“Great value, location and comfort”
Review of Legends Hotel

Legends Hotel
Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Great value, location and comfort”
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Excellent value, we booked through Late rooms and got a half price deal. It's a very laid back hotel, rooms are spacious and clean. What more do you need?

Room Tip: Request seaview & upgrade to a deluxe.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I'll start on a high note with this one. The location of this hotel is excellent and the sea view rooms are among the best in Brighton. However, the first thing that lets this hotel down is the noise and the majority rude staff who treat it as a place to meet friends and talk to each other rather than serve the paying customers. I was aware that there is a club open to 3am in the basement and the large bar that is open till 5am and was prepared for some noise but what I wasn't prepared for was the noise from the smoking patio at the front of the building. This is advertised as a gay hotel so why does it always seem to be that the bar is full of loud, drunken straight girls who scream and shout loudly when they are on the smoking patio? The security guards outside make no attempt to ask anyone to keep the noise down and in fact some of them are as loud as the customers! It seems they are more interested in running a popular bar and club which happens to have rooms above rather than a hotel that happens to have a bar and club. When you go to the bar you are lucky to get served even when it's not busy as the staff spend most of their time talking to each other and moaning about their shifts or they're talking to visiting friends. The worst one is an older grey haired guy who should not be working in a front of house position. After waiting ages for him to stop talking to a colleague I politely asked if he could serve me and got a roll of the eyes and a barked "what" as a response. I have to say that this man is one of the rudest bar staff I've ever come across. I gt the feeling he's only here as he's a friend of the owner so he thinks he can get away with minimum effort and work as a result. Another gripe is regarding the housekeeping. For a hotel that has a bar open till 5am why do the housekeeping staff start knocking on doors at 10am when a number of guests wouldn't have gone to bed till late? There are no door hangers provided to place on the door handle asking not to be disturbed so everyone is woken up.

The biggest gripe I have is with the inadequate WIFi advertised and promoted on the website. It appears that the private owner just want's to make as much money as he can with the minimum investment. He has provided a standard domestic WIFi for a large hotel. This system is designed to work in a home environment not one where hundreds of people are trying to use it at the same time. This sort of penny pinching is disgraceful in a place that claims to be one of the best gay hotels in Brighton. I complained to a member of staff who confirmed they knew the system wasn't up to the job and simply commented "it is what it is".

Having spoken to other guests it appears that their is no consistency to room pricing as I was charged 64GBP per night for my standard double sea view room when others were charged a lot less for a similar room. As you can imagine this didn't make me very happy.

I have been told by one of the few decent members of staff that if you complain too much then you get barred from the bar and on occasions asked to leave the hotel. I thought this was Brighton not Communist Eastern Block country?

Overall this hotel is not worth the money unless you survive on little sleep and want to party 24/7.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Robbiecub
LegendsMO, Public Relations Manager at Legends Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
When writing this response, we were concerned that if we were totally honest about this customer's behaviour it would be too shocking for some readers. So have we have had to leave out some of the lowest points.

Legends is a party hotel, especially at weekends. We are called Legends, Hotel, Bar and Club to highlight this. Due to this we always suggest light sleepers are placed on higher floors. Our staff are probably the most friendly you will find in any hotel in Brighton. We have thousands of satisfied customers and many return to us year after year. Just check out the reviews across this and other websites.

This customer stayed with us for 10 nights, he did not complain about the noise, if he had we would have moved him or he could have gone to another hotel.

He was never polite and spent most of his time at the end of the bar drinking and barking orders at the staff. At one point he became so abusive to customers and staff he was asked to go back to his room by the grey haired man he mentions. In hindsight we probably should have asked him to leave when he became abusive.

As in all hotels, housekeeping is during normal hours. Our checkout time is Noon so housekeeping starts at 11am, not 10am. If a customer does not wish to be disturbed they can request this.

The customer could not know which WiFi system we used so he speculated or lied to try and prove his point. BT does not allow hotels to use standard domestic WiFi. Legends utilises two BT Business Broadband lines, these are the same type used in many hotels in the UK and WiFi is provided FREE. The quality is partly dictated by our distance from the exchange but is fine for normal customer use. This customer's problem wasn't that he wanted to use the WiFi normally, he wanted to watch a certain type of video site, some of which are banned by us. He complained about this and we said the WiFi is for normal use.

The normal price of a double room is between £75 and £85 per night, this customer had a discount due to length of stay. Other customers mentioned stayed in lower rated rooms or managed to get a special deal, these are sometimes available on our website. Get them while you can, they go quickly!

At Legends we always try to be as flexible as possible. We often provide early breakfasts, late checkouts, and even an upgrade here and there and due to customer feedback we now provide cheap parking.

We are right on Brighton's seafront, we have panoramic sea views, we provide a fantastic bar and sun terrace with a nightclub in the basement. All our customers get a yummy Full English Breakfast and WiFi for FREE. Legends really is what Brighton is all about and it's our goal to make sure everyone has a fantastic time.

Arran, Reece & the Legends Team.
Northampton
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed here for two nights one weekend in March and hardly moved out of the place. There is a decent bar and terrace overlooking the sea front, just minutes from the pier. There's a good, party atmosphere with a mix of different people all having fun. It's a gay run hotel, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great location and a reasonable, competitive tariff.
The room we had was at the side of the hotel, no doubt quieter than the ones above the bar at the front. The room was not spacious, but clean and perfectly adequate.
We ate lunch there on Saturday and enjoyed the breakfast on both mornings. The staff are efficient and friendly in a professional way.
I've already recommended this to several friends and would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Competitve prices, good fun and great location
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I stayed one night at Legends and had a single room on the second floor. The room was very small with a single bed against the wall, an LCD TV on the wall and a small wash hand basin on the other wall. There is a tiny ensuite with shower and loo. Check in was easy and the whole place is spotless.

I wasn't in the hotel much, only really overnight... and what a night! I turned into bed about 1:30am after a meal and a few drinks in Kemp Town. No sooner nodded off but was woken with banging on my door from other guests, then again with a noisy group of girls shouting. There is also a night club in the basement and the whole building shakes to the beat; this goes on until 5am. No rest at 5am when the revellers depart and hang around outside and then the binmen a bit later on The old single glazing doesn't keep the noise (or cold) out!

Breakfast was great with fresh, well cooked food and excellent service. A 5* effort for this.

The hotel is fine of you are going to join in the party until 5am, but if you want a good night's sleep try elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The hotel is lovely clean and fresh. We were pleasently greeted by the lovely staff upon our arrival. Was surprided by how small everything was though. This is not an option for larger people. We are two friends, who had ordered a double room. The bed was so small i practically were sleeping on top of each other, and the toilet/shower room was very small too. We did enjoy our stay very much, and were surprided that we could sleep through Friday-Saturday night without being woken up by the bar/club.
The only apparent gayness of the hotel is some of it's staff, which was quite nice. Everyone was lovely, warm and friendly
oh, and as a bonus, the bed was amazingly comfortable, just far too small for two people.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2011

What a great place to stay!
This was the first time
that I'd visited Brighton and I wanted to make sure that it was a great one.
Being the picky hotel-stayer that I am, it didn't take me long to choose this
hotel from the run down bunch that was on offer along the famous Brighton
seafront. Super helpful and friendly staff from start to finish. Nothing was too
much effort for them and even when I found out that they'd closed the restaurant
after breakfast (during winter season only), I was warmly informed that the pub
along the road did great hot food. Our room was spacious, clean and elegantly
contemporary, the bed was comfortable and linen freshly pressed. All this, along
with the deliciously fresh, cooked breakfast - always a winner in my world, a
stylish bar and trendy nightclub in the basement (which we could not hear), I
would definitely stay at Legends again and most certainly recommend it. 5* All
round.
My only Negative : Real fresh orange at breakfast would've been super,
but not such a bad thing to fail on!

• Stayed January 2011
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I stayed at Legends on the 8th January with my brother to celebrate a friends 40th. I have stayed at loads of hotels in Brighton and this is by far the best by far. On arrival a very nice scottish man advised me about parking, we were able to check in and even got given an upgrade :-) both our rooms were clean and comfortble. Ok the rooms are small but it's a hotel not a marque you want to sleep in. The beds/bedding even the pillows were all of exvcellant quallity. Plenty of towels. I have stayed at The Grand and the Thistle in Bighton and Legends is by far a much more comfortable and welcoming hotel. Every member of staff were friendly polite and very helpful. Even after the club closed at 5 by 10am the next morning the bar area was spotless and nicely laid out for breakfast which I have to say was super. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it to any of my friends and would even take my husband. Keep up the good work lads and don't listen to these over tired people. Cant wait to come back begining of April.

• Stayed January 2011