“Not what I expected”
Review of Legends Hotel

Legends Hotel
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The bar and restaurant are very nice and the bartender was quite pleasant and funny. The Scottish man that checked us in was a bit of a grump. The rooms need updating. My room looked out towards the ocean, but scaffolding was up so it was right out your window. The hallways remind me of a cruise ship and the room and bathroom were quite small even though it was a premium room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I and my partner stayed in Legends hotel for 1 night while on holiday - midweek in March. We found the experience very pleasant. The hotel's staff was very friendly and accommodating and really went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect. Their customer service was WAY above regular expectation for UK mid-level hotel. On our request we got a free room upgrade that had a picturesque view of Brighton pier. Full English breakfast was very tasty with freshly made croissants and everything else cooked to perfection. Location is excellent too - very close to the pier, however we were not aware of much noise, close to good restaurants, classical music concert place nearby, night clubs and salsa dancing nearby, even motorbike parking just across the road. Room was a bit on the smaller side, but we did not mind at all - the bed was very comfy. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during a short break to Brighton and really enjoyed our stay. We had a standard double room on the third floor at the back, the room was a good size and the bathroom a little small but perfectly adequate. We stayed a Friday and Saturday night as we were going out and exploring the nightlife in Brighton so were expecting some noise (but it wasn't too bad, just a beat that could be heard really)when we went to bed about 3:30am but we were tired and slept very well, the blinds were very strong at keeping out a strong sun in the morning.
The breakfast was fantastic and served between 8am and 11:30am; a great continental choice of pastries, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals and juices then a great full cooked breakfast.

All the staff were very friendly throughout our stay, we will definitely be staying here next time we are in Brighton

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just moved to Brighton and visited frequently from London beforehand
To find a home. I have tried a Sunday lunch at at least 5 venues.
Last Sunday at Legends was by far the best, better than apparent notable
And rated establishments.

Food fresh, tasty, plentiful, very well cooked and pleasing to the eye.

Lewis looked after us so well and we had a table at the front, in anticipation of the afternoon cabaret at 4.

Lisa the chef popped out and said hi, I rightfully expressed my gratitude to her efforts, she was so humble and so charming......
........will be there every week, well done guys. All for a tenner !!!!! ;)

Visited March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed at Legends hotel for 2 nights midweek. The staff was very kind and pleasant. Location is perfect: on the seaside with many shops, restaurants and bars in the surroundings. The room we stayed in was nice, but a bit blend. Bed was good, bathroom very small. Breakfast was lovely. Will come back here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Herbie V
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for just the one night Feb '14 after reading it's Tripadvisor reveiws, it lived up to what we was expecting, The room was comfy, clean and quiet, breakfast was first class and had everthing one would need to start the day. The staff were pleasent nothing was too much trouble and would recommend the Legends to all.

Room Tip: Try a Sea View it's right opposite the pier and big wheel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was attending a party for a friend who is immigrating to Canada later this month and needed a reasonably priced room in a central location, a quick search of reviews on Tripadvisor and I decided on Legends in Brighton. All of the reviews I had read where positive and as single female traveler I was confident that I would feel safe at this venue and I was not wrong.

I was allocated a standard single room on the second floor which was at the side of the building but still had a rather impressive partial view of the Pier & Wheel. The room itself was adequate in size with all the things you would expect (ironing board & iron, hair dryer, TV, kettle with a well-stocked tea & coffee supply) but I have to say was a tad bland and lacked any kind of personality for my liking. There were some maintenance issues that were instantly noticeable, stains on the blinds in the bathroom, the wardrobe handle was hanging off, but more importantly the beautiful sash windows (single glazed which would become a problem later on) were absolutely filthy - they were so dirty that they were almost opaque! Living of the South Coast myself I know how difficult it can be keeping windows clean, sea air and seabirds can make short work of even the cleanest window but these windows looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time – I was almost tempted to open them up and have a little clean myself just so I could see the impressive view! All of the above could easily be put right with a bit of TLC.

The shower cubical in the en-suite bathroom was tiny (and I mean tiny), the shower head was in a fixed position so no option to adjust to suit height which resulted in the full water spray full on into my face, and because there was no shelf/ledge in the actual shower I had to keep leaving the cubical just to apply shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. Also the temperature fluctuated between scalding hot and freezing cold without warning.

For any woman getting ready to go out there are two important things required: Firstly, a good mirror, there was no full length mirror, instead there was a small mirror next to the side wash basin (not in front of the basin like you would expect) which meant I had to rather awkwardly lean over the basin in a twisted position in order to apply makeup. Secondly, good lighting, which unfortunately my room did not have either, the room itself had two wall mounted up lighting units both with very low watt light bulbs and the bathroom was not much better. Considering both these factors it is a wonder that I did not go out looking like Coco the Clown!

Having read a lot of reviews on the hotel I did not expect noise to be a problem – how wrong was I!!! I returned to the hotel at about half past midnight (slightly intoxicated) to find a very lively bar, lots of people out on the terrace all having a really good time – nothing wrong with that at all! Three or four hours later however it was another story. The noise levels never decreased at all. Inside the hotel I could clearly hear loud music, there seemed to be a lot of people up & down the stairs and outside my room, as well as loud conversations. Outside the hotel the terrace seemed to be a Mecca to drunken party goers right up to 6am, there was a lot of traffic noise throughout the night and then the inevitable dawn chorus of the seabirds. The single glazed window offered no protection at all. This had got to be the worst night sleep I have ever had in any of the hotels I have ever stayed in. Being slightly intoxicated myself I did not feel in a position to complain about the noise, especially as I would had to do so by going back into the busy bar area to speak to staff, there was no one at reception at that time. In the morning I was so tired that I did not bother with breakfast, I just stayed in bed until checkout time. In retrospect I was naïve not expect high noise levels from a hotel on Brighton Seafront, with a built in bar & nightclub on a Saturday night!

Despite what I have said on this review I do still think that Legends is an amazingly unique venue. The staff were all so friendly and helpful and could not do enough for me. The place had an amazing energy about it, stylish, chic, and equally a real community feel to it. I really did consider leaving out all the ‘negative’ aspects of my stay, everyone was so nice, but this is a review site and the whole point is honesty. Sorry Legends staff :-(

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo