“Very Pleasent Stay”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasent Stay”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for just the one night Feb '14 after reading it's Tripadvisor reveiws, it lived up to what we was expecting, The room was comfy, clean and quiet, breakfast was first class and had everthing one would need to start the day. The staff were pleasent nothing was too much trouble and would recommend the Legends to all.

Room Tip: Try a Sea View it's right opposite the pier and big wheel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was attending a party for a friend who is immigrating to Canada later this month and needed a reasonably priced room in a central location, a quick search of reviews on Tripadvisor and I decided on Legends in Brighton. All of the reviews I had read where positive and as single female traveler I was confident that I would feel safe at this venue and I was not wrong.

I was allocated a standard single room on the second floor which was at the side of the building but still had a rather impressive partial view of the Pier & Wheel. The room itself was adequate in size with all the things you would expect (ironing board & iron, hair dryer, TV, kettle with a well-stocked tea & coffee supply) but I have to say was a tad bland and lacked any kind of personality for my liking. There were some maintenance issues that were instantly noticeable, stains on the blinds in the bathroom, the wardrobe handle was hanging off, but more importantly the beautiful sash windows (single glazed which would become a problem later on) were absolutely filthy - they were so dirty that they were almost opaque! Living of the South Coast myself I know how difficult it can be keeping windows clean, sea air and seabirds can make short work of even the cleanest window but these windows looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time – I was almost tempted to open them up and have a little clean myself just so I could see the impressive view! All of the above could easily be put right with a bit of TLC.

The shower cubical in the en-suite bathroom was tiny (and I mean tiny), the shower head was in a fixed position so no option to adjust to suit height which resulted in the full water spray full on into my face, and because there was no shelf/ledge in the actual shower I had to keep leaving the cubical just to apply shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. Also the temperature fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold without warning.

For any woman getting ready to go out there are two important things required: Firstly, a good mirror, there was no full length mirror, instead there was a small mirror next to the side wash basin (not in front of the basin like you would expect) which meant I had to rather awkwardly lean over the basin in a twisted position in order to apply makeup. Secondly, good lighting, which unfortunately my room did not have either, the room itself had two wall mounted up lighting units both with very low watt light bulbs and the bathroom was not much better. Considering both these factors it is a wonder that I did not go out looking like Coco the Clown!

Having read a lot of reviews on the hotel I did not expect noise to be a problem – how wrong was I!!! I returned to the hotel at about half past midnight (slightly intoxicated) to find a very lively bar, lots of people out on the terrace all having a really good time – nothing wrong with that at all! Three or four hours later however it was another story. The noise levels never decreased at all. Inside the hotel I could clearly hear loud music, there seemed to be a lot of people up & down the stairs and outside my room, as well as loud conversations. Outside the hotel the terrace seemed to be a Mecca to drunken party goers right up to 6am, there was a lot of traffic noise throughout the night and then the inevitable dawn chorus of the seabirds. The single glazed window offered no protection at all. This had got to be the worst night sleep I have ever had in any of the hotels I have ever stayed in. Being slightly intoxicated myself I did not feel in a position to complain about the noise, especially as I would had to do so by going back into the busy bar area to speak to staff, there was no one at reception at that time. In the morning I was so tired that I did not bother with breakfast, I just stayed in bed until checkout time. In retrospect I was naïve not expect high noise levels from a hotel on Brighton Seafront, with a built in bar & nightclub on a Saturday night!

Despite what I have said on this review I do still think that Legends is an amazingly unique venue. The staff were all so friendly and helpful and could not do enough for me. The place had an amazing energy about it, stylish, chic, and equally a real community feel to it. I really did consider leaving out all the ‘negative’ aspects of my stay, everyone was so nice, but this is a review site and the whole point is honesty. Sorry Legends staff :-(

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank GuernseyGirl22
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

In a brilliant location with views over the pier in brighton, this hotel is definitely fantastic when it comes to customer service. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and both breakfasts delicious. Our only negative really was the room which, for the price, was small. Our shower and toilet were each in a cupboard! The view, though, was great and the room was just a base for us and so wasn't really a problem. We'd use it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Not the cheapest place to stay. I used to stay more often but they put the prices up. Stayed for Miss Jasons Birthday Bash so got discounted room. Good clean room, stairs and hall recently renovated to a good standard. Sleep was faultless but I was drunk and the breakfast was very good also. Over all a great nights stay. :-)

Room Tip: the higher the room the less noise from down stairs
2 Thank apnrboys
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room, Very friendly staff, Extremely comfortable bed, Would not hesitate to stay here again already looking forward to our next trip to Legends ! Breakfast was just what I needed after a rather fabulous night and not getting to bed till gone 5 am !! Very central location with everything within a short walking distance.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAIENRM
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My partner and I have stayed numerous times at Legends Hotel, and have never been disappointed. This last weekend can be added to that list. The new Manager, Adam, greeted us warmly, and couldn't be more helpful and cheerful. Reece also welcomed us back, and Peter on Breakfast at the weekends greeted us like old friends and asked us all about what we had been doing with ourselves since our last visit.
The three things that stand out about Legends is the crisp, clean linen, the wonderful staff, and the fabulous cooked breakfasts!
If you like your sleep, try and stay as high up the hotel as you can, especially in the warmer weather, when everyone likes to be out on the terrace until 4am at least! Even high up, you will need ear plugs though. :-)
Look forward to our next stay, sometime in the summer!

Herts UK
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Rooms are great, clean and comfortable. We also had breakfast included. It was great you could have what you wanted from the menu or there was the continental option and plenty of everything.

All staff where exceptional always had a smile and asked you how you where, made my girlfriend and I feel very welcome indeed.

I will defiantly be staying here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple