“Lovely New Year Stay”

Ranked #27 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
London
“Lovely New Year Stay”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed at Cowards again for the Newyear period my second time in 3months. This Guest House is certainly worth a stay. Gay friendly and owned. Gerry the owner is great with the Guets and full of info on the local area and where to go for a night out and nothing is too much trouble The room I stayed in was so comfortable and clean. The breakfast is fantastic and sets you up for the day. I have rebooked for Easter and will be staying at Cowards at every opportunity.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Warden Kent
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We cant thank Gerry at Cowards enough, A truly delightful Guest House that we were made so very welcome in, On arrival we met Gerry, whom showed us to our room a wonderful clean and well maintained fully serviced room it was to, This visit was more like visiting a darling aunt rather than a B&B advice was freely provided to the local area, breakfast was more than enough for a visiting rugby team ( if only ) nothing was to much trouble and in my eyes beats all the 4 star hotels on cleanliness and welcome, fantastic value for money and we are already planing our next visit to the wonderful Cowards Guest House, 100% recommended to all looking for a welcome thats home from home ...

Room Tip: we stayed in the bridal suit room no 2 and can only say we enjoyed the space and decor
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Iain M
London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I visited Coward's on Apr 14th - 16th 2012 for the marathon weekend. I was late in booking a room, having been let down by someone else, but this turned out to be my good fortune in finding this place. Even late booking though the prices were very reasonable, unlike some hotels i asked at where they seemed to increase as the day approached.
The welcome from Gerry was warm and immediately made you feel at home. The room (a large single room but with double bed) was nicely furnished, clean and pleasant. It had tv, with built in DVD player and even a small fridge in the room. Their was an en-suite shower and wash basin, with the toilet just next door.
What really made this place for me though was the service! On hearing that i had to be out early for the run on the Sunday, Gerry gave me muesli, milk, bananas and juice to keep in the fridge so that i could make myself something before i went. After the race they offered to do a late breakfast for me on the Monday to allow me to have more rest.
Throught my stay, whenever i needed information or help Gerry was on hand.
I am going back to Brighton for the marathon again next year and will certainly be booking in here for my stay. I hope to be back again before then too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Trefor B
Bournemouth
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here some time ago - friendly owners you never saw except at breakfast - no place to sit and chat except in your room - which was in need of modernizing as somewhat dated and faded. Very clean and tidy - but no indication as to why it is called Cowards - altho someone told me the owner was related to Noel Coward but not one single picture, theatre programme, nothing at all framed on the wall, no collage in memory to the great man and the vast body of his work, and it could be called Cowards for any number of reasons. No atmosphere.

Nice breakfast - a bit crammed in and no conversation over breakfast and for a gay hotel it was lacking that personal - intimate and friendliness that people want and expect these days. Eating breakfast with others at tables so close to you and no one is talking - even though I tried to get some into conversation, is worse than in a dentists waiting room. The very sweet and elderly owner did little to encourage conversation between his patrons and it was all a bit muffled.
I think - maybe - they have been there a long time.

I would return if in Brighton again.

Dreadful parking - be warned - Brighton is a nightmare to park - reloading the meter every few hours.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank slammer9
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I visited cowards in august whilst visiting some old friends in Brighton, Gerry and his partner were very good, had a lovely breakfeast every time i could manage to make it downstairs in time, the hotel is very close to the gay village area, my room was small but comfortable with a tv,fridge and kettle and someone called round every morning to see if i needed anything, tea/coffee/soaps etc....I WOULD EASILY RECOMMEND THIS GUEST HOTEL TO ANYONE NEW IN BRIGHTON

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank JUSTINPLASKETT
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stumbled into Cowards, after stupidly turning up in Brighton with no reservations! Gerry was able to accommodate us for the one night we needed.

The rooms are cosy and nicely appointed, if a little dated, but you can see that these rooms have been done to a high standard, the bed was very comfy, with lovely bed linen and a feather quilt and pillows.

yes this guest house is on a busy road and this produced some traffic noise, however closing the blinds and heavy drapes made the street sounds barely noticeable. The only thing that woke me during the night was the sounds of late night revelers on the street below my window....not much can be done about that though.

We would stay again, the breakfast was yummy and the proprietor Gerry was a warm and welcoming host, the beds are comfy, and the guest house is located in the heart of the cosmopolitan gay quarter of Brighton, with eateries and bars a stones throw away, and the pier a short walk.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eskimojosie
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Stayed here with my girlfriend for the weekend and can definately recommend it. It is no frills but the room is fine and the breakfast was spot on, so just what you want and expect from a B&B, plus was a bit cheaper than other places I tried so added bonus. The owner is great, very friendly and helpful. He also sells you a parking permit which believe me is a big plus! The only negative is that the shower could do with an upgrade,
as could the towels, hence why 4 stars not 5 but would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple