“weekend break”
Review of Cecil House Hotel

Cecil House Hotel
Ranked #67 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2014

lovely hotel, very friendly staff, willing to help you with anything, the hotel is very central, very clean, the rooms were adequate & as we went in December the room was nice & warm, the breakfast was excellent, fresh & value for money, a thank you to the manager for a lovely stay

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adrian h

Reviewed 7 November 2013

A lovely little hotel next to the beach. Great service, relaxing atmosphere and good breakfast. Well worth your while. Room was small, but adequate for my needs. I woulnd't have minded a lift, since my room was at the top floor, but they say exercising is good for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jukka H
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The breakfasts in this hotel were so good that (on my recommend) some friends staying at the Hilton Metropole next door came and had breakfast here. The poached eggs were done perfectly.
Housekeeping was not so good. On the last night of my four night stay the washstand/sink area was not cleaned, a dirty cup was still in the room and I had no coffee. A piece of tissue left on the floor stayed put all four days and the bedding was not changed. the bottom sheet on the bed was not even turned over or re-smoothed and put back in place for two nights.
The room looked pretty nice but the loo wobbled alarmingly and I thought the fancy shower was going to come off the wall as I struggled to work out how to use it (please shower manufacturers agree a standard for the controls)
generally okay, but perhaps a tenner less a night.
The mattress was way too soft and the only two pillows on the double bed were tired and hard
It was oct/nov but when I got to my room (no help with suitcase) the window was open and the radiator off. Brrr

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Welcome...

We were greeted at the door by an asian man who gave us no friendly welcome or smile and just basically told us to follow him. We were then led in to the reception area to check in. As we waited there were 2 men in suits (maybe managers) arguing in front of all the guests. Not a great first impression. We got checked in and then headed to our room which was 201.

The Room...

When we firt walked in we were hit with a smell of old mould and dust. The bedroom had iron beds that looked like something from prison. The bed linen was a dark snot green. The furniture was old and shabby. When we looked out our window there was scaffolding everywhere it was horrible. Tghe wardrobe was tiny and smelled like feet. The walls had make up marks on them. The carpet was not hoovered properly either. When we went to the bathroom we were disgusted. The toilet had fece marks in the bowl. The shower looked dirty and grubby. The whole place was horrible.

The Customer Service..

I immediately went to reception to tell them about my unhappiness with the room. I explained all the issues to Ed who just stared at me blankly. I told him I would be happy to leave with a full refund to which he immediately agreed. I was not offerd a different room or even a reclean he just did not want to know. He then said he would have to check the room before we were given the refund which was fine by me as we had only been in there 5 minutes. The nly thing we had touched was the beds as we pulled back the bedding to make sure the mattresses weren't as filthy as the rest of the place. When he returned he said he would have to charge me for the laundry costs for new bedding. This really shocked me and my friend and we assured him that for the 5 minutes we were in there neither of us had a nap and only touched the bedding to inspect the beds. He then said this was fine. So basically he is not going to change the bedding for the next unfortunate guests?? What a joke!

We left with a full refund and stayed in a beautiful hotel nearby.

Terrible room and even worse customer service!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank WhiteTee92
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cecil House last week for 3 nights and we were very happy as our room was small but had a FAB view of the old pier! The windows had lovely original shutters, bed comfy, shower, and large washbasin good, staff very helpful and friendly, room quite small! hence the shoebox! but good value for Brighton! So people who have given "negative" reviews.......just get a life! We will stay again. May and Howard Beevers from York.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are sea views, others are at the back facing an old church.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Me and 13 girls stayed here while on a hen party in Brighton, we read the reviews before we went and were horrified by the thought of staying here, however we were pleasantly surprised. It was absolutely fine, staff very friendly, rooms were perfect for what we needed, iron and ironing board in all rooms and tea making facilities, breakfast was really good and fresh. All in all a good time and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank AliBagg
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here for a hen do and for that purpose it was ok. The breakfast menu was perfect, and the service was amazing.

The only problem we had was that our shower kept blocking up and you had to turn it off mid shower just so that the water drained down.

When we told reception about it we were told, "It's because you have long hair". We then had to point out that it happened on the first day and none of us had washed our hair. They did then rectify the problem by pouring something down the plug hole, but I think the shower was dodgy as it still kept filling up, just not as much.

Watch out for the price of pre-booking breakfast as it can be a rip off compared to the cost of the actual items on the breakfast menu.

I would come here again for a holiday with friends but not for a romantic holiday as the room didn't seem clean and it depends how much this bothers you.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends