“Perfect location, fabulous view, helpful staff..... AWFUL breakfast!”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Wonderful welcome, efficient, friendly and helpful reception staff, massive, well equipped room (I stayed in room 208 with my 5 year old son), with a standard double and a super-kingsized bed. Plenty of plump pillows, white linen, blackout curtains.......

My son was overjoyed with the big flatscreen tv, and huge deep bath. I was pleased to have a mini bar and a sofa to enjoy the unbeatable views of the beach and both piers.

The largest of the 3 windows in our room had been sealed shut, and the other 2 were limited to only opening a few centimetres for safety reasons - but the hotel had provided a fan in our wardrobe, so we were able to keep the room fresh and cool.

We had no seagull issues - although my little man would probably have loved them paying us a visit!!

We used the pool, which was a welcome benefit and one of the reasons I chose to stay at the Queens. My only complaint would be a bit of an odour around the pool, as if the drains had backed up - so slightly unpleasant, but no intolerable for our short swim.

My only real complaint about our stay was breakfast.... which is one of the worst I've ever had in a hotel. The buffet was ALL stone cold.... scrambled eggs were rubbery and hard, bacon greasy and tough, hash browns were soggy - the only edible element was the tomatoes, but you can't go far wrong opening a tin, and I don't mind them cold. My tea was served in a chipped mug, and was also cold; and my son helped himself to a glass of water from the juice dispenser only to find it was sparkling water (no option for still water) Who serves fizzy water at breakfast??! The toast was fine, but we made that ourselves - only 2 choices of jamthough; no marmite, honey or nutella option for kids. Very disappointing and I am sure they could do so much better. I left and took my little boy to costa for a decent cuppa and bite to eat that he'd enjoy.

Sadly the breakfast for many would be the last, and therefore lasting impression of the hotel..... I do hope they take note!!! We'd definitely come back again, as overall we had a really nice stay - but would be asking for a discount for not accepting their terrible breakfasts.

Room Tip: Sea View is well worth a few extra £'s!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I was sorry to see that your breakfast experience put a slight damper on what by all accounts would have been an ideal visit .
I shall feedback your comments to our Food & Beverage team your comments , and they can address the concerns raised.
It is great to see that you are already thinking of returning , and I totally agree with you that it is always best to book one of the seaview rooms !

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in perfect location for Brighton Pier. It is right on the sea front and central for most places.

The hotel itself is ok although it requires a slight refurb.
The rooms are a little worn.

The only issue I had was that there is ledges outside most of the bedroom windows. This means large seagulls sit outside the window squawking and pecking at the window very very early in the morning. By place spikes on the ledges would stop this happening.
Obviously being on the seafront means you will hear birds but you don't need them hammering on your window at 4:30am.
If the hotel would apply this simple preventive measure it would rid this issue.

Staff were welcoming and friendly.
Rooms were clean but had a slight funky smell. Carpets could do with a clean.
Breakfast was ok.
Good hotel but not really worth the £200+ price tag. You are paying for the location more than the actual room.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor , and also for your suggestion with regard to the seagulls. We shall certainly give this some consideration.
I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your overall visit and found our staff to have been friendly. We hope to see you back again in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have stayed here many, many times. The rooms are predictably samey. The building is old and this gives the wonderful feeling which comes with the high ceilings in the rooms. The front desk staff are INCREDIBLY wonderful and helpful and welcoming. They give you all the information you need and it really is a very comprehensive hotel. The bar staff were wonderful and we took advantage of the happy hour of 2 for £7 cocktails, two nights. We had a look at the gym and pool downstairs and with the best intentions was going to go down, but life and outside fun and great weather got in the way. It is a good gym and have had a swim in the pool in the past, just beautiful. I keep coming back. But I also look at the room prices and shop around because sometimes it can be pricey. If it fits in with our criteria, the Queens Hotel will always be my first choice of a hotel in Brighton.

Room Tip: Whichever room you stay in, it is such a busy location with lots of clubs and bars in the vicinity...
1  Thank Heather B
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to see that as a regular visitor to Brighton , you find that our hotel meets with your criteria each visit.
Our front desk staff indeed are a great team , and I shall pass on your comments to them.
Thank you for your continued and ongoing custom.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel four times in the past year, and we always stay in one of the lovely tower suites. We always enjoy our stay, and this time was no exception, however there are a few things that let the hotel down every time we stay.

1) Lack of dressing table in room- makes it very difficult to get ready to go out out, there are no plugs or decent mirror/lighting together which is not something you expect from this sort of room
2) Breakfast- the "hot breakfast buffet" is cold every single time we stay. As I am pregnant, I didn't feel it was safe to eat reheated, cold food, so was rather disappointed.

Bathrobes in the bedroom would also be a nice touch. T3 was a little tatty in the bathroom and the carpet was moldy around the window which again, for this level of room is not something I would expect.

We had arranged a 12pm checkout and were disturbed three times between 11am-12pm, which is obviously down to staff mis-communication. Once was fine- by the third time I was a little annoyed!

With a few extra touches, these wonderful rooms would truly be worth the £250+ a night that they charge!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah L

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to see that your visit with us was overall an enjoyable one , and thank you for highlighting some points that we can improve on.
I shall discuss these with the team , and we shall incorporate your feedback into our service for the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my sister stayed here for 2 nights for a couple of days away. We were really impressed with the room, it was a big bright room, the view wasn't the best but we had stated a city room so no problem, plus the fog was so bad we wouldn't of been able to see anything anyway! The swimming pool and sauna were lovely and nice and clean. Breakfast was basic, pretty cheap ingredients (sausages, bacon) I think but for the price it was great! Location was the big plus for this hotel, close to the pier and the lanes with the lovely shops. Would definitely stay again, thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted that you and your sister both enjoyed your recent visit. Yes , the fog we had was quite intense I must say , but at least it didnt seem to put you off enjoying the shopping in the Lanes!
It is great that you found your room to be spacious and comfortable too, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I don't have a bad thing to say about this hotel - loved every minute of our stay. We were in room 414 which was a perfect size for us, very clean, very cosy and the bed was so comfortable. Loved that there were new biscuits for our tea put in on both mornings of our stay.
The front desk staff were welcoming and friendly, the breakfast options were brilliant and we loved the pool and sauna. Great location with lots of stuff to do and shops to visit and some lovely restaurants too. Highly recommend, next Brighton visit will definitely have to involve this hotel!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
It is so great to see that you had such a great stay when you visited recently , and how lovely to see that your next visit to Brighton "will definitely involve this hotel" !!
I shall pass on your comments about our reception team also , and we shall no doubt be seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed for one night as my daughter had an interview at the University.Normally triple rooms are on the small size but the room we were allocated was huge.Exceedingly well maintained and we were surprised and delighted at the accommodation and the very reasonable price.
Staff were charming and helpful and there was an excellent choice at breakfast.
Good location for the Lanes,bars , restaurants and the pier which is almost opposite.
The hotel does not have a car park.
However you can park at the Thistle hotel next door and when you leave the hotel gives you a voucher so that you have a reduction. Still pricey but parking in Brighton is not cheap!! Currently £10 overnight and £20 for 24 hours.
Would be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
QueensOperations, Operations Manager at Queens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your visit , and found your stay to be pleasant and charming.
I hope your daughters interview at the university went well , and no doubt we will be seeing more of you and your family in the future.