“Warm Friendly Welcome in a Great Location”
Review of Blanch House

Blanch House
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Warm Friendly Welcome in a Great Location”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

When Blanch House first opened about ten years or so ago it was the epitome of cutting edge cool. White leather all over the restaurant and prices to match. I imagine the growth of similar larger rivals made life difficult and the hotel passed into new hands a year ago.

Although the cold white leather has gone it has been replaced by a warmth generated by human kindness. The staff are all excellent; Charlotte and Greg excelled themselves and made me and my wife feel extremely at home.

The room was what we expected with the added twist of slightly mirrored flock wallpaper (don't worry it works) to give that Brighton weekend authenticity. The pub next door was a bit noisy but as we did not get back until well past closing time (it is Brighton, after all) that made no difference to our sleep. The breakfast was delicious and freshly cooked to order.

Parking is always an issue in this part of town but the offer of a parking permit made for an easier life.

I wish the (relatively) new owners every success with this venture - they've made a very good start.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a lovely small hotel near the seafront. Had the opportunity to stay in two different rooms and each one had lots of character and charm. Especially love the snow dome collection! The owners were wonderfully welcoming and friendly and the staff were also super nice. Breakfast was huge and yummy. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The giant bed in the Legacia-Room is probably the most confortable in the UK. I slept 9 hours straight - for the first time in years. Need I say more? I keep silent about the delicious breakfast, the kindness of the staff and the black british humour of the landlords - or you will think I'm bribed. Any negativ points? Well, it's not the cheapest Hotel in Brighton. But it's worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We recently stayed at Blanch House for the first time since it had changed hands. We have been coming for many years now and it was our favourite hotel. Sadly, since the change in ownership much of the charm of the place has been lost and almost everything we loved about the hotel has been altered. The rooms still have the same quirky bohemian style, but the late check out time has been changed, the lovely restaurant and breakfast room has been done away with, the amazing cocktail bar has gone..... and breakfast was a painful disappointment.

Not only were the breakfast timings changed so we had to get up earlier but the food itself was DIRE!! I make better breakfasts daily in my own home. The bread was the cheapest sliced and the cooked food pretty disgusting. The food at Blanch House used to be excellent, the breakfast one of the hotel's biggest attractions.

We were so so disappointed! This was our special place to stay and I don't think we will ever go back again. Why alter such a good thing simply for the sake of wanting to put your own stamp on it whilst still leaving the character essentially the same?! They've just removed some of the best aspects of staying there.

Plus, when we first arrived in our room the toilet had been used and not flushed! So either it hadn't been cleaned since the last guests or a member of staff had used it since and not flushed.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank A T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

What a fabulous experience Blanch House gave us. The staff were friendly and welcoming and helpful in every manner. The suite was beautiful and well-maintained, and such a comfortable bed! Breakfast was the best I have had from an hotel! There was space outside the hotel to park temporarily to drop luggage. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We took the opportunity to have a two nights away as the kids were away on school trips and having visited Brighton many times for a day only, we decided to stay overnight and we wanted it to be special. Blanch House is a gorgeous find and so much better than many larger hotels we've stayed at over the years. The staff were courteous and our room (Legacia) was fantastic, loved the homemade shortbread and cookies and I have to say bed was fantastic, best nights sleep in a hotel ever !
Breakfast was excellent and the staff were helpful with suggestions of things we could do. We have never visited Kemp Town side of Brighton but location was excellent for The Lanes (10min walk) and Kemp Towns great bars and cafes.
Parking was easy and you can get a ticket from Blanch House for 24 hours parking which is far far cheaper than the NCP.

All in all a fabulous couple of days in Brighton made even better by a special hotel.
Well run, Great Staff, great little bar and a everything a boutique hotel should be.

Winchester
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was made feel welcome as soon I arrived with my partner at Blanch House. I had been upgraded rooms for free as the hotel was quiet, which was lovely and considerate. Every detail is carefully thought about and taken care of with little touches like home-made biscuits in the room to make it seem extra special. The street is quiet yet central and I had the best nights sleep in ages, in a comfortable bed that was so wide I could sleep sideways on it! The room we stayed in (Poppy) was very tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean, I had a lovely night and felt it was money well spent. Compared to other 'boutique' hotels in the area this offered exceptional value for money without compromising on luxury. There was a wide range to choose from for breakfast and staff were very accommodating of any requirements. I would recommend Blanch house to any one staying in Brighton as it really did help make my stay for my birthday perfect. I will definitely be back again!