“Good times were had”

Regency Hotel Brighton
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Super friendly service from the owner- did everything he could to meet our needs, including a tour of the whole hotel and a bit of background and history of the hotel and area. I was very excited to be upgraded to stay in the Dowager Duchess's old living room, looking out over that gorgeous balcony down to the sea. I think we stayed in the biggest bed I've ever seen, and we both had a fantastic, peaceful night's sleep. We'll be back when we're in the area. The owner also mentioned that they are re-doing the website soon to reflect the newly done up rooms, which will be nice. We were really happy with the whole experience- the friendly attitude of the staff was up our street and made us feel good about our trip.

Room Tip: We had the large double with a sea view- room 3. A beautiful room- the old Dowager Duchess's liv...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Regency Hotel Brighton

Reviewed 4 March 2013

A spur of the moment booking and my partner and I got the best room (No.3) which, as this used to be Winston Churchill's grandmother's house was originally her sitting room. Very spacious, well furnished, huge (king size) four poster, uncluttered sea view. Staff very pleasant. Breakfast great. Will certainly be booking in here again very soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

After my boyfriend booked this I looked at the past reviews and my heart sank. Me and my boyfriend even discussed bringing our own sheets to sleep on as we were so afraid of the hygiene issues mentioned. We didn't and there was no need.

The staff were friendly the place was clean, amazing location just opposite the old pier and a minutes walk into town. The decoration in the hotel is interesting with lots of old antique style pieces. Was so relieved and we even admitted we liked this place more than our usual haunt which was fully booked.

The price was a bit too much 80 a night so we probably would go back to our old haunt just as it's cheaper. But if we couldn't book there we would definitely try for a room here. The staff and management have obviously worked hard at turning the place around.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in a real igloo once but did not expect that from a well located hotel in Brighton. The Internet pictures only show the very best parts. I got I'll just being in the hotel 2 hours. Worst of all is the room price. We left the hotel and signed in at Hilton with all its amenities (best seaside location, warm facilities, launches, bars, good restaurants, spa with hammam, sauna etc) all which the Regency Hotel did not have but only costed 20% more. The Regency should cost GBP 80 - 90 for a family room instead of the GBP 180 that they charged. Hilton charged us GBP 220 for a 4 pers family room which was light years better than the Regency.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Carl Gustav S
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Fair play to the owners of this hotel, there was a bit of a mix up with our booking and they have literally bent over backwards to make sure all is well that ends well. I don't think I've ever experienced such great customer service! The hotel is the epitome of Brighton vintage chic, I love the decoration of the place. If you are looking for a true Brighton experience this is the place for you! Check out the website and see for yourself :)

We would definitely return on future weekends down to the peddled coast! Long live The Regency Brighton! Thank you again for being awesome! Xx

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I arrived late and was greeted by the charming owner, James. He was, and continued to be, extremely accomodating. Our room was a great size, breakfast was delicious and we had a great trip. Will return

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank James C
Reviewed 28 September 2012

This hotel is awful. My room was in a very bad state of repair, with a hole in the ceiling in the bathroom around the light, a hole in the wall in the closet. I had trouble getting the window closed and figuring out how to lock the bedroom door. The desk had been cut so that you could close the bathroom door. Decor and carpets were very old.

I'd come back to my room each day to find the door unlocked (anyone could have walked in). I was not supplied with clean towels. Housekeeper just emptied the bin, made the bed and folded the towels. One evening I ran out of toilet paper and there was no one around to get more.

On check out I asked if I could leave my bags for the day and come back for them. They said yes, so I duly left them in reception. However, when I came back to collect them there was no one there. I banged on the door and rang the bell over and over and over - nothing! I tried to call them but the phone number was directed to another phone where there was only an answer machine message. I had no way of contacting anyone and had to be at the station within an hour. I kept banging on the door and phoning. But nothing. I requested help from adjacent hotels but they didn't know how to contact the owners.

In the end I had to call the police or I'd miss my train and be stranded. The police advised me to find another way in whilst they tried to find some other phone numbers for the owners. The back door was also locked. Whilst on hold with the police I found a basement door, which I managed to get open and eventually get up to reception to collect my bags. I then had a mad dash to the station where I arrived sweaty and flustered with just minutes to catch my train.

This was a nightmare experience and 45 mins of blind panic thinking I was going to be stranded.I also noticed a sign in the window when I left that said CLOSED. Closed? at 5pm in the afternoon? What kind of hotel is closed then?

This hotel is neither clean nor safe. DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, despite some of the curiously positive reviews on this page.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business