“Nice hotel but horrible service”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Nice hotel but horrible service”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed here with my parents and was not impressed from the very beginning - we came in and were greeted by a 'senior receptionist' (surely this would imply she knows what good customer service is?!) who asked for our name - we told her and she immediately said 'you can't check in till 3', even though we rung from Australia and checked on booking.com where both said 1pm, we also reconfirmed this by calling a few days earlier and again they said 1pm. We explained all this to the lady who was so extremely rude saying we made it up because no one would tell us 1 when the check in time was 3, so we're liars. All three of us were appauled that she would actually tell us we were lieing - even though we had documents showing we were told this. We then demanded to be let into our room as we had planned our train ride around this time and did not want to sit around for 2 hours in the snow - she told us she would check if one was available the same as we had booked and she then told us there was one.

Eventually we got into our room and it appeared that she was a liar - she had told us that as we had ordered an extra bed it would have to be put up, but when we got into the room it was already there, so it appeared to be the room we had originally asked for... perhaps she just didn't want to let us in??

The room was big and had a stunning view over the beach as requested but it STUNK. It smelt like smoke and staleness. It was very bare and empty and there were huge structural problems where the rain had come in from the roof and split the walls and lifted the carpet. The window barely opened and the bathroom was clean - but far from spotless.

It took ages to get to sleep because there were constantly children run up and down the hallways and when we rung reception to complain they told us it wasn't there problem and there was nothing they could do...

Breakfast was average, service was poor - staff seem disinterested and at times, bored.

I would never stay here again and tell people to stay away!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Booked back in the summer for a Monday night in January 2013, staying with two girlfriends in a triple single bed room. I had to call once when I lost the card I booked with to hold the reservation - no problems at all. On arrival we were delighted to be offered Room 200, a "family suite" - one good double bedroom with TV etc, and another bedroom with a double and a single and TV. This room also awarded a view of the sea, through floor to ceiling windows. Standard bathroom but clean and tidy. We ate that evening at the hotel (snow had fallen heavily over the weekend and we weren't feeling adventurous). Very big helping of fish and chips, with mushy peas and tartare sauce. Some cocktails on a 2 for the price of 1 offer between 5pm and 9pm (at £7 - great value).

The rooms were warm at night, but lots of noise from the nightclub - snowball fights at 3am on a Tuesday morning. They are made of sterner stuff down on the coast! Busy breakfast serving - we were offered a table in an adjoining room. No surprises, fruit, croissants (lovely), cereals, cooked breakfast in serve yourself containers.

Didn't use the swimming pool although we had planned to - just didn't feel very comfortable dipping while the gym users looked on. Would have liked some lamps in the front bedroom - all comfort seemed to be in the "Ma & Pa" room.

All the staff were helpful. All in all, very pleased.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Beckenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

a little gem a stones throw from the pier and with front bedrooms and bar/restaurant overlooking the sea. very well appointed inc wifi in public areas and some but variable signal in some room, good range of free to air sat TV, nice little pool and gym, staff excellent, bar etc quite stylish. judging by breakfast, eating there is fine. Nice relaxed atmosphere and staff are friendly and helpful.useful pull-in area in front of hotel to unload etc and about 5-10 mins walk to nearest cheapest public parking (Regency Sq) and more expensive parking 2 mins away...such is parking in Brighton and common to vast majority of hotels. We had room upgrade to suite which was fantastic so i guess our impressions have been coloured by that. only downside is rooms to rear can be noisy as over a club. overall excellent experience and best of the many (including the very big) hotels we have tried in Brighton. excellent for all the tourist stuff (pier/beach, the Lanes , food & drink etc). would def. go back again on a suitable 'deal (e,g via booking.com or direct negotiation) as rack rates are quite high

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

my friend + i stayed at the queens hotel on the 20th jan- 21st jan, on arrival we were offered a better room for extra money but the room we had booked was quite adequate for us so we did,nt upgrade, the hotel was very clean as was room although some furniture needs updating. we used the swimming pool which was nice but the ladies changing rooms were so cold we didnt use it again.The bedroom was lovely + warm all night + the shower great lots of hot water. Breakfast was a bit of a let down not a lot of choice + tea + coffee poured out per cup from thermos + not very hot we prefer a pot on table. Not sure if i would use this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the queens for one night in January. As it was for a special occasion I paid extra for a sea view which admittedly was very impressive overlooking the peer.
Room was basic but very clean with comfy bed.
The hotel is right next to the lanes so ideal for shop and restaurants.
The breakfast was a buffet and the food decent.
I have a few gripes. One, for a freezing Saturday in January when the hotel was early far from full the room was particularly expensive. I paid £145 for the night which I think was too much in hindsight.
Also it was quite noisy though out the night both from people outside spilling out of pubs/clubs in to the small hours and in the morning from the rooms above and adjacent.
Finally the spa in basic and the sauna was out of order when we stayed.

Ive stayed at several hotels in Brighton and on the whole we really enjoyed the stay and I would recommend it but not at that price.

Search online for a better deal.

• Stayed January 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

What should have been a spa weekend for my partner’s birthday ended with a fully charged credit card and a weekend at home. After Amber snow warnings,'AA' essential travel only advisories and Southern trains all but at standstill, made even worse by the fact that since booking I had been plastered wrist to shoulder with multiple injuries. Therefore, sensibly 24 hours before arrival I called Booking.com and asked if I could cancel/postpone my reservation given all of the above. They contacted the hotel and asked, Unfortunately, I was told to call the next day after checking on the weather and transport situation. Next day all of the above were still the same, so I called the hotel direct and explained that it would be dangerous and against travel warnings to attempt to travel today, especially given the next few days were advertised as even worse, therefore, I believed it would be irresponsible to take such risks. I was told it was non refundable (which I understand, as I am in the hospitality industry myself) so I pleaded to postpone or to at least have a disability room (all they could offer was a larger room with space for a wheelchair, but not DDA equipped). Postponement would mean a date immediately and a 100% increase in charge. I then called Booking.com and asked if they could help, given when the volcanic ash disrupted transport and hotels in a similar fashion two years ago, could they ask Queens and Ricardo to show some discretion and empathy to my situation. I offered to send photographs of my injuries if that would help. Booking.com tried valiantly to negotiate with Ricardo, but he was stubborn, ungracious and damm right inflexible, particularly about giving a new date at that time, without being able to check our work schedules. Therefore, I am sadly reporting that Queens Spa hotel is inflexible, ungracious and not inline with National travel warnings or equipped for DDA guests. I visit many hotels with spas, but this won’t be one. I hope Ricardo and the GM of Queens on reading this will donate my charges to charity.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria A
cathalfletcher, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
For TripAdvisor users who have read your review , I think it is only fair that I clarify some key issues however which are not included in your comments.

Your booking was a "non refundable" booking. This booking type is usually at a discounted rate , but the conditions on it are that you can not cancel , nor can you change the date.

Although this was your booking type , as a gesture of goodwill because of the weather conditions, you were offered the option to change the date of your booking to an alternative date up and until the end of April , which you decided you would not take up.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel with spa facilities, fairly busy with fantastic view. Stayed there with my wife for weekend break, room we were staying had a fabulous sea view. Spa facilities are fairly good for the price of the hotel, close walk to Brighton pier and also close walk to the town centre. Breakfast is good and in form of the buffet, staff is friendly and professional. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple