“Lovely B&B in Brighton”

Blanch House
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We were made to feel very welcome on our arrival by Kerry one of the owners.As my husbands case had been lost in transit on our flight from Crete via Athens to Heathrow Airport he only had virtually what he was standing up in which was shorts and tshirt they were so kind in offering to launder anything and have it ready the next day. Their attitude and kindness was so lovely and much appreciated until we could go and purchase more clothes plus get directions of where to get them from shops etc..
The hotel is just of Brighton Beach and a short stroll from Brighton Pier. Also very close to lots of cafes or fish and chip shops which are a must when visiting Brighton.
Breakfast is served in a lovely dining room which also serves as the bar area in the evenings.
It was very good quality with table service and excellent coffee of which is a little hard to find in England.
The only negatives I would say were dont book a room at the back of the hotel as it backs onto
the bar of another hotel next door and this can be very noisy as we found at around 12 oclock. It did go on for some time so made it hard to drop off to sleep as there was music going as well although I dont know if this was from the same place or further along the street as it is amongst many other hotels and accommodation places.
The other is parking as there are only a few spaces which are normally taken. You are given a voucher to place on the dashboard which does enable you to park reasonably close by approx. 2 blocks in our case but the cost of this just for our overnight stay was 9 pounds 50. In dollars around $15 so not really cheap at all as most other establishments have parking available at no cost. So I think it is something that has to be taken into consideration especially if its for a long stay.

Room Tip: Not at the back of the hotel on the left as the hotel next door is noisy . Perhaps have a look at...

Reviewed 28 June 2012

From the moment we walked through the door we received a wonderful personal service. The room was charming and the bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The breakfasts were delicious and the staff both helpful and friendly. While we were lucky enough to be upgraded - a real, unexpected treat - we would undoubtedly have given five stars anyway. This is the kind of hotel that you're not sure whether to tell your friends about, or keep it a secret so you can enjoy for yourselves again some day.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was really impressed with this hotel and would highly recommend it. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room itself was very clean and had everything I could need - TV, tea and coffee, a desk and chair. I slept very well - the bed was extremely comfortable and there was very little noise from the other rooms or outside. The en-suite bathroom was compact but perfectly serviceable with an excellent shower and an array of toiletries. There are a good range of options for breakfast and the full English I had was very tasty with as much toast and coffee as I could care for.

The hotel is near the waterfront and is about a 10-15 minute walk to the centre of town. It has its own bar - for guests (and their guests) - I didn't use it myself but it was nice to have the option of being able to unwind with a beer at the end of the day. Yes, it's not the cheapest but I think it was worth every penny and was very glad I stayed here - I had no complaints.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2012

When Blanch House first opened about ten years or so ago it was the epitome of cutting edge cool. White leather all over the restaurant and prices to match. I imagine the growth of similar larger rivals made life difficult and the hotel passed into new hands a year ago.

Although the cold white leather has gone it has been replaced by a warmth generated by human kindness. The staff are all excellent; Charlotte and Greg excelled themselves and made me and my wife feel extremely at home.

The room was what we expected with the added twist of slightly mirrored flock wallpaper (don't worry it works) to give that Brighton weekend authenticity. The pub next door was a bit noisy but as we did not get back until well past closing time (it is Brighton, after all) that made no difference to our sleep. The breakfast was delicious and freshly cooked to order.

Parking is always an issue in this part of town but the offer of a parking permit made for an easier life.

I wish the (relatively) new owners every success with this venture - they've made a very good start.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a lovely small hotel near the seafront. Had the opportunity to stay in two different rooms and each one had lots of character and charm. Especially love the snow dome collection! The owners were wonderfully welcoming and friendly and the staff were also super nice. Breakfast was huge and yummy. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The giant bed in the Legacia-Room is probably the most confortable in the UK. I slept 9 hours straight - for the first time in years. Need I say more? I keep silent about the delicious breakfast, the kindness of the staff and the black british humour of the landlords - or you will think I'm bribed. Any negativ points? Well, it's not the cheapest Hotel in Brighton. But it's worth every penny.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We recently stayed at Blanch House for the first time since it had changed hands. We have been coming for many years now and it was our favourite hotel. Sadly, since the change in ownership much of the charm of the place has been lost and almost everything we loved about the hotel has been altered. The rooms still have the same quirky bohemian style, but the late check out time has been changed, the lovely restaurant and breakfast room has been done away with, the amazing cocktail bar has gone..... and breakfast was a painful disappointment.

Not only were the breakfast timings changed so we had to get up earlier but the food itself was DIRE!! I make better breakfasts daily in my own home. The bread was the cheapest sliced and the cooked food pretty disgusting. The food at Blanch House used to be excellent, the breakfast one of the hotel's biggest attractions.

We were so so disappointed! This was our special place to stay and I don't think we will ever go back again. Why alter such a good thing simply for the sake of wanting to put your own stamp on it whilst still leaving the character essentially the same?! They've just removed some of the best aspects of staying there.

Plus, when we first arrived in our room the toilet had been used and not flushed! So either it hadn't been cleaned since the last guests or a member of staff had used it since and not flushed.

Very disappointed.