“Bring earplugs!”

Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Bring earplugs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with my Mum for a weekend's shopping. On arrival we asked to be upgraded to a room with a sea view (this was suggested when we phoned to book) but were told the hotel was full so we couldn't. Our room was big and clean and the bathroom was great. pool and gym were also lovely.
However, on the Friday night we didn't get to sleep til about 3am, due to the noise from outside. As well as the nearby clubs and bars, our room appeared to be on top of a club!
Same on the Saturday night- despite my new earplugs, I could still hear the noise, and it was louder than the previous night!
The other downfall was the breakfast. As mentioned by other reviewers, the toasters were awful, lid broken on the warmers and choice and quality poor.
We won't be going back.

Room Tip: Get one high up facing the sea.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo B
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
Brighton is a great city for shopping , amongst other things , as Im sure both you and your mum discovered.
I am always very happy to hear that guests enjoy their rooms , the pool & gym etc., and it is a delight to see that this was also the case for you.
I must apologise for any noise intrusion you may have experienced from late night revellers , but due to our central location , there are the odd instances where this can happen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very nice stay, great value and the room was all clean, fashion and with a comfortable bed & nice bathroom. Location couldn't be better, in front of Brighton Pier, beginning on promenade and beach. The breakfast was really good too and well organised.The Spa facilities are very nice as well, all the staff so kind and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laura r
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable visit , and that you are already thinking about your next visit !
Honiton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We thought at £145 for the night we would be in a comfortable hotel. We were delighted to be upgraded to a sea view room on arrival.
However the decor was shabby, carpets thread bare on the stairs. The window with secondary glazing was misty with mould spots.
The bathroom was tiny. I could not open the glass shower screen over the bath to switch the shower on so scalded my arm.
Breakfast was cold, I did tell the waitress who said she would deal with it and turned up the warming trays - too late for me. The tea was served from a flask and was stewed; the tables had no cloths on with the varnish peeling and patchy.
On checking out no one asked about our stay, staff were indifferent.
We paid never to return again.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline K
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
i was sorry to read that there were one or two aspects of your stay which disappointed you.
For issues which may arise in your room such as a shower curtain that you had difficulty with , it is always advisable to contact a member of our team , and we then are in a position to rectify matters for you. We want all our guests to experience a value for money visit , but if this is not the case , we need to be made aware of this in order to address these matters .We have a maintenance team who work seven days ca week and they would have been more than happy to have assisted had they known of the issue.
When you brought a matter to our restaurant teams attention , I was glad to see that they were able to address this for you.

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

If your hotel requirements demand, scuffed woodword, cracked plaster, dirty walls, cold plates, lukewarm food, toasters that do not work.
Look no further this is the hotel that will tick all your boxes.

Unfortunately those items were NOT on my must have list so I shall not be visiting the Queens Hotel again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Oracle1957
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
Please accept my apologies for any aspect of your stay that did not meet with your requirements.
Certainly , had you made any of your concerns known to a member of our team during your stay , we would have done what we could to address these concerns.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here on a Monday night for Business as was giving a conference speech in Brighton the next day for 3 hours from 9am. Chose the hotel due to great location and reasonable price so thought I'd found a gem. Got me head down at about 10:30 pm as would need to be up early at 6 and then reality hit home. The hotel must be on some kind of route for student pub crawlers as there was a constant stream of noise from when I turned the lights out through to well after 4 am. It also seemed as if it backs on to a night club somewhere as you could hear the bass of the music and the the music itself until the early hours. The noise was unbearable so I gave up trying to sleep at about 1am. God only knows what it would be like on a Thursday-Saturday as we are talking about a Monday night. I was on the second floor at the back of the hotel which for most hotels is usually the quiet side. Other reviews on here note the same issue even when higher in the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that you had issues when trying to sleep caused by noise from people passing the hotel.
Unfortunately , due to our very central location , there can be some noise intrusion on occasions from passers by , and I must apologise to you for this having been the case.
For your future visits , we suggest higher rooms on our seafacing side , which tend to be less likely to be affected.
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We had a one - night stopover in Brighton & as this hotel was central & right on the seafront, we took advantage of the special offer on their rooms.
Reception was friendly & efficient & our room on the 4th. floor was warm, comfortable, clean & had every facility a traveler could need, especially a comfortable bed.
My wife went for a swim in the indoor pool & from what I saw of the gymnasium, it was well equipped & busy.
The only problem we had was some early morning revelers leaving some nearby club & making a lot of noise, but they soon passed.
Breakfast however, was our biggest disappointment.
Apart from tea or coffee being offered as we took our seats, the rest of the breakfast was
self - service which is fine but one of the toasters did not work & the other one was painfully slow which led to a bottlekneck at this point for which the waitress could only apologise.
The hot offerings were bacon, sausage, fried bread, scrambled egg, baked beans & tinned tomatoes.
Bacon was ok but the quality of the sausage was cheap & the fried bread was very greasy,
whilst the scrambled egg was stodgy.
The lid cover for the beans & tomatoes was broken & just did not work in keeping the food hot & so all in all, not a great breakfast.
I must add that there was fresh & tinned fruit, pastries, cereal & fruit juice available aplenty as well.
All in all though, for what we paid for our night's stay, we did get reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Higher floors are much less likely to be disturbed by late-night revelers.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I must apologise for how you found your breakfast experience to be disappointing. It may have been that it was a particularly busy time of the morning when you arrived. I will of course pass on your valuable comments to our Food & Beverage team.
Your review finished by saying that you felt you had received an overall value for money experience , and I am indeed very happy to read this.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked a twin room with my daughter for an overnight stay recently. I paid £65 on booking.com (sorry, Trip Advisor) including full English breakfast and didn't expect much; I know Brighton well and the hotel looks pretty worn out on the outside.
However, we had room 317 with a double and a single bed. We were overlooking a side street with a sideways view of the pier and of the Laynes (it would be difficult to find a better Brighton location). I was pleasantly surprised! The room has undergone some refurbishment - the bathroom is new and very nicely done, the beds and curtains were also new, there is a new, flatscreen TV and the room was very clean and comfortable (apart from the windows, which needed a clean on the outside).
It is true to say that I was woken in the early hours when nearby clubs emptied out nearby, but the noise quickly subsided and I went back to sleep without a problem.
Unfortunately, I had to miss breakfast which didn't start until 7 in the morning, but my daughter said it was good.
Given what I paid, I cannot complain about anything, to be honest. Thank you very much, Queen's Hotel! I will certainly stay again!
We didn't use the spa or pool, so I cannot comment on these facilities.

Room Tip: I would guess that higher rooms at the front of the hotel (facing the sea) could be quieter. Our roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to see that both you and your daughter had an enjoyable stay at our hotel , and your comments and feedback about the refurbishments to the room are indeed very beneficial to us.
We look forward to your continued custom.