“What a view”

Ranked #33 of 167 things to do in Brighton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a view”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

While it's sad that the Pier has burned down, it is still a remarkable sight to see. My wife and I walked by on the beach and was mesmerised by the beautiful ruins.

Visited May 2014

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
243 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 249 helpful votes
“So sad...”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I remember the West Pier as a child (as a boy born in Brighton) never open but certainly intact. I also remember the many promises to renovate and reopen it. I always hoped this would happen after hearing tales of the pier from my parents, grand parents and even my great grandmother. I hadn't visited Brighton for many years and I certainly had a tear in my eye when I saw what was of the pier.

It is a wicked shame that this beautiful icon was allowed to decay.... I realise that some unfortunate events did befall the pier but I have literally seen the pier die in forty years. It is worth visiting... If nothing to contemplate what might have been...

Visited April 2014
1 Thank MRB01
Guildford, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good for the view... nothing more...”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

It's very interesting to visit but only to admire the structures and the views...
The amusements are very poor...

Visited September 2013
Essex
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Pier no more”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

As other reviewers have commented, the burnt out ruins of Brightons West Pier can't really be described as an 'attraction' but it is an interesting peek into the past. Visiting the pier inspired me to research into it's history & it is facinating to see the pier in its heyday.

Visited September 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A stunning scene”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I have to say I think that the pier and posts make an iconic view of the sea, I love the way it has been left, and hope it stays as it is - pure art and the artist who made sculptures of people out to sea surely got inspiration from this magnificent sight.

Visited June 2013