“Don't stay here”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was quite possibly one of the worst hotel experiences I have had in a very long time. The only good thing to say is the sea view rooms have a lovely view.

The hotel and staff are tired. The lifts were dirty with food crumbs for the two days and night I was there. The room whilst spacious had no full length mirror, ring marks on the tables and the bathroom tiles were dirty and the bath had a split along the side of it.

The sash windows had toilet tissue stuffed between them and I found out why at 2 am in the morning as the wind whistled through the gap.

I had booked this hotel as it said is had a spa.....the steam room wasn't working, the pool miniscule.

Breakfast was cold and the fruit unedible - the staff were surly when asked for a hot cup of tea.

I do not expect this from a hotel costing £139 for the night for a room and would not recommend it, even to an enemy.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Queens Hotel

Reviewed 28 November 2011

This was my fourth visit to the Queens Hotel in Brighton. The location is brilliant - right by the sea and the pier. The breakfast is tasty and filling and has a decent choice. The rooms are big but could do with some updated furniture. Some of the furniture looked like something you'd throw out of your own home. That being said, I do love this hotel. Good cocktails in the bar and good service throughout. I will return soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KateLondon_9
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Dont stay here, this is the first time I have written a review EVER but felt It would be mean not to we paid £139.00 for a double room, on arrival we were asked to pay upfront (never experienced this before) in hindsight i know why, the first room we were given was top floor, tiny couldn't see out of window as the roof wall was outside our window also there was noisy seagulls walking around on roof, so we asked to move, second room was ok but grubby,
we were with a group and attending "The magic of Motown" at the conference center, by the time we went up to bed we were very tired so was looking forward to a good nights sleep, however being opposite a night club this didn't materialize as the queue was noisy and never ending this along with loud music kept us awake all night,
at breakfast we found out other members of our group had also been kept awake despite being at other ends of the hotel, this hotel doesn't even have double glazing, breakfast was poor, I did complain but was only offered a late checkout and an upgrade for next time!!
this was when it became clear why they ask for advance payment, the staff were friendly and as helpful as they were able to be but everything else was rubbish, I used to look at these reviews and not take all comments into consideration as i was under the impression that they were written by fussy people....I am not fussy or sad but my time and money are precious and not to be wasted!

Room Tip: Dont go there
Reviewed 28 November 2011

1 x double room. Quite small and despite a refurb felt a little tired around the edges. There were scratch marks in the bath tub, pieces missing from the shower, towels clearly old and rough and scratchy. Carpet worn at entrance to bathroom.

Single glazing meant the noise from outside from the third floor was horrendous. I understand this is outside of the control of the hotel but the Friday I stayed there was constant noise and fighting and screaming until 0515 which meant for a poor nights sleep. Just a word of warning. If you want a peaceful night stay elsewhere.

Free wifi is a good however.

Would not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Stayed in a double bedroom (415) for 2 nights and honestly have very little to complain about. yes there was some noise, but there is very little the hotel can do about this. If you want a good location, you have to be willing to hear some people coming out of bars. It really didn't keep us up though. the room was small but nicely decorated and very clean. the shower needed some pressure otherwise the bathroom too was fine.

The gym and pool were great and were rarely busy. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty (although my partner did point out the lack of mushrooms). The service was great and the hotel bar felt like a bar in it's own right. (£6 for two cocktails sunday-thursday was also a highlight).

Overall I was very happy with my stay and for £55 a night for 2 people (including breakfast) it was more than a steal. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

The Queens Hotel is well located for Brighton beach, Lanes and Promenade but there the good news ends.

The first surprise is that one has to find parking in a municipal parking garage or on the street with no help from the Hotel.

The rooms are of mixed quality but my double was more "Faulty Towers" than Brighton chic. The ceiling light had no shade which made it like a station waiting room, If it was off the overall lighting dropped little as there is a flourescent purple spot light just outside the window. With only one bedside light it was lucky I was alone when it came time for bed time reading.

The ensuite was cramped and not clean, I opted to shower in the fitness area, in all fairness the basement swimming pool was one of few good highlights.

The management were only semi competant with an order for afternoon tea missed and an inability to charge bar bills to residents without major consultations.

I was due to change rooms due to the spot light outside my window when my friends also staying in the hotel reported that they couldn't sleep in their rooms due to noise from late night revellers.

It is a shame that the impression is so negative as the location is excellent and makes seeing the sights of the town very easy.

All in all one to miss unless they make a huge effort.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Our first trip to Brighton was lovely from the start, the staff at the Queens Hotel were so welcoming and happy to help. A wonderfull large room with a superb view with ceiling to floor windows (109) ? at a great price. Brighton had a buzz even in November, the centre has lots of shops (not full of second hand charity shops) and even the people in the shops and taxi drivers were so chatty and lovely. we would go back there in a minute.

Room Tip: we did pay £20 for a room with a view, well worth it.