to use it. The bar is great and there was a good crowd in.

The thing that lifts this place from just being a nice place to stay is the friendly staff. At checkin, at the bar, leaving or collecting luggage - whenever we met the hotel staff they were enthusiastic, professional and friendly. They made our stay with them relaxing and memorable.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonDj
Reviewed 25 November 2007

After an extremely rocky start at the Millards Hotel, Brighton, where my wife and I had originally booked for our first visit to the city, we were compelled to seek alternative accommodation within an hour of our arrival. For the reasons of our departure from Millards kindly refer to negative reviews on that hotel pertaining to the proprietor’s character.

Luckily, we had spotted a more pleasant looking facility on the corner of Broad St and Marine Parade called The Amsterdam (The Ams) . It gives my wife and I great joy to comment about this establishment. After leaving Millards we were stressed and devastated to say the least, but as soon as we walked through the doors at The Ams our moods automatically changed and our spirits lifted. We were met at the door by a member of staff who happened to be stepping out, and met us with a kind, "how are you, please come in". We promptly did exactly that.

We moved swiftly through the bar area and were directed to the reception desk by a well mannered young gentleman, whom kindly let us know there were rooms available in response to our desperate plea, "please tell us you have rooms for us". At this point Andy the Manager was summoned to our rescue. Andy is the BEST!!! We were swiftly checked in by him personally and sent up to our spacious, clean, well presented, sea-front suite…WOW, we loved it beyond words. We felt safe, secure and at ease. We were treated with respect and courtesy. Later that evening after returning to the Hotel from a walk on the pier, there was a box of Belgian Chocolates waiting for us with a card from Management and Staff (never imagined that the brief mention of our anniversary caught their attention).

In a nut-shell, The Amsterdam saved our short weekend. Everyone was lovely. Service with a smile is an understatement – every encounter with a member of staff lead to a fun and pleasant conversation. The room was excellent, breakfast was rich magnificent and very tasty. We don’t even have to think twice about making this hotel our first point of call whenever we are in Brighton.....and neither should you. A+ + + + + +……….

Kwadwo & Marianna.

• Liked — Staff and the room
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Bedio